Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Interview with Donald Knuth

Interview with Donald Knuth

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Thinks multicores are a waste of time.

<http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1193856>

Ron McNulty

On Apr 29, 1:44*pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> Thinks multicores are a waste of time.

Not quite true Lawrence! He has a point - compilers are way behind
when it comes to handling parallel architectures.

There is a really good thread on this interview at
http://tech.slashdot.org/article.pl?.../04/26/1627248 - many think
he is getting out of touch, but all support his pioneering work on
algorithms.

After all, the name Knuth will live on long after we are forgotten...

Regards

Ron

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>, Ron
McNulty did write:

> On Apr 29, 1:44*pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
> central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
>
> <http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1193856>
>
>> Thinks multicores are a waste of time.

> Not quite true Lawrence!

He most certainly does--read the interview.