Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Dimdows 7 bloat

Dimdows 7 bloat

Hamish Campbell

On Apr 3, 3:19*pm, "impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Hamish Campbell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Apr 3, 6:39 am, "impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >> "Hank Scorpio" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> >>news:47f36739$0$3042$(E-Mail Removed). ..

> >> Sure thing, Larry -- I mean, Mr. L d'O... no wait, "Hank" is it?....ok.

> > By the by, I happen to agree with Hank & Puddle.

> Sure thing, Larry -- I mean, "Hank"... no wait, "Hammish" is it?....ok.

One 'm', and, existential dilemmas aside, I'm prettty sure I exist.

http://twitter.com/polemic

Peace,

Hamish

</not freaking out because I like one OS better than another>

impossible

"Hamish Campbell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On Apr 3, 3:19 pm, "impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> "Hamish Campbell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> > By the by, I happen to agree with Hank & Puddle.

>> Sure thing, Larry -- I mean, "Hank"... no wait, "Hammish" is it?....ok.

> One 'm', and, existential dilemmas aside, I'm prettty sure I exist.

Yes, and I'm pretty sure that Lawyering for Larry Day ended on 1 April. Do
come back next year, however. And bring "Hank" with you, of course

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>, Hamish
Campbell did write:

> The Dimdows thing is really, really old (I mean really old.. no,
> seriously... it's old... I mean, like, old!)...

All part of my plan for world domination
<http://groups.google.co.nz/group/nz.comp/msg/4030b038bb9682ad> ...

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Gartner does an analysis of the resource usage of Windows
<http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=8428> -- is it getting out of control?
Interesting that even the cut-down XP Starter Edition takes twice the
storage space of Linux. And why doesn't Linux have an equivalent
to "Windows rot"?

And as nice as their suggestions for licensing changes sound, I can't see
Microsoft going along with them--too much of a direct threat to their
revenue model.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Microsoft has been promising a "modular" version of Dimdows for about a
decade now
<http://blogs.eweek.com/brooks/content/windows/toward_a_more_perfectly_modular_windows.html>.
Yet every new version has been, if anything, an even more tangled thicket
of interdependencies than before. The article points out the particular
irony of .NET, which was supposed to allow code to be delivered in the form
of modular "assemblies", yet which itself has so many dependencies to and
from other things that its omission from the "Server Core" installation
option in Server 2008 severely cripples its functionality.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Are the Byzantine Dimdows pricing structure and arcane licensing conditions
putting people off <http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=427>?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <ftke36$rdc$(E-Mail Removed)>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> Gartner does an analysis of the resource usage of Windows
> <http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=8428> -- is it getting out of control?

Look at this chart of exponentially-increasing Dimdows resource requirements
over time <http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=8134>. Scary, isn't it...