Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Python Success stories

Python Success stories

Paul Hankin

On Apr 22, 5:50*pm, Jérémy Wagner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Sure. Python is more readable than Perl, though I have found Python
> to have a weird behavior regarding this little issue :
>
> How can you explain that Python doesn't support the ++ opeator,
> whereas at the same time it does support the += operator ???
>
> No python developer I know has been able to answer that.

Because ++ is of limited use and has poor readability?

'x++' vs 'x += 1' saves 3 characters and is less readable.

'my_long_variable += expression' vs 'my_long_variable =
my_long_variable + expression' saves a lot of characters and is more
readable, because it avoids the duplication of the variable name. When
my_long_variable is a more complex term (perhaps
my_long_variable[some_long_expression]) it's even better.

Plus you get the useful update-in-place behaviour when the left-hand-
side of the += expression is a list.

--
Paul Hankin

Carl Banks

On Apr 22, 12:50 pm, Jérémy Wagner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Sure. Python is more readable than Perl, though I have found Python
> to have a weird behavior regarding this little issue :
>
> How can you explain that Python doesn't support the ++ opeator,
> whereas at the same time it does support the += operator ???

Because "Features A and B are in language X. Python adds Feature A.
Therefore Python must also add Feature B (or it'll be weird)" is not
valid logic.

Carl Banks

Gabriel Genellina

En Tue, 22 Apr 2008 13:50:54 -0300, Jérémy Wagner <(E-Mail Removed)> escribió:

> Sure. Python is more readable than Perl, though I have found Python
> to have a weird behavior regarding this little issue :
>
> How can you explain that Python doesn't support the ++ opeator,
> whereas at the same time it does support the += operator ???
>
> No python developer I know has been able to answer that.

Because Python doesn't follow the "boxed variables" model. In other languages i++ changes the "value" stored inside the box "i", but the box itself (the variable) is still the same. Python doesn't have boxes, it has names that refer to objects. For all builtin numeric types, i += 1 creates a *new* object with the resulting value and makes the name "i" refer to this new object.
i++ would be confusing because it looks like a mutating operation over i, but in fact it would be an assignment.

--
Gabriel Genellina

Mike Hansen

On Apr 22, 3:25 am, azrael <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hy guys,
> A friend of mine i a proud PERL developer which always keeps making
> jokes on python's cost.
>
> Please give me any arguments to cut him down about his commnets
> like :"keep programing i python. maybe, one day, you will be able to
> program in VisualBasic"
>
> This hurts. Please give me informations about realy famous
> aplications.

Sage ( http://www.sagemath.org ) is a pretty large Python computer
algebra system ( about 150,000 unique lines of Python and 75,000
unique lines of Cython as a rough estimate). Python turned out to be
an _excellent_ language do this in since it allows for quick
development time for many things that aren't speed dependent while
allowing a seemless transition to fast code with Cython.

--Mike

Ivan Illarionov

On 22 ÁÐÒ, 14:25, azrael <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
[....]
> This hurts. Please give me informations about realy famous
> aplications.

What do you mean by "really famous"?

Information is here:
http://www.python.org/about/quotes/

Are YouTube and Google famous enough?

--
Ivan

dimitri pater

http://code.google.com/appengine/doc...appengine.html

2008/4/22 Ivan Illarionov <(E-Mail Removed)>:
> On 22 ÁÐÒ, 14:25, azrael <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> [....]
>
> > This hurts. Please give me informations about realy famous
> > aplications.

> What do you mean by "really famous"?
>
> Information is here:
> http://www.python.org/about/quotes/
>
> Are YouTube and Google famous enough?
>
> --
> Ivan

---
You can't have everything. Where would you put it? -- Steven Wright
---
please visit www.serpia.org

Steve Holden

azrael wrote:
> Hy guys,
> A friend of mine i a proud PERL developer which always keeps making
> jokes on python's cost.
>
> Please give me any arguments to cut him down about his commnets
> like :"keep programing i python. maybe, one day, you will be able to
> program in VisualBasic"
>
> This hurts. Please give me informations about realy famous
> aplications.

Ask him why, if Perl is so great, it isn't one of the Google-approved
languages for internal use, when Python *is*.

Ask him how it feels to program in a wrote-only language.

Challenge him to a dual with dead kippers at twenty paces.

regards
Steve
--
Steve Holden +1 571 484 6266 +1 800 494 3119

Steve Holden

Nikita the Spider wrote:
> In article
> <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> azrael <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Which big aplications are written in python. I see its development,
>> But i can't come up with a big name. I know that there are a lot of
>> companys using python, but is there anythong big written only in
>> python. I want him to **** of with his perl once and for all time

> Why are either of you so emotionally attached to the tools you use?
>
> I don't know your friend, but my guess is that he's not interested in a
> logical argument, so he won't be impressed even if you claim that God
> himself wrote the Universe in Python. I think he enjoys saying this
> stuff simply because you react to it. It's pretty sad that he can't find
> something better to do with his time.

It's even sadder that he doesn't need to.

[...]
regards
Steve
--

Nikita the Spider wrote:
> In article
> <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> azrael <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Which big aplications are written in python. I see its development,
>> But i can't come up with a big name. I know that there are a lot of
>> companys using python, but is there anythong big written only in
>> python. I want him to **** of with his perl once and for all time

> Why are either of you so emotionally attached to the tools you use?
>
> I don't know your friend, but my guess is that he's not interested in a
> logical argument, so he won't be impressed even if you claim that God
> himself wrote the Universe in Python. I think he enjoys saying this
> stuff simply because you react to it. It's pretty sad that he can't find
> something better to do with his time.

It's even sadder that he doesn't need to.

[...]
regards
Steve
--
Steve Holden +1 571 484 6266 +1 800 494 3119

Roy Smith

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Steve Holden <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Challenge him to a dual with dead kippers at twenty paces.

You gotta be careful about stuff like this. You might slap him with a dead
kipper only to discover he's got a dead camel in his pocket.

Of course, there's always http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Trout