Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > XPSP3 Delayed -- Incompatible with MS Software

XPSP3 Delayed -- Incompatible with MS Software

Hamish Campbell

This is pretty funny:

"Microsoft had said last week that it completed development on Windows
XP, Service Pack 3 (SP3), and that it would be available via its
software-update services on Tuesday. However, incompatibilities
discovered in the past several days between an application called
Microsoft Dynamics RMS and both Windows XP SP3 and Windows Vista
Service Pack 1 will force the company to hold off on releasing the
software. Dynamics RMS is a retail-chain-management software for small
and mid-sized businesses."

via PCWorld:

http://pcworld.co.nz/pcworld/pcw.nsf...25743A0074AACB

Hamish Campbell

On Apr 30, 10:58*am, "geoff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hamish Campbell wrote:
> > This is pretty funny:

> > "Microsoft had said last week that it completed development on Windows
> > XP, Service Pack 3 (SP3), and that it would be available via its
> > software-update services on Tuesday. However, incompatibilities
> > discovered in the past several days between an application called
> > Microsoft Dynamics RMS and both Windows XP SP3 and Windows Vista
> > Service Pack 1 will force the company to hold off on releasing the
> > software. Dynamics RMS is a retail-chain-management software for small
> > and mid-sized businesses."

> > via PCWorld:

> >http://pcworld.co.nz/pcworld/pcw.nsf...1BF08CCC25743A...

> Not as funny as your mislading 'subject' title.
>
> geoff

How is it misleading?

I said "XPSP3 Delayed",
they said "...hold off on releasing the software"
where 'the software' was Windows XP, Service Pack 3 (SP3)

I said "Incompatible with MS Software",
they said "... incompatibilities discovered in the past several days
between ... Microsoft Dynamics RMS and both Windows XP SP3..."

I even checked that Microsoft Dynamics RMS is made by Microsoft (just
to be sure):
http://www.microsoft.com/dynamics/rms/default.mspx

Am I missing something obvious?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>, Hamish
Campbell did write:

> "... However, incompatibilities
> discovered in the past several days between an application called
> Microsoft Dynamics RMS and both Windows XP SP3 and Windows Vista
> Service Pack 1 will force the company to hold off on releasing the
> software."

http://pcworld.co.nz/pcworld/pcw.nsf...25743A0074AACB

Bad enough the ongoing problems they are having with Vista, looks like their
incompetence is now infecting XP as well.

Hamish Campbell

On Apr 30, 12:04*pm, "geoff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hamish Campbell wrote:
> > I said "XPSP3 Delayed",
> > they said "...hold off on releasing the software"
> > where 'the software' was Windows XP, Service Pack 3 (SP3)

> > I said "Incompatible with MS Software",
> > they said "... incompatibilities discovered in the past several days
> > between ... Microsoft Dynamics RMS and both Windows XP SP3..."

> > I even checked that Microsoft Dynamics RMS is made by Microsoft (just
> > to be sure):
> >http://www.microsoft.com/dynamics/rms/default.mspx

> > Am I missing something obvious?

> Software can be singular or plural. *The purpose of people making such posts
> here is usually to mock MS and promote Linux.
>
> "XPSP3 Delayed - Incompatible with MS Dynamics RMS" would have been more
> concise and less sensational.
>
> geoff

Yeah I know that this forum gets catty like that (and I note the usual
suspects have put their respective boots in too). I'm a sysadmin who
has to keep track of service packs and it seemed sufficiently ironic.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarweb "geoff" typed:
> Hamish Campbell wrote:
>
>> I said "XPSP3 Delayed",
>> they said "...hold off on releasing the software"
>> where 'the software' was Windows XP, Service Pack 3 (SP3)
>>
>> I said "Incompatible with MS Software",
>> they said "... incompatibilities discovered in the past several days
>> between ... Microsoft Dynamics RMS and both Windows XP SP3..."
>>
>> I even checked that Microsoft Dynamics RMS is made by Microsoft (just
>> to be sure):
>> http://www.microsoft.com/dynamics/rms/default.mspx
>>
>> Am I missing something obvious?

