Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > xp keeps restarting with blue screen on startup

xp keeps restarting with blue screen on startup

bob17

hey this is the second time ive had this problem with my computer.
when i start it, it gets to windows and a blue screen comes up and restarts
the computer. i cant start it in safe mode or recently known settings etc. i
tried to repair with installation cd but would not let me. i could reinstall
but would lose all my data and this could happen again so want to fix the
problem. i haven't recently installed any hardware or anything. my computer
froze 1 day and so i had to press the reset button and then it would not
start windows. i cant read the error message on the blue screen cause it
restarts to quickly.
could anyone help please??

Charlie Russel - MVP

When XP first starts up, press F8, before anything else happens. This will
give you a startup menu that includes Safe Mode, etc.From here, set Windows
to not automatically restart on error. Now you can see the error message.
Report back what you see, and we might be able to help. (Or google the error
message - you'd be surprised how much information you'll find.)

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"bob17" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> hey this is the second time ive had this problem with my computer.
> when i start it, it gets to windows and a blue screen comes up and
> restarts
> the computer. i cant start it in safe mode or recently known settings etc.
> tried to repair with installation cd but would not let me. i could
> reinstall
> but would lose all my data and this could happen again so want to fix the
> problem. i haven't recently installed any hardware or anything. my
> computer
> froze 1 day and so i had to press the reset button and then it would not
> start windows. i cant read the error message on the blue screen cause it
> restarts to quickly.
> could anyone help please??

Colin Barnhorst

Are you running a 64bit version of XP? If not, you may want to post to the
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general newsgroup as this is a newsgroup for 64
bit issues in Windows.

"bob17" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> hey this is the second time ive had this problem with my computer.
> when i start it, it gets to windows and a blue screen comes up and
> restarts
> the computer. i cant start it in safe mode or recently known settings etc.
> tried to repair with installation cd but would not let me. i could
> reinstall
> but would lose all my data and this could happen again so want to fix the
> problem. i haven't recently installed any hardware or anything. my
> computer
> froze 1 day and so i had to press the reset button and then it would not
> start windows. i cant read the error message on the blue screen cause it
> restarts to quickly.
> could anyone help please??

bob17

i dont get the option to set windows to not automatically restart when i
press F8 is there any other way??

instead i have just installed windows on a different partion (D drive
instead of C) and my comp starts up in D and i can access my C drive files
but none of them will work if im running in D drive. do i have any other
options apart from reformating my c drive?
As this problem has happened before i really dont want to reinstall
everything and then it crash again.
any help is appreciated thank you

Charlie Russel - MVP

Yes, you do. The option is called "disable automatic restart on system
failure". (I had to go build an XP machine to find the exact name.)

That is the only way to see what the error message is. It won't solve your
problem. But it might allow you to identify your problem. If this has
happened more than once, you either have a hardware problem, a driver
problem, or unsafe computing habits leading to infection.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

"bob17" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>i dont get the option to set windows to not automatically restart when i
> press F8 is there any other way??
>
> instead i have just installed windows on a different partion (D drive
> instead of C) and my comp starts up in D and i can access my C drive files
> but none of them will work if im running in D drive. do i have any other
> options apart from reformating my c drive?
> As this problem has happened before i really dont want to reinstall
> everything and then it crash again.
> any help is appreciated thank you

dino8418

I have same problem,error that you cant see is blue screen.I have 1
question when you install windows on d driver does it let you to move
data from c to d driver.

--
dino8418
dino8418's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/112671.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Bobby Johnson

You can move data as long it's not part of the operating system.