Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Java Runtime Environment Update

Java Runtime Environment Update

Carlos

Sun (http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp) has updated is Java
Runtime Environment.
Current version is JR6 Update 6, former was Update 5

Click the "Download" button to the right of "Java Runtime Environment (JRE)
6 Update 6".
On the following page select "Windows" as Platform (DO NOT select Windows
x64), click on "I Agree.." and press "Continue" button.
I usually choose the 15 megabytes file "jre-6u6-windows-i586-p.exe" that
allows me to do offline installs.

Don't forget to uninstall the previous version of Java via Control Panel.

This JRE works with Internet Explorer 32-bit, which happens to be the
default IE on x64 systems (XP and Vista).
There is still no JRE for IE x64.
You WILL find an x64 version of JRE but it doesn't work with IE x64.

Carlos

Kue2

Thanks Carlos ()))

news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Sun (http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp) has updated is Java
> Runtime Environment.
> Current version is JR6 Update 6, former was Update 5
>
> Click the "Download" button to the right of "Java Runtime Environment
> (JRE)
> 6 Update 6".
> On the following page select "Windows" as Platform (DO NOT select Windows
> x64), click on "I Agree.." and press "Continue" button.
> I usually choose the 15 megabytes file "jre-6u6-windows-i586-p.exe" that
> allows me to do offline installs.
>
> Don't forget to uninstall the previous version of Java via Control Panel.
>
> This JRE works with Internet Explorer 32-bit, which happens to be the
> default IE on x64 systems (XP and Vista).
> There is still no JRE for IE x64.
> You WILL find an x64 version of JRE but it doesn't work with IE x64.
>
> Carlos

Mike

Carlos,
I have never been one for Beta's. I assume that you trust them since you
recommend them.
Thanks though
Mike

news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Sun (http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp) has updated is Java
> Runtime Environment.
> Current version is JR6 Update 6, former was Update 5
>
> Click the "Download" button to the right of "Java Runtime Environment
> (JRE)
> 6 Update 6".
> On the following page select "Windows" as Platform (DO NOT select Windows
> x64), click on "I Agree.." and press "Continue" button.
> I usually choose the 15 megabytes file "jre-6u6-windows-i586-p.exe" that
> allows me to do offline installs.
>
> Don't forget to uninstall the previous version of Java via Control Panel.
>
> This JRE works with Internet Explorer 32-bit, which happens to be the
> default IE on x64 systems (XP and Vista).
> There is still no JRE for IE x64.
> You WILL find an x64 version of JRE but it doesn't work with IE x64.
>
> Carlos

Colin Barnhorst

I don't think Carlos recommends them, but for a long time now the only
drivers and utilities from some companies for x64 have been labeled beta.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Carlos,
> I have never been one for Beta's. I assume that you trust them since you
> recommend them.
> Thanks though
> Mike

> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Sun (http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp) has updated is Java
>> Runtime Environment.
>> Current version is JR6 Update 6, former was Update 5
>>
>> Click the "Download" button to the right of "Java Runtime Environment
>> (JRE)
>> 6 Update 6".
>> On the following page select "Windows" as Platform (DO NOT select Windows
>> x64), click on "I Agree.." and press "Continue" button.
>> I usually choose the 15 megabytes file "jre-6u6-windows-i586-p.exe" that
>> allows me to do offline installs.
>>
>> Don't forget to uninstall the previous version of Java via Control Panel.
>>
>> This JRE works with Internet Explorer 32-bit, which happens to be the
>> default IE on x64 systems (XP and Vista).
>> There is still no JRE for IE x64.
>> You WILL find an x64 version of JRE but it doesn't work with IE x64.
>>
>> Carlos

Carlos

Colin,
These Java releases are not betas.
They are simply updates to the final JRE6.
Sun Java is the only JVM that I know of that is free and works trouble-free
with IE32 bit.
The only beta is JRE7, which I have made no mention of.
I think maybe Mike misunderstood my comment that there was still no support
for IE64 bit.
That is another file, another development, that could be regarded as "beta"
because it doesn't support IE64, but the release has nothing of beta by
itself.

Carlos

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> I don't think Carlos recommends them, but for a long time now the only
> drivers and utilities from some companies for x64 have been labeled beta.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Carlos,
> > I have never been one for Beta's. I assume that you trust them since you
> > recommend them.
> > Thanks though
> > Mike
> >
> > "Carlos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Sun (http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp) has updated is Java
> >> Runtime Environment.
> >> Current version is JR6 Update 6, former was Update 5
> >>
> >> Click the "Download" button to the right of "Java Runtime Environment
> >> (JRE)
> >> 6 Update 6".
> >> On the following page select "Windows" as Platform (DO NOT select Windows
> >> x64), click on "I Agree.." and press "Continue" button.
> >> I usually choose the 15 megabytes file "jre-6u6-windows-i586-p.exe" that
> >> allows me to do offline installs.
> >>
> >> Don't forget to uninstall the previous version of Java via Control Panel.
> >>
> >> This JRE works with Internet Explorer 32-bit, which happens to be the
> >> default IE on x64 systems (XP and Vista).
> >> There is still no JRE for IE x64.
> >> You WILL find an x64 version of JRE but it doesn't work with IE x64.
> >>
> >> Carlos

