Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > No "Wireless Connection" Icon

No "Wireless Connection" Icon

=?Utf-8?B?SGVyYnk=?=

I have installed a wireless usb adapter. Everything is installed correctly.
It comes up with no errors in the device manager. But I still can't get a
"wireless connection" icon. I have updated all the drivers. I have read all
the prior newsgroup articles and have read the KB articles. Still no answer.
Can anybody give me an idea of what is going on? I have service pack 2.

WLW

If you mean that it does not show up in the lower right-hand corner of the
desktop then got Control Panel, and run the Network Connections application.
Right-Click on the Wireless Network Connection and select Properties. On the
General tab put a check in the box marked "Show Icon in notification area
when connected". Then click OK to save the settings.

If you mean it does not show up in the Network Connections box under the
list of available connections then the system is not recognizing it as a
Network Interface. Does the system recognize that it a USB device is
connecting when you plug it into the USB Port?
--
William L. Whipple
WWW.EZine.Com

"Herby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have installed a wireless usb adapter. Everything is installed
>correctly.
> It comes up with no errors in the device manager. But I still can't get a
> "wireless connection" icon. I have updated all the drivers. I have read
> all
> the prior newsgroup articles and have read the KB articles. Still no
> answer.
> Can anybody give me an idea of what is going on? I have service pack 2.

=?Utf-8?B?Qm9zaGll?=

I too have the same problem. No Wireless connection icon in the network
connections folder. I found a an article in support that addresses the issue
and references a hotfix but have not found out how to get the hot fix. The
article is KB 829652. Any help??

"Herby" wrote:

> I have installed a wireless usb adapter. Everything is installed correctly.
> It comes up with no errors in the device manager. But I still can't get a
> "wireless connection" icon. I have updated all the drivers. I have read all
> the prior newsgroup articles and have read the KB articles. Still no answer.
> Can anybody give me an idea of what is going on? I have service pack 2.

WLW

> The article is KB 829652. Any help??

That KB article seems to be about changing logon credentials. ???

Have you looked at KB 313242 - How to troubleshoot wireless network
connections in Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313242

--
William L. Whipple
WWW.EZine.Com

"Boshie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I too have the same problem. No Wireless connection icon in the network
> connections folder. I found a an article in support that addresses the
> issue
> and references a hotfix but have not found out how to get the hot fix.
> The
> article is KB 829652. Any help??
>
> "Herby" wrote:
>
>> I have installed a wireless usb adapter. Everything is installed
>> correctly.
>> It comes up with no errors in the device manager. But I still can't get a
>> "wireless connection" icon. I have updated all the drivers. I have read
>> all
>> the prior newsgroup articles and have read the KB articles. Still no
>> answer.
>> Can anybody give me an idea of what is going on? I have service pack 2.

=?Utf-8?B?SGVyYnk=?=

I have both icon problems. It does not show up in the lower right-hand
corner and No wireless connection Icon is in the network connections window.
The USB adapter is working properly and is in network adapter section of
Device Manager.

"WLW" wrote:

> If you mean that it does not show up in the lower right-hand corner of the
> desktop then got Control Panel, and run the Network Connections application.
> Right-Click on the Wireless Network Connection and select Properties. On the
> General tab put a check in the box marked "Show Icon in notification area
> when connected". Then click OK to save the settings.
>
> If you mean it does not show up in the Network Connections box under the
> list of available connections then the system is not recognizing it as a
> Network Interface. Does the system recognize that it a USB device is
> connecting when you plug it into the USB Port?
> --
> William L. Whipple
> WWW.EZine.Com
>

> "Herby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have installed a wireless usb adapter. Everything is installed
> >correctly.
> > It comes up with no errors in the device manager. But I still can't get a
> > "wireless connection" icon. I have updated all the drivers. I have read
> > all
> > the prior newsgroup articles and have read the KB articles. Still no
> > answer.
> > Can anybody give me an idea of what is going on? I have service pack 2.

=?Utf-8?B?SGVyYnk=?=

Yes I checked the all the KB articles. No joy.
"WLW" wrote:

> > The article is KB 829652. Any help??

