Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > MS 2008 Product Roll-out

MS 2008 Product Roll-out

Scrat

Just attended the Microsoft "Heroes Happen here" 2008 product-line roll-out
in Seattle. Developer Track.

It was worthwhile simply on the basis of the free software I received:

1. Enterprise Server 2008, 32-bit and 64-bit versions - 1-year trial license
2. SQL Server 2008 Standard w/voucher for upgrade to Release - retail
license
3. Visual Studio 2008 Standard - retail license
4. Vista Ultimate 32-bit w/SP1 - retail license
5. 90 day One-care license
6. Windows Mobile Developer Resource Kit - trial license (don't know how
long, haven't opened; probably 1-year)

I have never been a a fan of Multiple Sclerosis, but I have to admit, if
these 2008 versions live up to the hype, they are a big step forward for MS.
Several big-outfit partners testified to some amazing productivity gains
using Visual Studio. There are some very ambitious per-project productivity
and profiling tools built right in. 1-year development cycles slashed to 90
days, etc.

Not a single crash during the code demonstrations.

2008 Server looks *very* nice. Open Source has obviously scared-the-hell out
of them. Among other things, MS appears to have *really* taken
virtualization to heart. Staging new servers, etc. I'm going to load the
64-bit version in a bit. I'll report.

\s

Charlie Russel - MVP

I've been running Server 2008 for over a year. And in production since the
fall. I love it. Hyper-V is still beta (well, RC0), but it's already my
preferred virtualization whenever it will do the job. And the new TS
RemoteApps functionality simply ROCKS. I'm also a big fan of Server Core.

Overall, I'd have to say this is a solid release, and one I'm pretty happy
about.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64