Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Visual C++ 2008 Feature Pack Redist x64

Visual C++ 2008 Feature Pack Redist x64

Carlos

"The Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Feature Pack Redistributable Package (x64)
installs runtime components of Visual C++ Libraries required to run 64-bit
applications developed with Visual C++ 2008 Feature Pack on a computer that
does not have Visual C++ 2008 installed.

This package installs runtime components of C Runtime (CRT), Standard C++,
ATL, MFC, OpenMP and MSDIA libraries. For libraries that support side-by-side
deployment model (CRT, SCL, ATL, MFC, OpenMP) they are installed into the
native assembly cache, also called WinSxS folder, on versions of Windows
operating system that support side-by-side assemblies.

And here's the x86 version that coexist with the x64 version in Vista x64

Not an imperative update. Doesn't do any harm to install it.
As I have already mentioned before I have stumbled a couple of times with
applications that needed these dll's that were not included in their
installation packages (ffdshow, RivaTuner, to mention a few).
Carlos

Tony Sperling

Thanks, Carlos!

Makes me wonder when they will be releasing a 64bit 'Rat Pack Feature'?

Tony. . .

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "The Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Feature Pack Redistributable Package (x64)
> installs runtime components of Visual C++ Libraries required to run 64-bit
> applications developed with Visual C++ 2008 Feature Pack on a computer

that
> does not have Visual C++ 2008 installed.
>
> This package installs runtime components of C Runtime (CRT), Standard C++,
> ATL, MFC, OpenMP and MSDIA libraries. For libraries that support

side-by-side
> deployment model (CRT, SCL, ATL, MFC, OpenMP) they are installed into the
> native assembly cache, also called WinSxS folder, on versions of Windows
> operating system that support side-by-side assemblies."

> And here's the x86 version that coexist with the x64 version in Vista x64:

> Not an imperative update. Doesn't do any harm to install it.
> As I have already mentioned before I have stumbled a couple of times with
> applications that needed these dll's that were not included in their
> installation packages (ffdshow, RivaTuner, to mention a few).
> Carlos

Homer J. Simpson

> Not an imperative update. Doesn't do any harm to install it.
> As I have already mentioned before I have stumbled a couple of times with
> applications that needed these dll's that were not included in their
> installation packages (ffdshow, RivaTuner, to mention a few).

Those writing applications that require them should know better than not
redistributing files they have dependancies on.

OTOH, getting those from MS would probably be useful in some environment
where you want to preload machines with a specific image.