Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Vista x86 to x64 license

Vista x86 to x64 license

Dave Harry

I have a number of Vista Business 32bit OEM licenses and have just acquired
a Vista x64 Business NFR media without a PIK.

Can I install the 64 bit media in place of the original 32 bit, and use its
key?

--
Dave Harry

Charlie Russel - MVP

IANAL, but the way I read the OEM license is no, you can not. The OEM
license is specific to version. Also, just to be clear, the NFR media is
probably NOT the same media as the OEM, and would use a different key
anyway.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

"Dave Harry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a number of Vista Business 32bit OEM licenses and have just acquired
>a Vista x64 Business NFR media without a PIK.
>
> Can I install the 64 bit media in place of the original 32 bit, and use
> its key?
>
> --
> Dave Harry

Colin Barnhorst

No, the key will not work. In any case, the media should be a standard
retail x64 dvd. A product key that came with it would be the NFR item. How
is it that you got the media without a PK? Perhaps it was a distribution of
SP1 integrated dvd's that was the point. In that case, the distribution
probably assumed that you already had Vista x64 rtm copies and so had PKs.