> Software can be singular or plural. The purpose of people making
> such posts here is usually to mock MS and promote Linux.
>
> "XPSP3 Delayed - Incompatible with MS Dynamics RMS" would have been
> more concise and less sensational.

... and I wouldn't have been as likely to read it. However, Hamish's
perfectly correct subject prompted me to read he article and realise how bad
things really are at Redmond.

It's almost like you have a vested interest, to be so picky about something
that was actually worded correctly. <shrug> Seems we have enough zealots
here without inventing them or attributing motivations that are merely
speculation.
--
Shaun.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Brian Mathews did
write:

> On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 16:19:03 -0700 (PDT), Hamish Campbell
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>http://pcworld.co.nz/pcworld/pcw.nsf...1BF08CCC25743A...
>>>
>>> Not as funny as your mislading 'subject' title.
>>>
>>> geoff

>>How is it misleading?

> You Only refer to SP3 its both Vista SP1 and XP SP3

He wasn't referring to Vista.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, geoff did write:

> The purpose of people making such
> posts here is usually to mock MS and promote Linux.

The old saying applies--you can't make up this kind of stuff!

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, geoff did write:

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, geoff did
>> write:
>>
>>> The purpose of people making such
>>> posts here is usually to mock MS and promote Linux.

>> The old saying applies--you can't make up this kind of stuff!

> Like the other sayingt "It's a sad **** who tries to make his own candle
> burn brighter by blowing out everybody else's ".

Hey, it's not the fault of the pro-Open-Sourcers that the Microsoft
apologists find themselves siding with a company that is rapidly turning
into the world's biggest loser, is it?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, geoff did write:

> ~misfit~ wrote:
>>
>> It's almost like you have a vested interest, to be so picky about
>> something that was actually worded correctly. <shrug> Seems we have
>> enough zealots here without inventing them or attributing motivations
>> that are merely speculation.

> No more than you have a vested interest in gloating over anything vaguely
> negative re MS.
>
> Whereas a potential cockup (however minor) averted should be considered a
> 'positive'.

Fine, by all means let's celebrate some POSITIVE things about Microsoft, for
a change:

MOST OF THE WORLD'S DIMDOWS USERS GET THROUGH ANOTHER DAY WITHOUT COMPLETELY
LOSING ALL THEIR FILES!

MOST DIMDOWS MACHINES ACTUALLY STAY UP MUCH OF THE TIME WITHOUT CRASHING!

MICROSOFT STILL HAS A LONG WAY MORE TO FALL BEFORE LOSING MARKET DOMINANCE!
AFTER ALL, WE HAVEN'T HIT THE LAMP-POST YET, SO THERE'S NO HURRY TO TURN
THE STEERING WHEEL RIGHT NOW!

There, feel better now?

Nicolaas Hawkins

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 15:51:32 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
<(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in
<news:fv8qbv$22k$(E-Mail Removed)>:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, geoff did write:
>
>> ~misfit~ wrote:
>>>
>>> It's almost like you have a vested interest, to be so picky about
>>> something that was actually worded correctly. <shrug> Seems we have
>>> enough zealots here without inventing them or attributing motivations
>>> that are merely speculation.

>> No more than you have a vested interest in gloating over anything vaguely
>> negative re MS.
>>
>> Whereas a potential cockup (however minor) averted should be considered a
>> 'positive'.

> Fine, by all means let's celebrate some POSITIVE things about Microsoft, for
> a change:
>
> MOST OF THE WORLD'S DIMDOWS USERS GET THROUGH ANOTHER DAY WITHOUT COMPLETELY
> LOSING ALL THEIR FILES!
>
> MOST DIMDOWS MACHINES ACTUALLY STAY UP MUCH OF THE TIME WITHOUT CRASHING!
>
> MICROSOFT STILL HAS A LONG WAY MORE TO FALL BEFORE LOSING MARKET DOMINANCE!
> AFTER ALL, WE HAVEN'T HIT THE LAMP-POST YET, SO THERE'S NO HURRY TO TURN
> THE STEERING WHEEL RIGHT NOW!
>
> There, feel better now?

Why are you posting in capital letters, Mr Linux weenie? It is the UseNet
equivalent of shouting, and is considered to be extremely rude by
civilised people.
But then ......