Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Python Success stories

Python Success stories

MRAB

On Apr 30, 10:47 am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > A rather off-topic and perhaps naive question, but isn't a 1:4
> > production/test ratio a bit too much ? Is there a guesstimate of what
> > percentage of this test code tests for things that you would get for
> > free in a statically typed language ? I'm just curious whether this
> > argument against dynamic typing - that you end up doing the job of a
> > static compiler in test code - holds in practice.

> > George

> To me it seems like more of an argument for a (more) concise Test
> Framework for Python, or at least a fully fledge IDE beyond pyDev.

You could just as easily argue that it shows the power of Python:
something that contains so much functionality that it requires 120 000
lines to test completely needs only 30 000 lines to implement!

greg

Someone wrote:
>>>I'm just curious whether this
>>>argument against dynamic typing - that you end up doing the job of a
>>>static compiler in test code - holds in practice.

I suspect that, although some of the things caught
by the tests would be caught by static typing, the
very *same* tests are also catching a lot of things
that wouldn't be caught by static typing.

Also, I don't think it's valid to equate the size of
the tests with the amount of effort it took to develop
them. For instance, the test suite for Pyrex is currently
larger than the Pyrex compiler, but I've still spent
far more time and effort developing the compiler than
writing the tests.

--
Greg

Bruno Desthuilliers

Ben Finney a écrit :
> greg <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> Also, I don't think it's valid to equate the size of the tests with
>> the amount of effort it took to develop them. For instance, the test
>> suite for Pyrex is currently larger than the Pyrex compiler, but
>> I've still spent far more time and effort developing the compiler
>> than writing the tests.

> Right. The unit test suite should tend to increase: add tests far more
> often than removing them. The application code, though, should tend to
> grow less rapidly:

or even sometimes, at some point, start to shrink, thanks to: