Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Mainstream laptops with 64-bit Vista and > 4GB RAM

Mainstream laptops with 64-bit Vista and > 4GB RAM

guuwwe@hotmail.com

Any idea when mainstream/retail laptops start using 64-bit Vista and
more than 4GB RAM?

Currently, I rarely see any 64-bit laptops in retail, and even when I
see them
they come with hardware limit of 4GB on RAM and installed 2-3 GB RAM.
I am not asking about special-order laptops but retail/mainstream.

Charlie Russel - MVP

Probably as much a function of RAM prices/availability. The current laptop
processors can handle 8 GB fairly well, but the BIOS needs to catch up and
the SoDIMMs need to be readily available. Right now, 2 GB DDR2 SoDIMMs are
available, but 4 GB DDR2 SoDIMMs are very hard to find. And quite expensive.

64-bit on shipping laptops, however, hasn't been hard to find for quite a
while. Heck, I bought my laptop (Acer Ferrari 4000) with 64-bit Windows XP
almost 3 years ago.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

miso@sushi.com

On Apr 3, 9:52 am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Any idea when mainstream/retail laptops start using 64-bit Vista and
> more than 4GB RAM?
>
> Currently, I rarely see any 64-bit laptops in retail, and even when I
> see them
> they come with hardware limit of 4GB on RAM and installed 2-3 GB RAM.
> I am not asking about special-order laptops but retail/mainstream.

I've been trying to find this out myself. My first step is to rule
out anything that isn't on the Santa Rosa chipset. I've been limiting
my search to Fujitsu and managed to find details about their bios on
the net. However, there was no mention of memory remap. My email went
unanswered or lost in the spam trap, so I will have to call them. My
problem is just because some person says it is so on the phone,
reality may be different. That is why I rather have it in writing.

Obviously if the vendor sells the notebook with 64 bit vista, that is
a good start. Still, that alone would not insure you can reach the 4G
limit.

Barb Bowman

actually, HP is making a consumer notebook with 4GB RAM, x64
Ultimate. It is a TX2000 - true tablet, all kinds of entertainment
features, etc. this is a main stream consumer laptop. I'm expecting
a review unit today I believe. I don't know which models of this
will hit the retail channel, but some will.

On Sun, 6 Apr 2008 19:55:43 -0700, "Edward Eisenheim"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>You wont find anything decent at Best Buy or Costco. That is strictly low
>level consumer stuff.
>
>You need to go to Lenovo.com or Dell.com and configure a laptop properly. I
>have a ThinkPad R61 and Vista Business 64 bit. It is awesome! I wouldn't
>trade it for anything, but you're not going to find a laptop properly spec'd
>out at a retail store.
>
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Any idea when mainstream/retail laptops start using 64-bit Vista and
>> more than 4GB RAM?
>>
>> Currently, I rarely see any 64-bit laptops in retail, and even when I
>> see them
>> they come with hardware limit of 4GB on RAM and installed 2-3 GB RAM.
>> I am not asking about special-order laptops but retail/mainstream.

--

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP

guuwwe@hotmail.com

On Apr 6, 10:55*pm, "Edward Eisenheim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> You wont find anything decent at Best Buy or Costco. That is strictly low
> level consumer stuff.
>
> You need to go to Lenovo.com or Dell.com and configure a laptop properly. I
> have a ThinkPad R61 and Vista Business 64 bit. It is awesome! I wouldn't
> trade it for anything, but you're not going to find a laptop properly spec'd
> out at a retail store.
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

I am not asking what is available at retail ***today***

The question is "when mainstream/retail laptops start using
64-bit Vista and more than 4GB RAM?", the keyword here
is ***when***, i.e. in 1 year, in 2 years, etc. If you want
a definition of retail, assume the store shelves at CompUSA.

I expected some people providing an analysis on the basis
of things like preinstalled RAM in an average retail laptop over time,
e.g. one year ago it was about 1-2 GB RAM, now it is about
2-3GB RAM. This would imply the retail laptops would break 4GB
in about 2 years.

Colin Barnhorst

It seems like you have answered your own question. I would contact a major
vendor like HP or Acer and ask your question. I suspect the governing
factor is the thermal and power characteristics of 2GB sodimms.