Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Ethernet Data Corruption

Ethernet Data Corruption

RL

Hi,

I have an Asus P5B Deluxe motherboard, and I am seeing data corruption
when using either of the two built-in Ethernet ports on this system.

Mounting a drive and doing an MD5 across the network will result in
different results each time (same happens with SMB and NFS). If I put
another Ethernet card in the system, data corruption does not occur. The
files I am using for testing are large, 4.5-7GB each, and a small number
of errors often occur, usually single-bit errors.

I have spent hours diagnosing the cause of the problem, ruling out the
cabling, switch, hard drives and system memory in the process. I'd hoped
the solution is going to be as simple as a driver update, but I'm now
using drivers from early this month, and there is no change.

Has anyone had any similar experiences?

Vista SP1 x64.

RL

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <fvbos7$qbk$(E-Mail Removed)>, RL did write:

> Has anyone had any similar experiences?

Not with an Ethernet card, but with a FireWire card, some years ago. Losing
backup files was like losing part of my brain...

Nicolaas Hawkins

On Thu, 01 May 2008 18:53:48 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
<(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in

--
- Nic.

RL

Richard wrote:
> Go into the nic propertys and turn off the IP header checksum offloading
> - solved a similar problem for me a couple of years back.

Turning off IP header checksums didn't do the trick, but I turned off
the UDP and TCP checksum offloading as well, and it now works!

Thanks for your suggestion. Not an ideal solution, but at least it is
usable now.

RL

Dave Taylor

RL <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:fveec7$d5t$(E-Mail Removed):

> Turning off IP header checksums didn't do the trick, but I turned off
> the UDP and TCP checksum offloading as well, and it now works!
>
> Thanks for your suggestion. Not an ideal solution, but at least it is
> usable now.
>
> RL

Is it a RealTek NIC? They had a nasty bug years ago that did the same
thing with IPX.
I think you should let the card maker know anyways. They might want some
packet traces and config files from you, but it should be pretty painless
and then others will benefit in the long run from the bug fix.

--
Ciao, Dave

RL

Dave Taylor wrote:
> Is it a RealTek NIC? They had a nasty bug years ago that did the same
> thing with IPX.
> I think you should let the card maker know anyways. They might want some
> packet traces and config files from you, but it should be pretty painless
> and then others will benefit in the long run from the bug fix.

Onboard Marvell Yukon 88E8056 PCI-E, and a Marvell Yukon
88E8001/8003/8010 (one of them) PCI controler.

I will pass the details on to Asus and Marvell as you suggest.

RealTek... they are quite nasty, but at least in this case a cheap
RealTek did work reliably where the Marvell did not. Normally I'd buy
boards with onboard Intel Ethernet adaptors, but this system was an
urgent replacement for my main system which died unexpectedly, so I had
to take what I could get at the time.

RL