Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: Problem building python in virtual machine running centos

Re: Problem building python in virtual machine running centos

Paul Boddie

On 25 Apr, 03:05, Alexandre Gillet <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I am trying to build python-2.4.5 on Centos 5.1, which is a virtual
> machine running with xen.
> I am not able to build python. The compilation crash with the following:
> gcc -pthread -c -DNDEBUG -g -O3 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -I.
> -I./Include -DPy_BUILD_CORE -o Objects/unicodeobject.o
> Objects/unicodeobject.c
> In file included from ./Include/Python.h:76,
> from Objects/unicodeobject.c:39:
> ./Include/object.h:228: internal compiler error: Segmentation fault
> Please submit a full bug report,
> See <URL:http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla> for instructions.
> The bug is not reproducible, so it is likely a hardware or OS problem.
>
> Any suggestion of what am I doing wrong?

You say that the bug is not reproducible, so that means that you can
sometimes compile Python, or does the crash always happen when
compiling some file (not necessarily the one mentioned above)? I think
I've only ever seen a reproducible gcc crash once, and that had
something to do with a C++ source file which I then split into two and
was able to compile as these two separate parts. You might want to
check the gcc version (gcc -v) and to look at bug fixes in any later
versions. Generally, if you get an internal error in gcc, you aren't
doing anything wrong yourself.

Paul

Paul Melis

Paul Boddie wrote:
> On 25 Apr, 03:05, Alexandre Gillet <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I am trying to build python-2.4.5 on Centos 5.1, which is a virtual
>>machine running with xen.
>>I am not able to build python. The compilation crash with the following:
>>gcc -pthread -c -DNDEBUG -g -O3 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -I.
>>-I./Include -DPy_BUILD_CORE -o Objects/unicodeobject.o
>>Objects/unicodeobject.c
>>In file included from ./Include/Python.h:76,
>> from Objects/unicodeobject.c:39:
>>./Include/object.h:228: internal compiler error: Segmentation fault
>>Please submit a full bug report,
>>with preprocessed source if appropriate.
>>See <URL:http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla> for instructions.
>>The bug is not reproducible, so it is likely a hardware or OS problem.
>>
>>Any suggestion of what am I doing wrong?

> You say that the bug is not reproducible, so that means that you can

"The bug is not reproducible, so it is likely a hardware or OS problem."

This line is printed by GCC itself, not the OP

Paul

> sometimes compile Python, or does the crash always happen when
> compiling some file (not necessarily the one mentioned above)? I think
> I've only ever seen a reproducible gcc crash once, and that had
> something to do with a C++ source file which I then split into two and
> was able to compile as these two separate parts. You might want to
> check the gcc version (gcc -v) and to look at bug fixes in any later
> versions. Generally, if you get an internal error in gcc, you aren't
> doing anything wrong yourself.
>
> Paul

Paul Boddie

On 25 Apr, 14:16, Paul Melis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "The bug is not reproducible, so it is likely a hardware or OS problem."
>
> This line is printed by GCC itself, not the OP

It's a strange thing for anyone to claim in an error message, though,
especially if it is reproducible. Perhaps some people have special
criteria for reproducibility.

Paul