Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Intellipoint help please?

Intellipoint help please?

XS11E

I have Vista Ultimate 64 with MSFT's Intellimouse Explorer 4.0a mouse
and Intellipoint software 6.20.182.0

When I turn off my PC I usually lose the pointer speed setting and find
it's been reset to the middle postition which is faster than I want.

Anyone know of a similar problem or, better yet, a fix?

FWIW, all the other setting seem to stay the same, scrolling speed,
button assignments, etc. haven't changed.

The Usenet Improvement Project:
http://improve-usenet.org

Carlos

Hi,
This is what I would do.
- Uninstall Intellipoint 6.2 software
- Reboot and let Vista "see" the mouse as a generic one
- Reinstall Intellipoint 6.2 software
There is no harm in trying that.
Best of luck.
Carlos

"XS11E" wrote:

> I have Vista Ultimate 64 with MSFT's Intellimouse Explorer 4.0a mouse
> and Intellipoint software 6.20.182.0
>
> When I turn off my PC I usually lose the pointer speed setting and find
> it's been reset to the middle postition which is faster than I want.
>
> Anyone know of a similar problem or, better yet, a fix?
>
> FWIW, all the other setting seem to stay the same, scrolling speed,
> button assignments, etc. haven't changed.

> The Usenet Improvement Project:
> http://improve-usenet.org

XS11E

Carlos <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> This is what I would do.
> - Uninstall Intellipoint 6.2 software
> - Reboot and let Vista "see" the mouse as a generic one
> - Reinstall Intellipoint 6.2 software
> There is no harm in trying that.

Well, it can't hurt, I'll give it a shot! Thanks for the suggestion.

I tried something a bit different, I removed Intellipoint, rebooted,
opened up the mouse in control panel and set the pointer options as I
wanted them, then I installed IP. We'll see if that helps any.

XS11E <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Carlos <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> This is what I would do.
>> - Uninstall Intellipoint 6.2 software
>> - Reboot and let Vista "see" the mouse as a generic one
>> - Reinstall Intellipoint 6.2 software
>> There is no harm in trying that.

> Well, it can't hurt, I'll give it a shot! Thanks for the
> suggestion.
>
> I tried something a bit different, I removed Intellipoint,
> rebooted, opened up the mouse in control panel and set the pointer
> options as I wanted them, then I installed IP. We'll see if that
> helps any.

Booted up the computer this AM and found the settings back to default
again so the above didn't help.

I give up on this because I've had a couple of other nagging problems
that seem to be growing and I'm thinking something needs to be
addressed. I've got a replacement DVD burner coming next week so I
think I'll install it and then do a fresh install of Vista and I'm
thinking of installing Ultimate 32 bit. I can't think of any good
reason to keep the 64 bit version and it does cause a problem or two
with some software....

I have the weekend to think about it more but any advice is welcome.

The Usenet Improvement Project:
http://improve-usenet.org

Carlos

Can we help you with those "one or two" programs that are causing you problems?
64-bit is the way to go.
32-bit is the past.

Carlos

"XS11E" wrote:

> XS11E <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Carlos <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >> This is what I would do.
> >> - Uninstall Intellipoint 6.2 software
> >> - Reboot and let Vista "see" the mouse as a generic one
> >> - Reinstall Intellipoint 6.2 software
> >> There is no harm in trying that.

> > Well, it can't hurt, I'll give it a shot! Thanks for the
> > suggestion.
> >
> > I tried something a bit different, I removed Intellipoint,
> > rebooted, opened up the mouse in control panel and set the pointer
> > options as I wanted them, then I installed IP. We'll see if that
> > helps any.

> Booted up the computer this AM and found the settings back to default
> again so the above didn't help.
>
> I give up on this because I've had a couple of other nagging problems
> that seem to be growing and I'm thinking something needs to be
> addressed. I've got a replacement DVD burner coming next week so I
> think I'll install it and then do a fresh install of Vista and I'm
> thinking of installing Ultimate 32 bit. I can't think of any good
> reason to keep the 64 bit version and it does cause a problem or two
> with some software....
>
> I have the weekend to think about it more but any advice is welcome.

> The Usenet Improvement Project:
> http://improve-usenet.org

Charlie Russel - MVP

I'm with Carlos on this - yes, you can go to 32-bit. But the future is
64-bit, so let's solve the problems. Also, just a gentle reminder that if
you want to run >3 GB of RAM, your only real option is 64-bit. (Yes, I know,
it's officially 4 GB, but there's no real way to access all of it, so why
spend the $$ on RAM that's hidden.)

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

"XS11E" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> XS11E <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Carlos <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> This is what I would do.
>>> - Uninstall Intellipoint 6.2 software
>>> - Reboot and let Vista "see" the mouse as a generic one
>>> - Reinstall Intellipoint 6.2 software
>>> There is no harm in trying that.

>> Well, it can't hurt, I'll give it a shot! Thanks for the
>> suggestion.
>>
>> I tried something a bit different, I removed Intellipoint,
>> rebooted, opened up the mouse in control panel and set the pointer
>> options as I wanted them, then I installed IP. We'll see if that
>> helps any.

> Booted up the computer this AM and found the settings back to default
> again so the above didn't help.
>
> I give up on this because I've had a couple of other nagging problems
> that seem to be growing and I'm thinking something needs to be
> addressed. I've got a replacement DVD burner coming next week so I
> think I'll install it and then do a fresh install of Vista and I'm
> thinking of installing Ultimate 32 bit. I can't think of any good
> reason to keep the 64 bit version and it does cause a problem or two
> with some software....
>
> I have the weekend to think about it more but any advice is welcome.

> The Usenet Improvement Project:
> http://improve-usenet.org

XS11E

Carlos <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Can we help you with those "one or two" programs that are causing
> you problems?

No, unfortunately, unless you're CEO of Motorola and influential in
several other companies....

From Motorola:
"NOTE: Motorola Software Update works only with the following operating
systems:
Microsoft Windows 2000 (with Service Pack 4)
Windows XP (with Service Pack 2)
Windows Vista (32-bit)"

There's more.

BTW, remember, I've been here about as long as you have (since the
first beta of Longhorn, IIRC) and have straightened out dozens of
problems but there are some that can't be solved, software that's not
been updated and apparently never will be but w/o which I won't run a
PC such as IEPrivacyKeeper.

I may very well drop back to XP, everything works there. Sometimes you
need to know when you're whipped and after this many years it may be
time to admit defeat.... I'm too old and cranky to fool with these
things anymore, I just want a PC that works w/o having to turn off UAC,
w/o having to "run as administrator", w/o having to run in
compatibility mode (which never works!)

"Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I'm with Carlos on this - yes, you can go to 32-bit. But the
> future is 64-bit, so let's solve the problems.

See my reply to Carlos. I think it's time to quit.

The Usenet Improvement Project:
http://improve-usenet.org

Charlie Russel - MVP

Of course, if you run XP, you're running without UAC, as administrator, all
the time. With all the risks that entails. But it's certainly your choice,
and I respect it, even if I don't agree. You've been a positive and
contributing member of this newsgroup practically from the beginning, so
we'll miss you. But if you get bored, feel free to drop by. Carlos and I
will still be here.

--

> Carlos <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Can we help you with those "one or two" programs that are causing
>> you problems?

> No, unfortunately, unless you're CEO of Motorola and influential in
> several other companies....
>
> From Motorola:
> "NOTE: Motorola Software Update works only with the following operating
> systems:
> Microsoft Windows 2000 (with Service Pack 4)
> Windows XP (with Service Pack 2)
> Windows Vista (32-bit)"
>
> There's more.
>
> BTW, remember, I've been here about as long as you have (since the
> first beta of Longhorn, IIRC) and have straightened out dozens of
> problems but there are some that can't be solved, software that's not
> been updated and apparently never will be but w/o which I won't run a
> PC such as IEPrivacyKeeper.
>
> I may very well drop back to XP, everything works there. Sometimes you
> need to know when you're whipped and after this many years it may be
> time to admit defeat.... I'm too old and cranky to fool with these
> things anymore, I just want a PC that works w/o having to turn off UAC,
> w/o having to "run as administrator", w/o having to run in
> compatibility mode (which never works!)

> The Usenet Improvement Project:
> http://improve-usenet.org

Carlos

And he might as well dual-boot XP and Vista x64 while the latter is mature
enough for him.
I wonder what Motorola program is he having problems with?
Motorola phone tools works in Vista x64 with the proper x64 drivers
available at:
http://developer.motorola.com/docstools/USB_Drivers/
Carlos