Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > For those who can't afford an SSD HDD...

For those who can't afford an SSD HDD...

~misfit~

As my mobo has 10 USB2 ports (6 rear, 4 front) and I don't use half of them
I decided that I could use one for this:

DSE USB 2GB MicroDrive
http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.sto...product/XH5174

At $19.99. I've formatted it FAT32 and it's now my Pagefile/Swapfile.
They're supposed to be faster than conventional HDDs (hence Vista's
"Readyboost") so I figured why not.

(Running XP Pro, set pagefile to 1900MB min and max.)

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarweb "Richard" typed:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>> As my mobo has 10 USB2 ports (6 rear, 4 front) and I don't use half
>> of them I decided that I could use one for this:
>>
>> DSE USB 2GB MicroDrive
>> http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.sto...product/XH5174
>>
>> At $19.99. I've formatted it FAT32 and it's now my Pagefile/Swapfile.
>> They're supposed to be faster than conventional HDDs (hence Vista's
>> "Readyboost") so I figured why not.
>>
>> (Running XP Pro, set pagefile to 1900MB min and max.)
>>
>> Cheers,

> Vista doesnt use them as a normal swap file when configured to use
> them like that, its something else it does where its not writing too
> often to it.
> Also the cheap dse drives are slow as hell when I tried one,
> practically faster to copy to SD in my camera then the dse sticks.
>
> Possibly a sata to SD with a fast SD in it would be viable for
> swapping to, but certainly not those sticks.

All good points. The packaging claims " This flash device can serve as an
additional memory cache - that is, memory that the computer can access much
more quickly than it can access data on the HDD". They wouldn't be lying to
me would they?

I have 2GB RAM in this machine anyway, I've run it without a swapfile just
fine except one or two instances I've had pop-ups moaning about the lack of,
or too little, swap space.

I just figured this might be an option that could be faster than using a HDD
based swapfile and wondered what others thought. <shrug> It's USB 2 and
claims to be "Enhanced for Windows Vista Readyboost (tm)".

Perhaps it's a different product to the one you tested?

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarweb "Richard" typed:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>
>>> Possibly a sata to SD with a fast SD in it would be viable for
>>> swapping to, but certainly not those sticks.

>> All good points. The packaging claims " This flash device can serve
>> as an additional memory cache - that is, memory that the computer
>> can access much more quickly than it can access data on the HDD".
>> They wouldn't be lying to me would they?
>>
>> I have 2GB RAM in this machine anyway, I've run it without a
>> swapfile just fine except one or two instances I've had pop-ups
>> moaning about the lack of, or too little, swap space.
>>
>> I just figured this might be an option that could be faster than
>> using a HDD based swapfile and wondered what others thought. <shrug>
>> It's USB 2 and claims to be "Enhanced for Windows Vista Readyboost
>> (tm)". Perhaps it's a different product to the one you tested?

> Could be different indeed, but vista relys on the fast random reads of
> it, not rights.

Ahh, okay. That makes it fundamentally different from a swapfile that needs
both reads amd writes.

Anyway, turns out that, even though I had it configured in XP to have the
only swapfile on the USB stick, Windows thinks it knows better and was in
fact caching everything on C:\ and nothing was being written to the USB
stick at all. LOL. Oh well, you can't have too many USB sticks (especially
when folks 'borrow' them all the time).

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

Craig Sutton

> ~misfit~ wrote:
>
>>> Possibly a sata to SD with a fast SD in it would be viable for
>>> swapping to, but certainly not those sticks.

>> All good points. The packaging claims " This flash device can serve as an
>> additional memory cache - that is, memory that the computer can access
>> much more quickly than it can access data on the HDD". They wouldn't be
>> lying to me would they?
>>
>> I have 2GB RAM in this machine anyway, I've run it without a swapfile
>> just fine except one or two instances I've had pop-ups moaning about the
>> lack of, or too little, swap space.
>>
>> I just figured this might be an option that could be faster than using a
>> HDD based swapfile and wondered what others thought. <shrug> It's USB 2
>> and claims to be "Enhanced for Windows Vista Readyboost (tm)".
>>
>> Perhaps it's a different product to the one you tested?

> Could be different indeed, but vista relys on the fast random reads of it,
> not rights.

It might work with this?
http://www.eboostr.com/

Looks interesting

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarweb "Craig Sutton" typed:
> "Richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>>> All good points. The packaging claims " This flash device can serve
>>> as an additional memory cache - that is, memory that the computer
>>> can access much more quickly than it can access data on the HDD".
>>> They wouldn't be lying to me would they?
>>>
>>> I have 2GB RAM in this machine anyway, I've run it without a
>>> swapfile just fine except one or two instances I've had pop-ups
>>> moaning about the lack of, or too little, swap space.
>>>
>>> I just figured this might be an option that could be faster than
>>> using a HDD based swapfile and wondered what others thought.
>>> <shrug> It's USB 2 and claims to be "Enhanced for Windows Vista
>>> Readyboost (tm)". Perhaps it's a different product to the one you
>>> tested?

>> Could be different indeed, but vista relys on the fast random reads
>> of it, not rights.

> It might work with this?
> http://www.eboostr.com/
>
> Looks interesting

It does look interesting. Thanks for that.
--
Shaun.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarweb "~misfit~" typed:
> Somewhere on teh intarweb "Craig Sutton" typed:
>> "Richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>>> Could be different indeed, but vista relys on the fast random reads
>>> of it, not rights.

>> It might work with this?
>> http://www.eboostr.com/
>>
>> Looks interesting

> It does look interesting. Thanks for that.

