Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Re: Is this a good way? Please advise.

Re: Is this a good way? Please advise.

Jerry

Hi, Marina,
Thank you for your response. The data stored in the session could be 10000
rows data set as you said, it could also be string or intergers. The only
purpose of this process is to limit developers from using session
variables.

So your vote: NO
Thank you again.

Jerry

"Marina" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:edT$(E-Mail Removed)...
> What exactly do you want to store in session? Are we talking datasets

with
> 10000 rows each, or just some strings or integers?
>
> Your process implies distrust of the developers. Why not just decide

which
> session variables you need, and then that's what the developers would
> create? Just make it clear that there has to be an approval process

first -
> but isn't this complicated scheme a bit overboard? I mean, if someone
> doesn't want to follow the rules, he will just access the Session object
> directly. And if everyone is willing to follow them, then they will just

do
> so, and be responsible with the Session object.
>
> "Jerry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:34xWa.22262$(E-Mail Removed) e.rogers.com...
> > Dear All,
> > My company is designing a new ASP.Net web application. Becasuse of the
> > concern of abusing Session variable(will consume memory), our team is

> going
> > to use following apporach to avoid it. Some of team members think it is
> > unnecessary and don't agree with this approach. I would like to hear

your
> > oppinion about this. Or if you use any of process to limit the

developers
> > using session variables in the ASP web application. Thank you in

advance.
> > Following is our proposal process.
> > 1. Add the session variable names to the webconfig file. Only one person

> in
> > the team( 7 developers) is allowed to add it. So if other developers in

> the
> > team need to add new session variable, they need to ask that person to

add
> > it in the Webconfig file first.
> > 2. Create a wrapper class for getting and setting the session variable
> > values. This wrapper class will check if the session variable exists in

> the
> > webconfig file. If not, error returns. Developers ,instead of calling
> > Session object directly, will call the wrapper class method.
> >

> > Regards
> >
> > Jerry

Rajeev Soni

Hi,
well using the session object whenever required / storing the appropriate values is ok, but restricting the developers by just defining the rule of readding the session variable name from the Web.Config file will just add another over head of reading an external file first then reading/placing the values in session.

best thing to do is to access session directly without storing the names in web.config file and as add a coding standard to project development as adding any new session variables should be... approved.
you can also have peer reviews on the code

and u can anytime easily check the values in session by simple writing the peice of code
for (int 1=0; i<Session.Count; i++)
{
Response.Write("<BR>Key : " + Session.Keys[i] + " Value : " + Session[i].ToString());
}

Rajeev