Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Newham having second thoughts about Microsoft

Newham having second thoughts about Microsoft

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

I remember a big discussion about this in nz.comp a few years ago, when the
London borough of Newham was considering embracing Open Source, until a
cut-rate deal by Microsoft saw it change its mind.

Well, guess what
<http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/04/18/microsoft-flagship-flounders>:
things haven't been going so well with that decision to go Microsoft:

The deal would involve a technology refresh after four years, but
Computer Weekly revealed in September that the refresh had been delayed.

Another of the key reasons why the council chose Microsoft over open
source in 2004 was that it saw the vendor as a safe option.

It wanted to ensure that, "effective working with external partners is
not compromised by incompatibility of office systems."

The refresh, said Weakly was delayed because Vista, Microsoft's latest
operating system, would not be compatible with other software used by
the council.

The "safe" option wasn't so safe after all...

Gordon

On 2008-04-19, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
> I remember a big discussion about this in nz.comp a few years ago, when the
> London borough of Newham was considering embracing Open Source, until a
> cut-rate deal by Microsoft saw it change its mind.

There is a time to switch horses. Just takes some people longer to know
when.

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, thingy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Gordon wrote:
>> On 2008-04-19, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
>>> I remember a big discussion about this in nz.comp a few years ago, when the
>>> London borough of Newham was considering embracing Open Source, until a
>>> cut-rate deal by Microsoft saw it change its mind.
>>>

>> There is a time to switch horses. Just takes some people longer to know
>> when.

>Hmm, if a vendor promises something then it is not un-reasonable to
>expect that to happen.........

... *Except* if their terms of use say something like ...
we promise to deliver nothing. You promise to pay us whenever we say so.

Sounds like MS, and most telecommunications companies to me.

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, thingy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
(snip)
>>> Hmm, if a vendor promises something then it is not un-reasonable to
>>> expect that to happen.........

>> .. *Except* if their terms of use say something like ...
>> we promise to deliver nothing. You promise to pay us whenever we say so.
>>
>> Sounds like MS, and most telecommunications companies to me.

>lol, yep....but then the council has re-defined the terms....and the PR
>fallout is noticeable....bet it makes other councils etc think twice
>when they see what Newham had decided to do....If I was a CIO of another
>council I'd be round to Newham to get the info to make sure MS couldn't
>wriggle out....

Measureable and enforceable service levels are long over due I reckon. Only
when custonmers demand them in large numbers will this change.