Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Browser + local Python-based web server vs. wxPython

Browser + local Python-based web server vs. wxPython

python@bdurham.com

I'm looking at rewriting some legacy VB applications and am pondering
which of the following techniques to use:

1. Browser based GUI with local web server (Browser +
wsgiref.simple_server) (I'm assuming that simple_server is class I want
to build from for a local web server)

-OR-

2. wxPython based GUI

My thought is that a browser/local web server setup may be more portable
to mobile environments than wxPython and may offer a way to scale a
single user offline application to a multi-user online application using
a remote vs. local web server. Some groups of users may feel more
comfortable with a browser based interface as well.

I'm looking for feedback from anyone that has pondered the same question
as well as any pros/cons or tips from anyone that has chosen the
browser/lcoal web server route.

Thanks,

Malcolm

bruno.desthuilliers@gmail.com

On 5 mai, 16:22, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I'm looking at rewriting some legacy VB applications and am pondering
> which of the following techniques to use:
>
> 1. Browser based GUI with local web server (Browser +
> wsgiref.simple_server) (I'm assuming that simple_server is class I want
> to build from for a local web server)
>
> -OR-
>
> 2. wxPython based GUI
>
> My thought is that a browser/local web server setup may be more portable
> to mobile environments than wxPython and may offer a way to scale a
> single user offline application to a multi-user online application using
> a remote vs. local web server. Some groups of users may feel more
> comfortable with a browser based interface as well.
>
> I'm looking for feedback from anyone that has pondered the same question
> as well as any pros/cons or tips from anyone that has chosen the
> browser/lcoal web server route.

Your question, in short, is web app vs rich GUI client app. Which is
nothing new (and not Python-specific FWIW). And the answer depends
mostly on what your app do and what your target audience is.

Mike Driscoll

On May 5, 9:22*am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I'm looking at rewriting some legacy VB applications and am pondering
> which of the following techniques to use:
>
> 1. Browser based GUI with local web server (Browser +
> wsgiref.simple_server) (I'm assuming that simple_server is class I want
> to build from for a local web server)
>
> -OR-
>
> 2. wxPython based GUI
>
> My thought is that a browser/local web server setup may be more portable
> to mobile environments than wxPython and may offer a way to scale a
> single user offline application to a multi-user online application using
> a remote vs. local web server. Some groups of users may feel more
> comfortable with a browser based interface as well.
>
> I'm looking for feedback from anyone that has pondered the same question
> as well as any pros/cons or tips from anyone that has chosen the
> browser/lcoal web server route.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Malcolm

wxPython is great for desktop applications on Linux, Windows and Mac.
However, there isn't much support for it on mobile platforms at the
moment. If you're thinking your application will be mostly for mobile
environments, then you'll probably want to look at Python web
frameworks, Jython or Silverlight + IronPython (if you want to use
Python on the web).

The most popular Python web frameworks seem to be TurboGears, Django,
Pylons, CherryPy and mod_python.

I know you can run TurboGears, Django and CherryPy locally as well as
with Apache, so they might garner more of your attention.

Mike

Stef Mientki

Mike Driscoll wrote:
> On May 5, 9:22 am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> I'm looking at rewriting some legacy VB applications and am pondering
>> which of the following techniques to use:
>>
>> 1. Browser based GUI with local web server (Browser +
>> wsgiref.simple_server) (I'm assuming that simple_server is class I want
>> to build from for a local web server)
>>
>> -OR-
>>
>> 2. wxPython based GUI
>>
>> My thought is that a browser/local web server setup may be more portable
>> to mobile environments than wxPython and may offer a way to scale a
>> single user offline application to a multi-user online application using
>> a remote vs. local web server. Some groups of users may feel more
>> comfortable with a browser based interface as well.
>>
>> I'm looking for feedback from anyone that has pondered the same question
>> as well as any pros/cons or tips from anyone that has chosen the
>> browser/lcoal web server route.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Malcolm
>>

> wxPython is great for desktop applications on Linux, Windows and Mac.
> However, there isn't much support for it on mobile platforms at the
> moment. If you're thinking your application will be mostly for mobile
> environments,

I've been looking for several months now for a way to program mobile
devices,
and indeed as Mike said, wxPython has not much support so I didn't dare
to try it.
A week ago I found PocketPyGui,
which is well supported, rock stable and qua functionality quit similar
to wxPython
and in some aspects even much easier than wxPython.
The only disadavantage is that it's only suited for windows mobile.
To give an idea, how well it works:
in a week of spare time, I build an application with about 20 screens,
build an emulator for it in wxPython ( not completely finished),
and I now consider to build a wxPython wrapper (so I only have to know 1
kind of syntax)

cheers,
Stef

Bruno Desthuilliers

Mike Driscoll a écrit :
(snip)
> The most popular Python web frameworks seem to be TurboGears, Django,
> Pylons, CherryPy and mod_python.

I wouldn't call mod_python a web framework. It's a library that exposes
(most of) Apache's request handling process to Python, and is mostly
used as a deployment solution.

> I know you can run TurboGears, Django and CherryPy locally as well as
> with Apache, so they might garner more of your attention.

Idem for Pylons (and FWIW, Turbogears 2 will be based on Pylons).

<OP>
My own personal preference goes to Pylons, but so far Django is way more
stable and better documented.