Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Yet another question about x86 & x64 Vista Upgrade

Reply
Thread Tools

Yet another question about x86 & x64 Vista Upgrade

 
 
Jon W
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-09-2008
After much reading and research trying to find out what included both 32bit &
64bit, and correct me if I'm wrong at any point, the ONLY full retail version
that actually comes with both is Ultimate, while all other retail versions
are eligible for the alternate media, meaning that you walk out of the store
with the 32 bit and can order the 64bit DVD from Microsoft for the cost of
S&H. I am also under the impression that the OEM versions can only be
purchased with only 32bit or 64bit and are NOT eligible for the alternate
media "deal".
However the part that completely eludes me and I have searched for days for
the answer to this question, because I own a license for both XP Home and I'm
looking to upgrade to Home Premium but want to have the 64bit version,
because I plan on adding 2 more gigs of RAM shortly, but I would also like to
at least have the 32bit as an option, in case something goes wrong, maybe
down the road I buy a piece of hardware not 64bit compatible who knows, just
that little bit of comfort to fall back on.

And the Question:
Does the Home Premium upgrade license include both 32 and 64 bit versions?
Can I Order and download the Home Premium Upgrade (32bit) from the Microsoft
Marketplace and still be eligible for the 64bit alternate media?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Colin Barnhorst
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-09-2008
Yes. All retail copies entitle you to both dvds. Buy your upgrade edition
and then order the x64 dvd. I have twice purchased the alternate media for
Vista Home Premium upgrade editions for the S&H fees. You can order as soon
as you have the VHP product key. Both my dvds took about a week to arrive.

"Jon W" <Jon http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> After much reading and research trying to find out what included both
> 32bit &
> 64bit, and correct me if I'm wrong at any point, the ONLY full retail
> version
> that actually comes with both is Ultimate, while all other retail versions
> are eligible for the alternate media, meaning that you walk out of the
> store
> with the 32 bit and can order the 64bit DVD from Microsoft for the cost of
> S&H. I am also under the impression that the OEM versions can only be
> purchased with only 32bit or 64bit and are NOT eligible for the alternate
> media "deal".
> However the part that completely eludes me and I have searched for days
> for
> the answer to this question, because I own a license for both XP Home and
> I'm
> looking to upgrade to Home Premium but want to have the 64bit version,
> because I plan on adding 2 more gigs of RAM shortly, but I would also like
> to
> at least have the 32bit as an option, in case something goes wrong, maybe
> down the road I buy a piece of hardware not 64bit compatible who knows,
> just
> that little bit of comfort to fall back on.
>
> And the Question:
> Does the Home Premium upgrade license include both 32 and 64 bit versions?
> Can I Order and download the Home Premium Upgrade (32bit) from the
> Microsoft
> Marketplace and still be eligible for the 64bit alternate media?


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Jon W
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-09-2008
That's Great! Thank you very much for the quick reply! Exactly what I was
looking for. I was a little disappointed, but not surprised with Microsoft
that they haven't really made this clear anywhere that I found.


"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> Yes. All retail copies entitle you to both dvds. Buy your upgrade edition
> and then order the x64 dvd. I have twice purchased the alternate media for
> Vista Home Premium upgrade editions for the S&H fees. You can order as soon
> as you have the VHP product key. Both my dvds took about a week to arrive.
>
> "Jon W" <Jon (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > After much reading and research trying to find out what included both
> > 32bit &
> > 64bit, and correct me if I'm wrong at any point, the ONLY full retail
> > version
> > that actually comes with both is Ultimate, while all other retail versions
> > are eligible for the alternate media, meaning that you walk out of the
> > store
> > with the 32 bit and can order the 64bit DVD from Microsoft for the cost of
> > S&H. I am also under the impression that the OEM versions can only be
> > purchased with only 32bit or 64bit and are NOT eligible for the alternate
> > media "deal".
> > However the part that completely eludes me and I have searched for days
> > for
> > the answer to this question, because I own a license for both XP Home and
> > I'm
> > looking to upgrade to Home Premium but want to have the 64bit version,
> > because I plan on adding 2 more gigs of RAM shortly, but I would also like
> > to
> > at least have the 32bit as an option, in case something goes wrong, maybe
> > down the road I buy a piece of hardware not 64bit compatible who knows,
> > just
> > that little bit of comfort to fall back on.
> >
> > And the Question:
> > Does the Home Premium upgrade license include both 32 and 64 bit versions?
> > Can I Order and download the Home Premium Upgrade (32bit) from the
> > Microsoft
> > Marketplace and still be eligible for the 64bit alternate media?

>

 
Reply With Quote
 
troutman
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-09-2008
Jon W,

You are correct that it is difficult, if not impossible, to discern from
looking at the Microsoft website what the process is for obtaining 64-bit
media. I recently ordered a new laptop with Vista Business 64 pre-installed
and wanted to upgrade to Vista Ultimate 64. I ordered an Anytime Upgrade from
Amazon and a few days later it arrived with only 32-bit install media. The
included instructions for ordering 64-bit media from Microsoft using your new
product key on the web resulted in an "offer not found" message. I finally
contacted someone at Microsoft by phone who agreed to have the 64-bit media
mailed to me. Its been well more than a week and the 64-bit media has still
not arrived.
This system is seriously flawed. If I know that 64-bit media is what I need,
I should be able to place my initial order for just that product without
jumping through the 64-bit replacement media hoops. This causes unnecessary
delay in getting the product to the customer and extra effort and
complication at Microsoft.


"Jon W" wrote:

> That's Great! Thank you very much for the quick reply! Exactly what I was
> looking for. I was a little disappointed, but not surprised with Microsoft
> that they haven't really made this clear anywhere that I found.
>
>
> "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
>
> > Yes. All retail copies entitle you to both dvds. Buy your upgrade edition
> > and then order the x64 dvd. I have twice purchased the alternate media for
> > Vista Home Premium upgrade editions for the S&H fees. You can order as soon
> > as you have the VHP product key. Both my dvds took about a week to arrive.
> >
> > "Jon W" <Jon (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > After much reading and research trying to find out what included both
> > > 32bit &
> > > 64bit, and correct me if I'm wrong at any point, the ONLY full retail
> > > version
> > > that actually comes with both is Ultimate, while all other retail versions
> > > are eligible for the alternate media, meaning that you walk out of the
> > > store
> > > with the 32 bit and can order the 64bit DVD from Microsoft for the cost of
> > > S&H. I am also under the impression that the OEM versions can only be
> > > purchased with only 32bit or 64bit and are NOT eligible for the alternate
> > > media "deal".
> > > However the part that completely eludes me and I have searched for days
> > > for
> > > the answer to this question, because I own a license for both XP Home and
> > > I'm
> > > looking to upgrade to Home Premium but want to have the 64bit version,
> > > because I plan on adding 2 more gigs of RAM shortly, but I would also like
> > > to
> > > at least have the 32bit as an option, in case something goes wrong, maybe
> > > down the road I buy a piece of hardware not 64bit compatible who knows,
> > > just
> > > that little bit of comfort to fall back on.
> > >
> > > And the Question:
> > > Does the Home Premium upgrade license include both 32 and 64 bit versions?
> > > Can I Order and download the Home Premium Upgrade (32bit) from the
> > > Microsoft
> > > Marketplace and still be eligible for the 64bit alternate media?

> >

 
Reply With Quote
 
Jon W
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-09-2008
Couldn't agree with you more troutman, its almost as if MS is purposely
stifling the distribution of 64bit versions almost like they don't really
want people to know about it. Yet, if more people knew about it, more people
would use it and the more people that used 64bit, means more companies would
be forced to produce 64bit applications simply because the demand would be
there. Yet the growth of the 64bit applications seems really to be null and
void because the demand for them simply isn't there.

Its ridiculous that I can't go to the store to buy a 64bit copy (unless its
OEM), I have to buy the 32bit only to have to order the alternate media to
actually get the 64bit. I can't even download it from Microsoft's Marketplace
because I'm not running a 64bit OS, I have to order the 32bit, download it,
burn it and I still have to order the 64bit media.

