Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Vista 64x 3GB RAM in cache

Vista 64x 3GB RAM in cache

SteveJ

Vista 64x OS; 4GB pc9500 RAM; Total RAM in task manager is 4093MB, but
3117MB is listed in cache with only 300MB "free". What can I do to fix
this problem? Thanks in advance for your help!
Steve

Colin Barnhorst

When you say cache are you talking about on the Performance Tab or what?

"SteveJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Vista 64x OS; 4GB pc9500 RAM; Total RAM in task manager is 4093MB, but
> 3117MB is listed in cache with only 300MB "free". What can I do to fix
> this problem? Thanks in advance for your help!
> Steve

SteveJ

Colin: Yes, on the performance tab, total says 4093 (MB), cache 3117~ and
free 315~. Since I built this machine a month or so ago, it has only shown
the "free" at 3GB+ only once, that after a BSOD. Haven't had a BSOD recently
(they were related to gaming. Additional system specs: intel q6600 quad, an
evga gefprce 8600gts w/ 512mb ram.
thanks, steve
"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> When you say cache are you talking about on the Performance Tab or what?
>
> "SteveJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Vista 64x OS; 4GB pc9500 RAM; Total RAM in task manager is 4093MB, but
> > 3117MB is listed in cache with only 300MB "free". What can I do to fix
> > this problem? Thanks in advance for your help!
> > Steve

Matthew Hawkins

Umm.. what problem?

You have gobs of ram your system isn't otherwise using for applications, so
the OS has helpfully cached some of your disk ops in it. This is what's
meant to happen.

-M

"SteveJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Vista 64x OS; 4GB pc9500 RAM; Total RAM in task manager is 4093MB, but
> 3117MB is listed in cache with only 300MB "free". What can I do to fix
> this problem? Thanks in advance for your help!
> Steve

Peter Lawton

That's quite normal, unlike XP Vista is quite intelligent in that it doesn't
like to waste RAM by leaving it unused for anything at all, so it will
always try to use all the available RAM, that isn't being used by
applications, for caching files etc, rather than leave it being used for
nothing at all like XP did.

The 3117MB that's being used for caching is actually "Free" in that it'll be
released if any application needs it.

There will be a lot of unused RAM after any re-boot as Vista won't have had
time to use it for caching yet.

Peter Lawton

"SteveJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Colin: Yes, on the performance tab, total says 4093 (MB), cache 3117~
> and
> free 315~. Since I built this machine a month or so ago, it has only
> shown
> the "free" at 3GB+ only once, that after a BSOD. Haven't had a BSOD
> recently
> (they were related to gaming. Additional system specs: intel q6600 quad,
> an
> evga gefprce 8600gts w/ 512mb ram.
> thanks, steve
> "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
>
>> When you say cache are you talking about on the Performance Tab or what?
>>
>> "SteveJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Vista 64x OS; 4GB pc9500 RAM; Total RAM in task manager is 4093MB,
>> > but
>> > 3117MB is listed in cache with only 300MB "free". What can I do to
>> > fix
>> > this problem? Thanks in advance for your help!
>> > Steve

SteveJ

Thanks for the explanation, Peter.
Steve