Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > RE: Windows XP Professional x64 Edition Version Confusion

RE: Windows XP Professional x64 Edition Version Confusion

Don

"Hery" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Actually what is the advantages if i'm using windows 64 edition on the
> 64bit
> hardware. I have 64bit hardware and i;m installing windows 32bit edition.
> and
> it's work normally. So there are a big differen between them???

For now the biggest difference is 64 bit will allow your system to use more
ram. There is a 4gb address space limitation in 32 bit Windows, and it will
use some of that space to map resources such as video card, sound card, etc.
So if you have say 4gb of ram installed, you may only get to use somewhere
around 3gb or so.
That limitation does not exist in a 64 bit OS.

As time moves on and more apps are written for 64 bit then the difference
will become more pronounced.

--
Don

Jim L

As these 64 bit apps start turning up will Windows XP pro x64 run them as
well as Vista X64? I ask because I have a copy of XP x64 (not yet installed)
and would like to skip Vista altogether, going directly from XP to Windows 7.

miso@sushi.com

On Dec 24, 5:58*am, Jim L <Jim (E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> As these 64 bit apps start turning up will Windows XP pro x64 run them as
> well as Vista X64? I ask because I have a copy of XP x64 (not yet installed)
> and would like to skip Vista altogether, going directly from XP to Windows 7.
>
> "Don" wrote:
> > As time moves on and more apps are written for 64 bit then the difference
> > will become more pronounced.

A few games have 64 bit modes, such as Half Life 2. I gather there are
more instructions in the 64 bit instruction set since the games
perform more complex rendering. I doubt the programs use more RAM in
64 bit mode.

Regarding Half Life 2, 64 bit mode was actually a pain for a while
since it was full of bugs. It got installed as an update and couldn't
be uninstalled. [How Microsoft of them!] Eventually the bugs were
worked out.

Russ

Everything will move toward windows 64, at least anyting that needs the ram.

"Don" wrote:

> "Hery" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Actually what is the advantages if i'm using windows 64 edition on the
> > 64bit
> > hardware. I have 64bit hardware and i;m installing windows 32bit edition.
> > and
> > it's work normally. So there are a big differen between them???

> For now the biggest difference is 64 bit will allow your system to use more
> ram. There is a 4gb address space limitation in 32 bit Windows, and it will
> use some of that space to map resources such as video card, sound card, etc.
> So if you have say 4gb of ram installed, you may only get to use somewhere
> around 3gb or so.
> That limitation does not exist in a 64 bit OS.
>
> As time moves on and more apps are written for 64 bit then the difference
> will become more pronounced.
>

> --
> Don

Raven

I have just upgraded to a 64 bit computer and would like to use windows xp
pro x64 but I cant seem to find anywhere to get it.Any help or pointers would
be appreciated

XS11E

Raven <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have just upgraded to a 64 bit computer and would like to use
> windows xp pro x64 but I cant seem to find anywhere to get it.Any
> help or pointers would be appreciated

Why the interest in a totally obsolete OS? Get 64 bit Vista or 64 bit
Windows 7.

The Usenet Improvement Project:

johnsuth@nospam.com.au

In <(E-Mail Removed)>, =?Utf-8?B?UmF2ZW4=?= <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>I have just upgraded to a 64 bit computer and would like to use windows xp
>pro x64 but I cant seem to find anywhere to get it.Any help or pointers would
>be appreciated

I understand it is no longer sold by Microsoft dealers.

You could try for a pirate copy from the usual suspects.

Raven

It might be obsolete but I know my way around xp and I am comfortable using
it.So since I managed to get a secondhand 64 bit processor I figured I might
as well get xp pro 64.Don't have the money to upgrade the rest of my computer
to run vista or 7 and don't have any inclination to have to relearn all my
operating systems intricasies and such.

XS11E

Raven <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> It might be obsolete but I know my way around xp and I am
> comfortable using it.So since I managed to get a secondhand 64 bit
> processor I figured I might as well get xp pro 64.Don't have the
> money to upgrade the rest of my computer to run vista or 7 and
> don't have any inclination to have to relearn all my operating
> systems intricasies and such.

Then use XP. You'll very likely have to get a pirated copy of XP 64
bit and then have a whole bunch of trouble finding the drivers that you
need. You'll also find that there's no advantage at all in running XP
64 over XP.

The Usenet Improvement Project:

johnsuth@nospam.com.au

In <(E-Mail Removed)>, =?Utf-8?B?UmF2ZW4=?= <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>It might be obsolete but I know my way around xp and I am comfortable using
>it.So since I managed to get a secondhand 64 bit processor I figured I might
>as well get xp pro 64.Don't have the money to upgrade the rest of my computer
>to run vista or 7 and don't have any inclination to have to relearn all my
>operating systems intricasies and such.

I empathise with you. Be aware however that all Win 64 bit OSs have dropped 16
bit support.

This means no DOS, no Netbios, no 16 bit drivers for old adapters & peripherals
and I suppose no win 3.x apps. I still use all of these on an old box because
they are good enough for my needs.