But don't get me wrongthough, Kudos to Microsoft for making both x86 and x64
available to both those who purchase the retail upgrade and the full retail
versions. I just wish they would make it a lot more clear as to what you are
getting, 32bit or 64bit and declare somewhere what is included with the
versions you are buying.


"troutman" wrote:

> Jon W,
>
> You are correct that it is difficult, if not impossible, to discern from
> looking at the Microsoft website what the process is for obtaining 64-bit
> media. I recently ordered a new laptop with Vista Business 64 pre-installed
> and wanted to upgrade to Vista Ultimate 64. I ordered an Anytime Upgrade from
> Amazon and a few days later it arrived with only 32-bit install media. The
> included instructions for ordering 64-bit media from Microsoft using your new
> product key on the web resulted in an "offer not found" message. I finally
> contacted someone at Microsoft by phone who agreed to have the 64-bit media
> mailed to me. Its been well more than a week and the 64-bit media has still
> not arrived.
> This system is seriously flawed. If I know that 64-bit media is what I need,
> I should be able to place my initial order for just that product without
> jumping through the 64-bit replacement media hoops. This causes unnecessary
> delay in getting the product to the customer and extra effort and
> complication at Microsoft.
>
>
> "Jon W" wrote:
>
> > That's Great! Thank you very much for the quick reply! Exactly what I was
> > looking for. I was a little disappointed, but not surprised with Microsoft
> > that they haven't really made this clear anywhere that I found.
> >
> >
> > "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
> >
> > > Yes. All retail copies entitle you to both dvds. Buy your upgrade edition
> > > and then order the x64 dvd. I have twice purchased the alternate media for
> > > Vista Home Premium upgrade editions for the S&H fees. You can order as soon
> > > as you have the VHP product key. Both my dvds took about a week to arrive.
> > >
> > > "Jon W" <Jon (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > > After much reading and research trying to find out what included both
> > > > 32bit &
> > > > 64bit, and correct me if I'm wrong at any point, the ONLY full retail
> > > > version
> > > > that actually comes with both is Ultimate, while all other retail versions
> > > > are eligible for the alternate media, meaning that you walk out of the
> > > > store
> > > > with the 32 bit and can order the 64bit DVD from Microsoft for the cost of
> > > > S&H. I am also under the impression that the OEM versions can only be
> > > > purchased with only 32bit or 64bit and are NOT eligible for the alternate
> > > > media "deal".
> > > > However the part that completely eludes me and I have searched for days
> > > > for
> > > > the answer to this question, because I own a license for both XP Home and
> > > > I'm
> > > > looking to upgrade to Home Premium but want to have the 64bit version,
> > > > because I plan on adding 2 more gigs of RAM shortly, but I would also like
> > > > to
> > > > at least have the 32bit as an option, in case something goes wrong, maybe
> > > > down the road I buy a piece of hardware not 64bit compatible who knows,
> > > > just
> > > > that little bit of comfort to fall back on.
> > > >
> > > > And the Question:
> > > > Does the Home Premium upgrade license include both 32 and 64 bit versions?
> > > > Can I Order and download the Home Premium Upgrade (32bit) from the
> > > > Microsoft
> > > > Marketplace and still be eligible for the 64bit alternate media?
> > >

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: Yet another question about x86 & x64 Vista Upgrade hvralpha Windows 64bit 1 05-19-2008 08:39 PM
x64 vs x86.. surprising results in performance (x86 better)? markm75 Windows 64bit 7 01-09-2008 06:41 PM
Printer driver sharing between Vista X86 and Vista X64 Martijn Windows 64bit 1 01-16-2007 08:56 PM
XP x64 -> Vista x86 upgrade? =?Utf-8?B?SmFjaw==?= Windows 64bit 14 11-04-2006 01:47 AM
x64-to-Vista: Will clean-install Vista "upgrade" invalidate x64 license? DP Windows 64bit 11 07-22-2006 11:00 PM



Advertisments