Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Linux will have 20% of desktop market share by....omigod, now?!?

Linux will have 20% of desktop market share by....omigod, now?!?

impossible

Remember the last Golden Age of Fanboy Optimism?

14 August 2003:

"One of the world's largest IT companies is declaring that the Linux desktop
will capture 20% of the market for desktop computers in large enterprises
within 5 years. Siemens Business Systems, the $6 billion global IT
consulting and outsourcing company, has conducted extensive testing with
real-world, non-technical workers and is declaring that Linux has matured as
a desktop and will quickly vault to the #2 most-installed OS in the world.
Senior program manager Duncan McNutt, who has overseen Siemens's testing of
Linux desktops with users and administrators in enterprise settings,
believes that Linux will grow quickly as a desktop OS because it can deliver
equal productivity at significantly lower costs than Windows in very large
enterprise environments -- installations of 4,000 to 40,000 desktops."

http://www.linux.com/articles/30873

Ok, so this never quite worked out -- Linux remains short on share in the
enterprise market by 19.39% (give or take). But at least people were
thinking big back then. Now, it's all about a race to the bottom of the wEee
hardware pile, where the advocate community hopes against hope that
Microsoft can't be bothered going. That's pretty sad.

impossible

"frederick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> impossible wrote:
>> Remember the last Golden Age of Fanboy Optimism?
>>
>> 14 August 2003:
>>
>> "One of the world's largest IT companies is declaring that the Linux
>> desktop will capture 20% of the market for desktop computers in large
>> enterprises within 5 years. Siemens Business Systems, the $6 billion
>> global IT consulting and outsourcing company, has conducted extensive
>> testing with real-world, non-technical workers and is declaring that
>> Linux has matured as a desktop and will quickly vault to the #2
>> most-installed OS in the world. Senior program manager Duncan McNutt, who
>> has overseen Siemens's testing of Linux desktops with users and
>> administrators in enterprise settings, believes that Linux will grow
>> quickly as a desktop OS because it can deliver equal productivity at
>> significantly lower costs than Windows in very large enterprise
>> environments -- installations of 4,000 to 40,000 desktops."
>>
>> http://www.linux.com/articles/30873
>>
>> Ok, so this never quite worked out -- Linux remains short on share in the
>> enterprise market by 19.39% (give or take). But at least people were
>> thinking big back then. Now, it's all about a race to the bottom of the
>> wEee hardware pile, where the advocate community hopes against hope that
>> Microsoft can't be bothered going. That's pretty sad.

> OMG. A Windoze troll!

Nah, the article came from linux.com. Thankfully, they're honest enough to
not have burned all their archives -- otherwise we'd never be able to put
the wEee fantasies of your mates into perspective.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <1207705384.966224@ftpsrv1>, frederick did write:

> I tried to like Linux - I really did. Then I realised that my
> XP machine just worked better - and without any effort.

What are you going to do after June, when Microsoft stops selling XP, then?

impossible

"thingy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> impossible wrote:
>> Remember the last Golden Age of Fanboy Optimism?
>>
>> 14 August 2003:
>>
>> "One of the world's largest IT companies is declaring that the Linux
>> desktop will capture 20% of the market for desktop computers in large
>> enterprises within 5 years. Siemens Business Systems, the $6 billion
>> global IT consulting and outsourcing company, has conducted extensive
>> testing with real-world, non-technical workers and is declaring that
>> Linux has matured as a desktop and will quickly vault to the #2
>> most-installed OS in the world. Senior program manager Duncan McNutt,

> McNutt........I could say, says it all really. technically he is right
> though, there is no technical reason why Linux could not be used in many
> areas at a lower cost.

Judging by the choices that businesses have made over the last 5 years, I
really do think that the question of Linux's cost-effectivenes on the
desktop has been asked and answered to the satisfaction of almost everyone.
Technically, yes, there's no reason why it couldn't be otherwise -- but
maybe it's high time open-source developers stopped playing the victim card
vis-a-vis Microsft and started flat-out developing better products that gave
buyers a compelling reason to make different choices.

> who has overseen Siemens's testing of
>> Linux desktops with users and administrators in enterprise settings,
>> believes that Linux will grow quickly as a desktop OS because it can
>> deliver equal productivity at significantly lower costs than Windows in
>> very large enterprise environments -- installations of 4,000 to 40,000
>> desktops."
>>
>> http://www.linux.com/articles/30873

> Those of us who use Linux know full well its more than capable for much
> desktop work. The fact that it has not grown substantially is somewhat
> mystifying on the face of it....Until you look at the politics and money
> deals involved discouraging large enterprises to move. Then throw in the
> apathy and lack of care/interest of many IT departments. Deals outsourcers
> do with vendors to form "partnerships" which does little but fleece their
> own customers....users who are afraid to move to anything new, easily
> pirated 2000/XP giving zero cost v zero cost....

Linux has the richest IT company in the world -- IBM -- squarely behind it.
Not to mention the most potent viral marketing apparatus the business world
has ever seen. It's failure on the desktop has nothing to do with being
out-gunned and everything to do with being out-developed. Now, either
there's an inherent problem with the free software business model that
inhibits serious innovation, or the people responsible for leading the
various projects just aren't trying hard enough. I don't know. But stop
blaming cutomers for turning to the proprietary vendors time and again to
deliver what they need.

>> Ok, so this never quite worked out -- Linux remains short on share in the
>> enterprise market by 19.39% (give or take).

> But at least people were
>> thinking big back then. Now, it's all about a race to the bottom of the
>> wEee hardware pile, where the advocate community hopes against hope that
>> Microsoft can't be bothered going. That's pretty sad.

> and yet MS seems to be trying to get there with XP on the EEE, and
> "alternatives" to the one laptop per child project, or the Nigerian scam
> they tried on.....as for small there is huge competition and angst from MS
> for the cell phone market...does not mean its valueless.

These markets are all potentially lucrative. But no one has yet put together
the winning hardware/software combination, which is why so many customers
are continually experimenting with what's on offer. That's another opening
for Linux developers that will be squandered if the whole strategy becomes
one of trying to low-ball Microsoft rather than out-develop them.

EMB

thingy wrote:
> Those of us who use Linux know full well its more than capable for much
> desktop work. The fact that it has not grown substantially is somewhat
> mystifying on the face of it....Until you look at the politics and money
> deals involved discouraging large enterprises to move. Then throw in the
> apathy and lack of care/interest of many IT departments.

Not to mention the number of mature vertical market applications that
won't run under anything except Windows.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, whoisthis did
write:

> In article <fthhsv$4js$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Lawrence D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
>
>> In article <1207705384.966224@ftpsrv1>, frederick did write:
>>
>> > I tried to like Linux - I really did. Then I realised that my
>> > XP machine just worked better - and without any effort.

>> What are you going to do after June, when Microsoft stops selling XP,
>> then?

> keep using it.... here's the shocker, XP will just keep working , it has
> no expiration date.

*cough* Dimdows Genuine Disadvantage server "outage" *cough* ...

J Brockley

I've always been fairly ambivalent re OS and when asked to put together a
cheap PC for someone's Grandparents I thought Linux. Right price and ideal
for simple email and browsing needs.
And despite input from Linux detractors like D'Olivero I decided to give it
a go.

All I can say its a long time since I've sworn so much. As you can perhaps
guess given the target I was aiming for a dial up connection was the
selected connection method.
I had enough forethought to realise a winmodem was out and spent some time
to find a real one.
Next I started with a Ubantu 7.04 and it all went well until I went to set
up the modem. Worked out how setup the modem but couldn't get it to work and
checks on google didn't seem to help.
Next tried Fedora 8 its later so must be better. I don't know what I did the
first couple of times but I needed to unmount a tty OK?, no Back or Cancel
just ever repeating OK?
Third time lucky, why I don't know but I blame myself though not sure why.
With a bit of google got modem installed and working. Of course its bleeding
obvious that s0 is com port 1 and you have to have a minimum initialization
string of ATZ everybody knows that.
Next was how to cause it to dial up. Didn't take too long, a thing called
Modem Lights, great we're away now. Installed and away we go, not!. "pppon
not found"
Back to google but can't find or get working items referred to.
In the end unfortunately lifes too short and XP was in fact cheaper maybe
not $ wise but timewise. XP up and running, AVG installed in under an hour,
done and dusted.

Unfortunately at the end of the day I can sorta see why it sits at under 1%
uptake even if it is superior under the hood.

Will Spencer

On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 17:41:44 +1200, whoisthis wrote:

> In article <fthhsv$4js$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Lawrence D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
>
>> In article <1207705384.966224@ftpsrv1>, frederick did write:
>>
>>> I tried to like Linux - I really did. Then I realised that my
>>> XP machine just worked better - and without any effort.

>> What are you going to do after June, when Microsoft stops selling XP, then?

> keep using it.... here's the shocker, XP will just keep working , it has
> no expiration date.

I've used Vista 64bit edition from day one. By far the best, most stable
and safest OS I have ever used.

-ws

impossible

"Allistar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Max Burke wrote:

>>> In your personal opinion, what specific applications require improvement
>>> before that application becomes a "compelling reason to make different
>>> choices"?

>> Gee that's a hard one.....
>>
>> Let's see, how about ALL the Linux equivalents of all the Microsoft/Third
>> party/shareware/freeware windows applications that the vast majority of
>> computer users world wide use on a daily basis to play, work, and just
>> USE
>> their computers for what they're meant to be used for. *computing*

> I made the switch over 5 years ago and haven't looked back. I find little
> flaws in the software I use, and I've made modifications that have been
> contributed back to the community too.

That's adorable. I have an aunt who does quilts -- she sells some and
donates others to the Sallies.

>> Linux is only free if your time is worthless.

> You are thinking "free" in monetary terms. The "freedom" of open source
> software isn't only about cost.
> --

No, apparently it's a whole ideological church kind of thing.

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osr...le.php/3733286

Did you know that you could get a good telling off from the GNU/Linux police
for installing propietary video drivers on your machine? Even if those
drivers were considered by one and all to be technically superior?

impossible

"Allistar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> impossible wrote:
>
>> "Allistar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...

>>> I made the switch over 5 years ago and haven't looked back. I find
>>> little
>>> flaws in the software I use, and I've made modifications that have been
>>> contributed back to the community too.

>> That's adorable. I have an aunt who does quilts -- she sells some and
>> donates others to the Sallies.

> Unless she does it using a computer I hardly see the relevance.

It's a Windows program, I'm afraid.

http://www.quiltbus.com/electric-quilt.htm

> On the other
> hand, my reply was relevant - it showed that there are people using Linux
> on their computers on a daily basis to play, work and just USE their
> computers for what they're meant to be used for. *computing*.

Well, good. So then there's one person we know about in that category.