Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Python Success stories

Reply
Thread Tools

Python Success stories

 
 
Paul Melis
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-22-2008
azrael wrote:
> Which big aplications are written in python. I see its development,
> But i can't come up with a big name. I know that there are a lot of
> companys using python, but is there anythong big written only in
> python. I want him to **** of with his perl once and for all time


Not really "big" in terms of lines of code, but definitely well-known
and widespread: the official BitTorrent client is written in Python (and
has been since the beginning I believe).

Regards,
Paul
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Istvan Albert
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-22-2008
On Apr 22, 6:25 am, azrael <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> A friend of mine i a proud PERL developer which always keeps making
> jokes on python's cost.


> This hurts. Please give me informations about realy famous
> aplications.


you could show him what Master Yoda said when he compared Python to
Perl

http://www.personal.psu.edu/iua1/pythonvsperl.htm

i.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Max Erickson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-22-2008
Ben Finney <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Carl Banks <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> Let me tell you a little story to let you know how you should
>> act in situations like this. Some of you might have heard it
>> before. Apologies if it's a bit long.

>
> I don't know if I've heard it before; it's rather unmemorable.
>
> What lesson is it intended to teach, other than that "**** you"
> is somehow a "retort"? I can't see that improving too many
> situations.
>


I got something like "Don't waste your life worrying about what some
damn clown said" out of it.

You don't even need to swear at the clown to make it work.


max

 
Reply With Quote
 
Banibrata Dutta
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-22-2008
"F**k you" -- is generally an indication of "creativity blackout"
followed by "frustration". Not exactly a clever retort.


On 4/22/08, Max Erickson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Ben Finney <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Carl Banks <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> >
> >> Let me tell you a little story to let you know how you should
> >> act in situations like this. Some of you might have heard it
> >> before. Apologies if it's a bit long.

> >
> > I don't know if I've heard it before; it's rather unmemorable.
> >
> > What lesson is it intended to teach, other than that "**** you"
> > is somehow a "retort"? I can't see that improving too many
> > situations.
> >

>
> I got something like "Don't waste your life worrying about what some
> damn clown said" out of it.
>
> You don't even need to swear at the clown to make it work.
>
>
> max
>
> --
> http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/python-list
>



--
regards,
Banibrata
http://www.linkedin.com/in/bdutta
 
Reply With Quote
 
GHUM
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-22-2008
> Which big aplications are written in python. I see its development,

There are no big applications written in Python.

Big applications are written in JAVA or COBOL or C# or other legacy
programming systems.

If you programm in Python, your applications become quite small. Only
frameworks in Python are big.

best wishes

Harald


Join us @ EuroPython 2008 in Vilnius to have more fun with Python
Submit your talk NOW
www.europython.org
 
Reply With Quote
 
Gabriel Genellina
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-22-2008
En Tue, 22 Apr 2008 07:34:48 -0300, Diez B. Roggisch <(E-Mail Removed)> escribió:
> azrael schrieb:


>> A friend of mine i a proud PERL developer which always keeps making
>> jokes on python's cost.
>>
>> Please give me any arguments to cut him down about his commnets
>> like :"keep programing i python. maybe, one day, you will be able to
>> program in VisualBasic"
>>
>> This hurts. Please give me informations about realy famous
>> aplications.

>
> This isn't worth too much, but nontheless:
>
> http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/conte...pci/index.html


Also, you can enter the Python main site, on the right and very prominently you have a link to many successful stories: http://www.python.org/about/success/

> But the real problem is not your friend - it's you. He hurts you because
> you let him. Stop getting mad about that he teases you.


I agree.

--
Gabriel Genellina

 
Reply With Quote
 
D'Arcy J.M. Cain
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-22-2008
On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 08:35:47 -0700 (PDT)
GHUM <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Which big aplications are written in python. I see its development,

>
> There are no big applications written in Python.
>
> Big applications are written in JAVA or COBOL or C# or other legacy
> programming systems.
>
> If you programm in Python, your applications become quite small. Only
> frameworks in Python are big.


So the fact that there are no big applications written in Python IS the
success story.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <(E-Mail Removed)> | Democracy is three wolves
http://www.druid.net/darcy/ | and a sheep voting on
+1 416 425 1212 (DoD#0082) (eNTP) | what's for dinner.
 
Reply With Quote
 
s0suk3@gmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-22-2008
On Apr 22, 5:25*am, azrael <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hy guys,
> A friend of mine i a proud PERL developer which always keeps making
> jokes on python's cost.
>
> Please give me any arguments to cut him down about his commnets
> like :"keep programing i python. maybe, one day, you will be able to
> program in VisualBasic"
>
> This hurts. Please give me informations about realy famous
> aplications.


Those would be insulting statements, but only if he wouldn't be a Perl
programmer. Everyone knows Perl's best days are long gone. Perl is not
a competent language anymore. I bet your friend is a system
administrator or something like that, because the only use for Perl is
writing quick-and-dirty scripts, and that's something that sysadmins
do the whole day.

Anyway, seeing that nobody has posted on the "big applications"
matter, here are some examples: Zope ( http://www.zope.org ), Medusa
( http://www.nightmare.com/medusa ), Grail ( http://grail.sourceforge.net
).

On the "Python vs. Perl" matter, well, just search "Python Perl" on
Google or some other search engine, you'll literally find nothing but
pages talking about how Python is better than Perl.

On the other hand, I do admit that there's no other language better
than Perl to write a 3-10 line long program. In those cases, the Perl
version will not only be smaller than the C version, but even smaller
than the Python version. This is mostly due to Perls default variables
and "magic" events (like reading a line of a file directly into $_
when you're doing while (<FILE>) {...}, or automatically converting
between integer/string or scalar/list depending on the operators and
context ).

But a competent developer won't be writing such small scripts, unless,
as I said, you're a sysadmin or something like that. Otherwise,
there's no reason to use something as ugly and unconventional as Perl.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Paul Boddie
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-22-2008
On 22 Apr, 16:02, Ben Finney <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
>
> What lesson is it intended to teach, other than that "**** you" is
> somehow a "retort"? I can't see that improving too many situations.


It isn't supposed to teach anything: it's a joke! It'd be more
relevant (yet somewhat surreal if detached from this particular
context) if it ended with the social worker saying...

"Hey clown! What happened to Perl 6?"

Paul
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jérémy Wagner
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-22-2008
Sure. Python is more readable than Perl, though I have found Python
to have a weird behavior regarding this little issue :

How can you explain that Python doesn't support the ++ opeator,
whereas at the same time it does support the += operator ???

No python developer I know has been able to answer that.



Istvan Albert a écrit :
> On Apr 22, 6:25 am, azrael <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> A friend of mine i a proud PERL developer which always keeps making
>> jokes on python's cost.

>
>> This hurts. Please give me informations about realy famous
>> aplications.

>
> you could show him what Master Yoda said when he compared Python to
> Perl
>
> http://www.personal.psu.edu/iua1/pythonvsperl.htm
>
> i.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wanted: New Python Success Stories Stephan Deibel Python 0 03-29-2005 05:43 PM
Python Success Stories Update Stephan Deibel Python 0 08-18-2004 02:12 AM
O'Reilly Python Success Stories, volume II Stephan Deibel Python 0 05-03-2004 06:58 PM
Python Success Stories, volume II Stephan Deibel Python 0 04-30-2004 04:53 AM
Python Success Stories (was Re: Python used in Freedom Force) Stephan Deibel Python 0 01-18-2004 04:06 PM



Advertisments