Yeah, it didn't do anything noticable for my desktop PC, a 3.2GHz Core 2 Duo
with 2GB DDR2 RAM and 32MB HDD cache. I've Googled it and it seems that the
only time it's really useful is for laptops with low RAM, slow HDDs and
(extra) USB2 ports. I don't know if Readyboost is similar?

I have a couple PCs here that have the old SDRAM (and not enough of it
really, it's v expensive and it seems a module fails every few months..)
that could possibly benefit from eBoostr, except they have USB 1.1. They
don't warrant the cost of USB2 PCI cards, the software and thumbdrives, even
if I could afford it. TTBOMK all the PCs that I have here which have USB2
natively take DDR/DDR2 RAM and have plenty of it, at least 1GB.

It was really just an experiment, speculation as if there was a way of using
the (relatively) cheap USB sticks to do something more than just move files
around with Win XP. It seems that the answer is yes, but only for systems
with USB2 and I/O bottlenecks and only using after-market software as
Windows XP doesn't seem to allow pagefile placement on removable devices.

It was worth a try huh?
--
Shaun.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarweb "Brendan" typed:
> On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 13:32:54 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:
>
>> As my mobo has 10 USB2 ports (6 rear, 4 front) and I don't use half
>> of them I decided that I could use one for this:
>>
>> DSE USB 2GB MicroDrive
>> http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.sto...product/XH5174
>>
>> At $19.99. I've formatted it FAT32 and it's now my Pagefile/Swapfile.
>> They're supposed to be faster than conventional HDDs (hence Vista's
>> "Readyboost") so I figured why not.
>>
>> (Running XP Pro, set pagefile to 1900MB min and max.)
>>
>> Cheers,

> If you ever got it to work, XP would kill it in days. Flash ram dies
> after about 1 million write operations, and considering the use of
> the swap file...
>
> Some flash drives will spread the writing over the whole drive but
> even so, it'll die fast with the swap file on it. One dead bit in the
> wrong place and it'll be a blue screen for you.

Good point. I couldn't get it to work anyway.

> Sorry.
>
> Try a raid 1 array.

Heh! I've got no pagefile set now, XP seems to run just fine like that with
2GB RAM.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

Bugalugs

~misfit~ wrote:
> Somewhere on teh intarweb "~misfit~" typed:
>> Somewhere on teh intarweb "Craig Sutton" typed:
>>> "Richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>>> It might work with this?
>>> http://www.eboostr.com/
>>>
>>> Looks interesting

>> It does look interesting. Thanks for that.

> Yeah, it didn't do anything noticable for my desktop PC, a 3.2GHz Core 2 Duo
> with 2GB DDR2 RAM and 32MB HDD cache. I've Googled it and it seems that the
> only time it's really useful is for laptops with low RAM, slow HDDs and
> (extra) USB2 ports. I don't know if Readyboost is similar?
>
> I have a couple PCs here that have the old SDRAM (and not enough of it
> really, it's v expensive and it seems a module fails every few months..)
> that could possibly benefit from eBoostr, except they have USB 1.1. They
> don't warrant the cost of USB2 PCI cards, the software and thumbdrives, even
> if I could afford it. TTBOMK all the PCs that I have here which have USB2
> natively take DDR/DDR2 RAM and have plenty of it, at least 1GB.
>
> It was really just an experiment, speculation as if there was a way of using
> the (relatively) cheap USB sticks to do something more than just move files
> around with Win XP. It seems that the answer is yes, but only for systems
> with USB2 and I/O bottlenecks and only using after-market software as
> Windows XP doesn't seem to allow pagefile placement on removable devices.
>
> It was worth a try huh?

Interesting idea. must give it a try

I'm too tightarsed to to buy more RAM for what I have here (2*256, RDRAM
PC1066 533Mhz 184 pin) and haven't been able yet to find any in old
computers to canabalise. Work OK most of the time but now-n-gain it
struggles.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarweb "Bugalugs" typed:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>> Somewhere on teh intarweb "~misfit~" typed:
>>> Somewhere on teh intarweb "Craig Sutton" typed:

>>> It does look interesting. Thanks for that.

>> Yeah, it didn't do anything noticable for my desktop PC, a 3.2GHz
>> Core 2 Duo with 2GB DDR2 RAM and 32MB HDD cache. I've Googled it and
>> it seems that the only time it's really useful is for laptops with
>> low RAM, slow HDDs and (extra) USB2 ports. I don't know if
>> Readyboost is similar? I have a couple PCs here that have the old SDRAM
>> (and not enough of
>> it really, it's v expensive and it seems a module fails every few
>> months..) that could possibly benefit from eBoostr, except they have
>> USB 1.1. They don't warrant the cost of USB2 PCI cards, the software
>> and thumbdrives, even if I could afford it. TTBOMK all the PCs that
>> I have here which have USB2 natively take DDR/DDR2 RAM and have
>> plenty of it, at least 1GB. It was really just an experiment, speculation
>> as if there was a way
>> of using the (relatively) cheap USB sticks to do something more than
>> just move files around with Win XP. It seems that the answer is yes,
>> but only for systems with USB2 and I/O bottlenecks and only using
>> after-market software as Windows XP doesn't seem to allow pagefile
>> placement on removable devices. It was worth a try huh?

> Interesting idea. must give it a try
>
> I'm too tightarsed to to buy more RAM for what I have here (2*256,
> RDRAM PC1066 533Mhz 184 pin) and haven't been able yet to find any in
> old computers to canabalise. Work OK most of the time but now-n-gain
> it struggles.

Yeah, it could indeed be useful there. (I don't have any RDRAM either,
sorry.) The software seems to be available on some bittorent sites but it'd
pay to use one that has comments about files...

Or, if the PC is only on for 4 hours or less at a time just download the
'demo' version. Until you unlock it with a serial number it's fully
functional for 4 hours from every time you re-boot.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.