Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Printers: Mono Laser or Colour inkjet?

Printers: Mono Laser or Colour inkjet?

Squiggle

Just weighing up buying a printer for home, my old canon died a while
ago, and i have been making do with just printing what i need to at Uni
until now.

Unfortunatly getting a PC at uni can be a right PITA on any day there is
a project due, and this year I seem to need to do a lot more printing.

So the decision becomes.. do I buy a cheap mono laser for its lower
running costs and do the very few things that need colour on the colour
laser at uni, or do i buy a colour inkjet (one with seperate
colour/black tanks) and live with the higher costs of running it?

Anyone had any issues with a brother HL-2140 or 2040?
Recommendations as to what to avoid/what to buy most welcome.
Particulary keen to know which current printers do/dont have those built
in expiry dates and anti-cartridge refilling systems in them.

TIA

Squiggle

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <480172c4$(E-Mail Removed)>, Squiggle did write:

> So the decision becomes.. do I buy a cheap mono laser for its lower
> running costs and do the very few things that need colour on the colour
> laser at uni, or do i buy a colour inkjet (one with seperate
> colour/black tanks) and live with the higher costs of running it?

What volume of printing are you likely to do? Low favours the inkjet, high
favours the laser.

Roger Johnstone

In <480172c4$(E-Mail Removed)> Squiggle wrote:
> Just weighing up buying a printer for home, my old canon died a while
> ago, and i have been making do with just printing what i need to at
> Uni until now.
>
> Unfortunatly getting a PC at uni can be a right PITA on any day there
> is a project due, and this year I seem to need to do a lot more
> printing.
>
> So the decision becomes.. do I buy a cheap mono laser for its lower
> running costs and do the very few things that need colour on the
> colour laser at uni, or do i buy a colour inkjet (one with seperate
> colour/black tanks) and live with the higher costs of running it?
>
> Anyone had any issues with a brother HL-2140 or 2040?
> Recommendations as to what to avoid/what to buy most welcome.
> Particulary keen to know which current printers do/dont have those
> built in expiry dates and anti-cartridge refilling systems in them.

I'd had a Brother HL-2040 at home for about two years and it's given me
no problems so far, but I only print an average of a few pages a week
with it. The reason I got it was the opposite of most though. I used my
old inkjet printer so infrequently that the ink cartridges would often
block, something which obviously's a problem with a laser.

--
Roger Johnstone, Invercargill, New Zealand -> http://roger.geek.nz

Peter Jenkins

On Apr 13, 2:41 pm, Squiggle <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Just weighing up buying a printer for home, my old canon died a while
> ago, and i have been making do with just printing what i need to at Uni
> until now.
>
> Unfortunatly getting a PC at uni can be a right PITA on any day there is
> a project due, and this year I seem to need to do a lot more printing.
>
> So the decision becomes.. do I buy a cheap mono laser for its lower
> running costs and do the very few things that need colour on the colour
> laser at uni, or do i buy a colour inkjet (one with seperate
> colour/black tanks) and live with the higher costs of running it?
>
> Anyone had any issues with a brother HL-2140 or 2040?
> Recommendations as to what to avoid/what to buy most welcome.
> Particulary keen to know which current printers do/dont have those built
> in expiry dates and anti-cartridge refilling systems in them.
>
> TIA
>
> Squiggle

If you can afford it, you could always consider a colour laser - and
they are no longer that expensive, the Samsung I got cost me about
$340 if I recall right, and they available even cheaper elsewhere now.
Other models may even be cheaper too

Regards
Peter Jenkins
see http://www.sensiblesentencing.org.nz

Squiggle

Roger Johnstone wrote:
> In <480172c4$(E-Mail Removed)> Squiggle wrote:
>> Just weighing up buying a printer for home, my old canon died a while
>> ago, and i have been making do with just printing what i need to at
>> Uni until now.
>>
>> Unfortunatly getting a PC at uni can be a right PITA on any day there
>> is a project due, and this year I seem to need to do a lot more
>> printing.
>>
>> So the decision becomes.. do I buy a cheap mono laser for its lower
>> running costs and do the very few things that need colour on the
>> colour laser at uni, or do i buy a colour inkjet (one with seperate
>> colour/black tanks) and live with the higher costs of running it?
>>
>> Anyone had any issues with a brother HL-2140 or 2040?
>> Recommendations as to what to avoid/what to buy most welcome.
>> Particulary keen to know which current printers do/dont have those
>> built in expiry dates and anti-cartridge refilling systems in them.

> I'd had a Brother HL-2040 at home for about two years and it's given me
> no problems so far, but I only print an average of a few pages a week
> with it. The reason I got it was the opposite of most though. I used my
> old inkjet printer so infrequently that the ink cartridges would often
> block, something which obviously's a problem with a laser.

Thanks for the feedback. Thats one of the problems I had with the old
canon inkjet I had, I think there was one cartridge I got about 20 pages
of text out of, then the next time I went to use it the ink had dried
up. At $38 per cartridge that was a problem, not to mention the hassle
of trying to find one at short notice.

Squiggle

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In article <480172c4$(E-Mail Removed)>, Squiggle did write:
>
>> So the decision becomes.. do I buy a cheap mono laser for its lower
>> running costs and do the very few things that need colour on the colour
>> laser at uni, or do i buy a colour inkjet (one with seperate
>> colour/black tanks) and live with the higher costs of running it?

> What volume of printing are you likely to do? Low favours the inkjet, high
> favours the laser.

Hard to say, I dont print a lot at the moment (maybe 20 pages/month, 95%
plain text or simple graphics), but with the convenience of having a
decent printer here I will definately be printing a lot more.
I would expect to print a maximum of a ream of paper every two or three
months.

Roger Johnstone

In <(E-Mail Removed)> Roger Johnstone wrote:
> In <480172c4$(E-Mail Removed)> Squiggle wrote:
>> Just weighing up buying a printer for home, my old canon died a while
>> ago, and i have been making do with just printing what i need to at
>> Uni until now.
>>
>> Unfortunatly getting a PC at uni can be a right PITA on any day there
>> is a project due, and this year I seem to need to do a lot more
>> printing.
>>
>> So the decision becomes.. do I buy a cheap mono laser for its lower
>> running costs and do the very few things that need colour on the
>> colour laser at uni, or do i buy a colour inkjet (one with seperate
>> colour/black tanks) and live with the higher costs of running it?
>>
>> Anyone had any issues with a brother HL-2140 or 2040?
>> Recommendations as to what to avoid/what to buy most welcome.
>> Particulary keen to know which current printers do/dont have those
>> built in expiry dates and anti-cartridge refilling systems in them.

> I'd had a Brother HL-2040 at home for about two years and it's given
> me no problems so far, but I only print an average of a few pages a
> week with it. The reason I got it was the opposite of most though. I
> used my old inkjet printer so infrequently that the ink cartridges
> would often block, something which obviously's a problem with a laser.

Whoops. That should be 'something which obviously IS'NT a problem with a
laser.'

--

Peter Jenkins wrote:
> On Apr 13, 2:41 pm, Squiggle <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Just weighing up buying a printer for home, my old canon died a while
>> ago, and i have been making do with just printing what i need to at Uni
>> until now.
>>
>> Unfortunatly getting a PC at uni can be a right PITA on any day there is
>> a project due, and this year I seem to need to do a lot more printing.
>>
>> So the decision becomes.. do I buy a cheap mono laser for its lower
>> running costs and do the very few things that need colour on the colour
>> laser at uni, or do i buy a colour inkjet (one with seperate
>> colour/black tanks) and live with the higher costs of running it?
>>
>> Anyone had any issues with a brother HL-2140 or 2040?
>> Recommendations as to what to avoid/what to buy most welcome.
>> Particulary keen to know which current printers do/dont have those built
>> in expiry dates and anti-cartridge refilling systems in them.
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Squiggle

> If you can afford it, you could always consider a colour laser - and
> they are no longer that expensive, the Samsung I got cost me about
> $340 if I recall right, and they available even cheaper elsewhere now.
> Other models may even be cheaper too
>
> Regards
> Peter Jenkins
> see http://www.sensiblesentencing.org.nz

Thanks,
just found the Samsung CLP-300. It is more than I want to spend but a
colour laser for about twice the price of a mono laser is a good deal.
The visa card might get a bit of a hammering this month.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <48018a6a$(E-Mail Removed)>, Squiggle did write:

> Roger Johnstone wrote:
>
>> I used my old inkjet printer so infrequently that the ink cartridges
>> would often block, something which obviously's a problem with a laser.

> Thats one of the problems I had with the old
> canon inkjet I had, I think there was one cartridge I got about 20 pages
> of text out of, then the next time I went to use it the ink had dried
> up. At $38 per cartridge that was a problem, not to mention the hassle
> of trying to find one at short notice.

How much printing were you doing? I have an ancient Epson that I might do, I
dunno, a dozen pages a month on, and the cartridges last for months.

Squiggle

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In article <48018a6a$(E-Mail Removed)>, Squiggle did write:
>
>> Roger Johnstone wrote:
>>
>>> I used my old inkjet printer so infrequently that the ink cartridges
>>> would often block, something which obviously's a problem with a laser.

>> Thats one of the problems I had with the old
>> canon inkjet I had, I think there was one cartridge I got about 20 pages
>> of text out of, then the next time I went to use it the ink had dried
>> up. At $38 per cartridge that was a problem, not to mention the hassle
>> of trying to find one at short notice.

> How much printing were you doing? I have an ancient Epson that I might do, I
> dunno, a dozen pages a month on, and the cartridges last for months.

I would've been lucky to print something everything couple of months. I
think it was 4 months after my last move before I unpacked it.