Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > computer only boots on second try

Reply
Thread Tools

computer only boots on second try

 
 
cgimofo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-01-2008
got a scary problem with my pc, after its been off for a while it
doesn't boot on the first attempt, only the second. this is not
intermittant, it happens every time its been off for a while. when it
doesn't boot it gets power, but there's the screen is dead & the hard
drives don't tick over. stuffed mobo or psu?

intel 6600 core2duo, 2.4GHz, 2x2GB ram, 7950GT, dell 24" LCD.

was actually OC'd to 3GHz for a while, but just reduced it back to 2.4
and i think that may be when this started happening...?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
impossible
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-01-2008
"cgimofo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fsugeq$opq$(E-Mail Removed)...
> got a scary problem with my pc, after its been off for a while it doesn't
> boot on the first attempt, only the second. this is not intermittant, it
> happens every time its been off for a while. when it doesn't boot it
> gets power, but there's the screen is dead & the hard drives don't tick
> over. stuffed mobo or psu?
>
> intel 6600 core2duo, 2.4GHz, 2x2GB ram, 7950GT, dell 24" LCD.
>
> was actually OC'd to 3GHz for a while, but just reduced it back to 2.4 and
> i think that may be when this started happening...?


Does your machine otherwise run fine once you've booted up? I'd restore all
the default bios settings first so you have a known baseline to work from.
Still seeing the boot problem? Then consult your motherboard vendor --
especially the online forums they typically run. This may be a known fault,
and there may already be a fix for it.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Bruce Sinclair
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-02-2008
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, thingy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>cgimofo wrote:
>> got a scary problem with my pc, after its been off for a while it
>> doesn't boot on the first attempt, only the second. this is not
>> intermittant, it happens every time its been off for a while. when it
>> doesn't boot it gets power, but there's the screen is dead & the hard
>> drives don't tick over. stuffed mobo or psu?

>
>Suspect the PSU myself.
>
>> intel 6600 core2duo, 2.4GHz, 2x2GB ram, 7950GT, dell 24" LCD.
>>
>> was actually OC'd to 3GHz for a while, but just reduced it back to 2.4
>> and i think that may be when this started happening...?


... might be worth replacing the on board battery ?
Is the puter 3 ish years old maybe ? I know mine did odd things for a while
until the battery was replaced.

Good luck.

 
Reply With Quote
 
~misfit~
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-02-2008
Somewhere on teh intarweb "Bruce Sinclair" typed:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, thingy
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> cgimofo wrote:
>>> got a scary problem with my pc, after its been off for a while it
>>> doesn't boot on the first attempt, only the second. this is not
>>> intermittant, it happens every time its been off for a while. when
>>> it doesn't boot it gets power, but there's the screen is dead &
>>> the hard drives don't tick over. stuffed mobo or psu?

>>
>> Suspect the PSU myself.
>>
>>> intel 6600 core2duo, 2.4GHz, 2x2GB ram, 7950GT, dell 24" LCD.
>>>
>>> was actually OC'd to 3GHz for a while, but just reduced it back to
>>> 2.4 and i think that may be when this started happening...?

>
> .. might be worth replacing the on board battery ?
> Is the puter 3 ish years old maybe ? I know mine did odd things for a
> while until the battery was replaced.
>
> Good luck.


I'll second the battery thing. Cheap and easy to try. I was going to suggest
it as a first step but then saw Bruce beat me to it.

Most likely to be a CR2032, availble most everywhere that sells batteries.
--
Shaun.


 
Reply With Quote
 
cgimofo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-02-2008
impossible wrote:

> Does your machine otherwise run fine once you've booted up? I'd restore all
> the default bios settings first so you have a known baseline to work from.
> Still seeing the boot problem? Then consult your motherboard vendor --
> especially the online forums they typically run. This may be a known fault,
> and there may already be a fix for it.



resetting to bios defaults seems to have sorted it... i must have
forgotten to change something back when reverting the OC lol....

thanks

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
UGG5854 Boots $43,UGG5825 Boots $43 Free Shipping Papal payment guoshi_trade@126.com C Programming 0 03-05-2009 09:09 AM
UGG5854 Boots $43,UGG5825 Boots $43 Free Shipping Papal payment guoshi_trade@126.com Computer Support 0 03-05-2009 09:01 AM
UGG5854 Boots $43,UGG5825 Boots $43 Free Shipping Papal payment guoshi_trade@126.com C++ 0 03-05-2009 08:59 AM
My (old) computer only boots certain boot cds benn686@hotmail.com Computer Support 3 01-11-2007 01:43 AM
Try, Try, Try, again... Rick12N4@netscape.net Computer Support 3 01-29-2005 04:02 PM



Advertisments