Carlos

And this is what MSFT has to say about Java support:
http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/java/default.mspx

As a bonus to my post, this is the page I use for testing the successful
installation of Java
http://www.upshot.com/login/javatest...avavmtest.html

Carlos
"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> I don't think Carlos recommends them, but for a long time now the only
> drivers and utilities from some companies for x64 have been labeled beta.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Carlos,
> > I have never been one for Beta's. I assume that you trust them since you
> > recommend them.
> > Thanks though
> > Mike
> >
> > "Carlos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Sun (http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp) has updated is Java
> >> Runtime Environment.
> >> Current version is JR6 Update 6, former was Update 5
> >>
> >> Click the "Download" button to the right of "Java Runtime Environment
> >> (JRE)
> >> 6 Update 6".
> >> On the following page select "Windows" as Platform (DO NOT select Windows
> >> x64), click on "I Agree.." and press "Continue" button.
> >> I usually choose the 15 megabytes file "jre-6u6-windows-i586-p.exe" that
> >> allows me to do offline installs.
> >>
> >> Don't forget to uninstall the previous version of Java via Control Panel.
> >>
> >> This JRE works with Internet Explorer 32-bit, which happens to be the
> >> default IE on x64 systems (XP and Vista).
> >> There is still no JRE for IE x64.
> >> You WILL find an x64 version of JRE but it doesn't work with IE x64.
> >>
> >> Carlos

Dominick

Mike wrote:
> Carlos,
> I have never been one for Beta's. I assume that you trust them since you
> recommend them.
> Thanks though
> Mike

> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Sun (http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp) has updated is Java
>> Runtime Environment.
>> Current version is JR6 Update 6, former was Update 5
>>
>> Click the "Download" button to the right of "Java Runtime Environment
>> (JRE)
>> 6 Update 6".
>> On the following page select "Windows" as Platform (DO NOT select Windows
>> x64), click on "I Agree.." and press "Continue" button.
>> I usually choose the 15 megabytes file "jre-6u6-windows-i586-p.exe" that
>> allows me to do offline installs.
>>
>> Don't forget to uninstall the previous version of Java via Control Panel.
>>
>> This JRE works with Internet Explorer 32-bit, which happens to be the
>> default IE on x64 systems (XP and Vista).
>> There is still no JRE for IE x64.
>> You WILL find an x64 version of JRE but it doesn't work with IE x64.
>>
>> Carlos

I have a strange problem. Under Vista x64, IE 7 (I use the 32 bit IE)
has no support for Java at all. I have tried 6 update 5,6 and beta 10.
Here is what I know:

1. Firefox works fine (with beta 10).
2. It acts like there is no Java on the machine at all.
3. The plugin is loaded (I checked the menu of plugins)
4. Av turned off
5 Anti-spyware turned off
6. Unistalled/reinstalled, using the Installer cleanup ion between
7. It won't even start in the system tray, like it does when Firefox
comes up
8. Have tried numerous applet tests on the Internet
9. It is enabled in Options
10. Security is set to run applets, scripting, ActiveX controls

What can I do to get this working?

Carlos

Tools, Internet Options, Advanced, Java (Sun)
Do you have a check there in the "Use JRE 1.6.0_06..."?
Other than that, I am out of ideas and quite busy preparing skewers with
onions, peppers, sirloin and sausage. All of it cooked with firewood...and
paired with 5 measures of Champagne and 1 measure of Cassis Creme Liquor.

Carlos

Carlos wrote:
> Tools, Internet Options, Advanced, Java (Sun)
> Do you have a check there in the "Use JRE 1.6.0_06..."?
> Other than that, I am out of ideas and quite busy preparing skewers with
> onions, peppers, sirloin and sausage. All of it cooked with firewood...and
> paired with 5 measures of Champagne and 1 measure of Cassis Creme Liquor.
>
> Carlos
>
> "Dominick" wrote:
>
>> Mike wrote:
>>> Carlos,
>>> I have never been one for Beta's. I assume that you trust them since you
>>> recommend them.
>>> Thanks though
>>> Mike
>>>
>>> "Carlos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news(E-Mail Removed)...

>> I have a strange problem. Under Vista x64, IE 7 (I use the 32 bit IE)
>> has no support for Java at all. I have tried 6 update 5,6 and beta 10.
>> Here is what I know:
>>
>> 1. Firefox works fine (with beta 10).
>> 2. It acts like there is no Java on the machine at all.
>> 3. The plugin is loaded (I checked the menu of plugins)
>> 4. Av turned off
>> 5 Anti-spyware turned off
>> 6. Unistalled/reinstalled, using the Installer cleanup ion between
>> 7. It won't even start in the system tray, like it does when Firefox
>> comes up
>> 8. Have tried numerous applet tests on the Internet
>> 9. It is enabled in Options
>> 10. Security is set to run applets, scripting, ActiveX controls
>>
>> What can I do to get this working?

Yes that option is checked

Carlos

Can you see: