Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > CD Drive Only Reading Windows Disks

CD Drive Only Reading Windows Disks

dtriana

This might be tough one for you....

I formatted windows with this drive and Installed Office 2007 but it won't
read any other cds. These are Driver CDs that I know work because I have
used them and they work in other peoples drives. Also the drive is a Plextor
and on their site it says that no drivers need to be installed and there are
no drivers to install anyway.

So what is the deal...

Carlos

dtriana,
It seems that you are having major problems with your PC.
Yesterday you couldn't access your two old IDE drives and now it is the
optical drive.
I guess that, in the process of adding new hardware, there may be issues
with the wiring.
I am not that sure that it is a software and/or Vista issue.
What is exactly "won't read any other cds"?
Do you receive an error message?
Do the cds seem to be blank?
Do you have an antivirus?

Carlos

"dtriana" wrote:

> This might be tough one for you....
>
> I formatted windows with this drive and Installed Office 2007 but it won't
> read any other cds. These are Driver CDs that I know work because I have
> used them and they work in other peoples drives. Also the drive is a Plextor
> and on their site it says that no drivers need to be installed and there are
> no drivers to install anyway.
>
> So what is the deal...

dtriana

Funny yes i know, but I did fix one of the hard drives I am not so sure about
the 80gb drive. The wiring is correct. And when I say it won't read, I mean
the cd appears to be blank. This is the first computer I have built on my
own but I have read all the manuals and know what I am doing for the most
part. I don't consider these major problems just learning experiences.

"Carlos" wrote:

> dtriana,
> It seems that you are having major problems with your PC.
> Yesterday you couldn't access your two old IDE drives and now it is the
> optical drive.
> I guess that, in the process of adding new hardware, there may be issues
> with the wiring.
> I am not that sure that it is a software and/or Vista issue.
> What is exactly "won't read any other cds"?
> Do you receive an error message?
> Do the cds seem to be blank?
> Do you have an antivirus?
>
> Carlos
>
> "dtriana" wrote:
>
> > This might be tough one for you....
> >
> > I formatted windows with this drive and Installed Office 2007 but it won't
> > read any other cds. These are Driver CDs that I know work because I have
> > used them and they work in other peoples drives. Also the drive is a Plextor
> > and on their site it says that no drivers need to be installed and there are
> > no drivers to install anyway.
> >
> > So what is the deal...

Carlos

dtriana,
Try this:
and check whether it solves your problem or not.

Now I wonder... How did you fix one of the hard drives?
Please share that piece of info with the group.

Carlos

"dtriana" wrote:

> Funny yes i know, but I did fix one of the hard drives I am not so sure about
> the 80gb drive. The wiring is correct. And when I say it won't read, I mean
> the cd appears to be blank. This is the first computer I have built on my
> own but I have read all the manuals and know what I am doing for the most
> part. I don't consider these major problems just learning experiences.
>

> "Carlos" wrote:
>
> > dtriana,
> > It seems that you are having major problems with your PC.
> > Yesterday you couldn't access your two old IDE drives and now it is the
> > optical drive.
> > I guess that, in the process of adding new hardware, there may be issues
> > with the wiring.
> > I am not that sure that it is a software and/or Vista issue.
> > What is exactly "won't read any other cds"?
> > Do you receive an error message?
> > Do the cds seem to be blank?
> > Do you have an antivirus?
> >
> > Carlos
> >
> > "dtriana" wrote:
> >
> > > This might be tough one for you....
> > >
> > > I formatted windows with this drive and Installed Office 2007 but it won't
> > > read any other cds. These are Driver CDs that I know work because I have
> > > used them and they work in other peoples drives. Also the drive is a Plextor
> > > and on their site it says that no drivers need to be installed and there are
> > > no drivers to install anyway.
> > >
> > > So what is the deal...

John Barnes

FWIW Plextor drives are junk IMHO. I bought one when SATA drives first
became available. It was very erratic. Read some disks, not others. Wrote
sometimes when it was in the mood. I, unfortunately, started reading the
reviews as they came in, along with a look at the page on Plextor's site,
all of which showed that Plextor's drives have multiple problems with many
motherboards. I have since bought NEC and LiteOn drives and have had no
problems. The Plextor has been retired to the garage. NEVER AGAIN.

"dtriana" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> This might be tough one for you....
>
> I formatted windows with this drive and Installed Office 2007 but it won't
> read any other cds. These are Driver CDs that I know work because I have
> used them and they work in other peoples drives. Also the drive is a
> Plextor
> and on their site it says that no drivers need to be installed and there
> are
> no drivers to install anyway.
>
> So what is the deal...

Carlos

John,
I have also been using ASUS DVD drives with very good results.
I believe they are re-branded Pioneer drives.
Now I jumped to optical SATA with a Samsung/Toshiba SH-S203D.
So far, so good.
Carlos

"John Barnes" wrote:

> FWIW Plextor drives are junk IMHO. I bought one when SATA drives first
> became available. It was very erratic. Read some disks, not others. Wrote
> sometimes when it was in the mood. I, unfortunately, started reading the
> reviews as they came in, along with a look at the page on Plextor's site,
> all of which showed that Plextor's drives have multiple problems with many
> motherboards. I have since bought NEC and LiteOn drives and have had no
> problems. The Plextor has been retired to the garage. NEVER AGAIN.
>
> "dtriana" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > This might be tough one for you....
> >
> > I formatted windows with this drive and Installed Office 2007 but it won't
> > read any other cds. These are Driver CDs that I know work because I have
> > used them and they work in other peoples drives. Also the drive is a
> > Plextor
> > and on their site it says that no drivers need to be installed and there
> > are
> > no drivers to install anyway.
> >
> > So what is the deal...

John Barnes

Hola Carlos
I have been using the Samsung Hard Drives for several years. Quietest
drives I have ever used, and so far I've never had a problem with them.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...