Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: Hard Drive Clicking Noises on Seagate Free Agent Drives

Re: Hard Drive Clicking Noises on Seagate Free Agent Drives

Dave Taylor

"Ouch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:47f9e5ba$(E-Mail Removed):

> Thanks for your help.

Check on Seagate's web site , maybe their seatools supports the usb drive?

Anyways, does it click when it is idle, or in the middle of when you are
actively writing a large 2 gig file to it? My usb drive has a sleep mode
and that is a click of the heads parking and the platters stopping.
My drive is not the same as yours. I have an Western Digital.
I hope that helps.
--
Ciao, Dave

Dave Martindale

"Ouch" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>The drive doesn't click when it's idle. The noise happens when it's writing
>a large file to it. To clarify the situation, I have made a temporary video
>of the noise the drive makes while it is writing a 1.4GB file. You can view
>this video here:

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxZ89UJQvmU

That sounds like normal head seek noise to me.

There are two sharper "click" sounds within the first 2 seconds of the
video that I can't identify; perhaps they are from something else in
the room? But all the other noises sound like normal seeks.

Now, most drives don't do that much seeking when writing one large file on
an empty disk; you'll hear this only when the disk is randomly accessing
files, or writing onto a badly fragmented disk. But someone else
suggested that some Seagate drives avoid leaving the head in one place,
and this noise is consistent with occasional random seeks.

Dave

Dave Martindale

"Ouch" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>The drive is a bit noisier than expected, I certainly
>don't hear noises like that from my laptop's hard drive, but perhaps this is
>because it is completely enclosed, while the 750 gig Seagate drive is an
>external drive?

The external case may well provide a more direct route for sound from
the drive to your ear. In addition, the amount of noise produced by
head movement depends on how fast the positioner moves, how heavy it is,
the clearances in the bearings that carry it, and the algorithms of the
code that drive it. Drives with faster seek times tend to be noisier,
for example, because they have to start and stop the positioner faster.
Some drives even let you program their "acoustic profile", trading off
faster access at one end of the range with quieter operation at the
other end.

Dave