Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: Telecom - absolutely awful foresight

Re: Telecom - absolutely awful foresight

Rhino

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 19:32:14 +1200, Mark Robinson
<(E-Mail Removed)2tod.net> wrote:

>Assuming that both houses are serviced by the same exchange the claim of
>"exchange is full" is obviously false.
>
>Beyond that, it's a National party plot to get you to vote for Jonky.

If the OP is indeed staying in the same exchange area, they would be
able to do what is called an External Removal of their line and retain
the same number without any number portability issues, providing some
conditions are met.

It is possible that the area the OP wanted to move to may have had no
spare cable pairs between the exchange and the new location. It is
quite likely that the Telecom CSR would have just said "the exchange
is full" rather than try to explain the details of reticulation.

Cheers, Rhino

Nicolaas Hawkins

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 08:12:31 +1200, Steve B <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote in <news:(E-Mail Removed) >:

> On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 20:41:41 +1200, "ofn01" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>> It is possible that the area the OP wanted to move to may have had no
>>> spare cable pairs between the exchange and the new location. It is
>>> quite likely that the Telecom CSR would have just said "the exchange
>>> is full" rather than try to explain the details of reticulation.
>>>
>>> Cheers, Rhino

>>Thats the strange thing - we have kept the same phone number, and we told them that we were moving both internet and broadband. The whole thing is pretty pathetic

> We were told by the engineer working in our street that they had "no
> spur purrs" - he had a Liverpool accent.
>
> Somehow they still installed another line for us - but that was
> TelstraClear (or maybe still Saturn in those days).
>
> When we moved from the suburban house to a city apartment we were
> pleased to find it was already cabled for T-C/Paradise/Saturn. But
> they could only move one of our two voice lines, again due to some
> mysterious supposed capacity problem. The phone lines aren't on the
> cable; they seem to come into a separate box in the basement.
>
> So it's not just Telecom. Maybe, as John Key said in his media
> release, it's "the typography [sic] of the region".
>
> "You might get Courier down this link but right-justified Times New
> Roman would be a bit iffy; and don't go near Bodoni."
>
> Steve B.

Dingbats, all.

--
- Nic.

Gordon

On 2008-04-24, Nicolaas Hawkins <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 08:12:31 +1200, Steve B <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote in <news:(E-Mail Removed) >:

>>>Thats the strange thing - we have kept the same phone number, and we told them that we were moving both internet and broadband. The whole thing is pretty pathetic

>> We were told by the engineer working in our street that they had "no
>> spur purrs" - he had a Liverpool accent.
>>
>> Somehow they still installed another line for us - but that was
>> TelstraClear (or maybe still Saturn in those days).
>>
>> When we moved from the suburban house to a city apartment we were
>> pleased to find it was already cabled for T-C/Paradise/Saturn. But
>> they could only move one of our two voice lines, again due to some
>> mysterious supposed capacity problem. The phone lines aren't on the
>> cable; they seem to come into a separate box in the basement.
>>
>> So it's not just Telecom. Maybe, as John Key said in his media
>> release, it's "the typography [sic] of the region".
>>
>> "You might get Courier down this link but right-justified Times New
>> Roman would be a bit iffy; and don't go near Bodoni."
>>
>> Steve B.

> Dingbats, all.

Have one yourself

Nicolaas Hawkins

On 25 Apr 2008 04:41:25 GMT, Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
in <news:(E-Mail Removed)>:

> On 2008-04-24, Nicolaas Hawkins <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 08:12:31 +1200, Steve B <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote in <news:(E-Mail Removed) >:

>>> We were told by the engineer working in our street that they had "no
>>> spur purrs" - he had a Liverpool accent.
>>>
>>> Somehow they still installed another line for us - but that was
>>> TelstraClear (or maybe still Saturn in those days).
>>>
>>> When we moved from the suburban house to a city apartment we were
>>> pleased to find it was already cabled for T-C/Paradise/Saturn. But
>>> they could only move one of our two voice lines, again due to some
>>> mysterious supposed capacity problem. The phone lines aren't on the
>>> cable; they seem to come into a separate box in the basement.
>>>
>>> So it's not just Telecom. Maybe, as John Key said in his media
>>> release, it's "the typography [sic] of the region".
>>>
>>> "You might get Courier down this link but right-justified Times New
>>> Roman would be a bit iffy; and don't go near Bodoni."
>>>
>>> Steve B.

>> Dingbats, all.
>>

> Have one yourself

Thanks, but keep it for yourself - I already have a collection.

--
- Nic.