> That KB article seems to be about changing logon credentials. ???
>
> Have you looked at KB 313242 - How to troubleshoot wireless network
> connections in Windows XP
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313242
>
> --
> William L. Whipple
> WWW.EZine.Com
>

> "Boshie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I too have the same problem. No Wireless connection icon in the network
> > connections folder. I found a an article in support that addresses the
> > issue
> > and references a hotfix but have not found out how to get the hot fix.
> > The
> > article is KB 829652. Any help??
> >
> > "Herby" wrote:
> >
> >> I have installed a wireless usb adapter. Everything is installed
> >> correctly.
> >> It comes up with no errors in the device manager. But I still can't get a
> >> "wireless connection" icon. I have updated all the drivers. I have read
> >> all
> >> the prior newsgroup articles and have read the KB articles. Still no
> >> answer.
> >> Can anybody give me an idea of what is going on? I have service pack 2.

=?Utf-8?B?Qm9zaGll?=

The adapter shows up in "Device Manager" and shows as working.
It does not show up under the "Network Connections".
I have uninstalled and reinstalled the device but no help. The adapter
light is on but the connection light is flashing showing no connection.
Nothing seems to help.

I emailed support to see what the say and will post the results for anyone
that is curious.

"WLW" wrote:

> > The article is KB 829652. Any help??

> That KB article seems to be about changing logon credentials. ???
>
> Have you looked at KB 313242 - How to troubleshoot wireless network
> connections in Windows XP
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313242
>
> --
> William L. Whipple
> WWW.EZine.Com
>

> "Boshie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I too have the same problem. No Wireless connection icon in the network
> > connections folder. I found a an article in support that addresses the
> > issue
> > and references a hotfix but have not found out how to get the hot fix.
> > The
> > article is KB 829652. Any help??
> >
> > "Herby" wrote:
> >
> >> I have installed a wireless usb adapter. Everything is installed
> >> correctly.
> >> It comes up with no errors in the device manager. But I still can't get a
> >> "wireless connection" icon. I have updated all the drivers. I have read
> >> all
> >> the prior newsgroup articles and have read the KB articles. Still no
> >> answer.
> >> Can anybody give me an idea of what is going on? I have service pack 2.

=?Utf-8?B?SGVyYnk=?=

Thank you Boshie.
I have spent countless hours with D-link tech support. My Usb adapter is
DWL-122. I have also installed and reinstalled many times. D-Link tech
support told me that it is a Windows issue. I told them that I bet there
drivers from 2003( which are the most up to date) are to old and are not
compatible with Service Pack 2. Oh they said that that's not the problem,
Its a windows problem. The Adapter works fine on my Win 2k laptop.
Hopefully your email will shed some light.

"Boshie" wrote:

> The adapter shows up in "Device Manager" and shows as working.
> It does not show up under the "Network Connections".
> I have uninstalled and reinstalled the device but no help. The adapter
> light is on but the connection light is flashing showing no connection.
> Nothing seems to help.
>
> I emailed support to see what the say and will post the results for anyone
> that is curious.
>
> "WLW" wrote:
>
> > > The article is KB 829652. Any help??

> > That KB article seems to be about changing logon credentials. ???
> >
> > Have you looked at KB 313242 - How to troubleshoot wireless network
> > connections in Windows XP
> >
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313242
> >
> > --
> > William L. Whipple
> > WWW.EZine.Com
> >

> > "Boshie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > >I too have the same problem. No Wireless connection icon in the network
> > > connections folder. I found a an article in support that addresses the
> > > issue
> > > and references a hotfix but have not found out how to get the hot fix.
> > > The
> > > article is KB 829652. Any help??

WLW

The best possibilities would probably be that the Interface Adapter Driver
does not completely support Windows Wireless Zero Configuration, or that
your TCP/IP stack is corrupted.

If it doesn't support WinWZC see the steps outlined in KB 313242
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313242
Read the whole article, it covers a lot of things.

If the stack is corrupted see the steps in KB 299357
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357
--
William L. Whipple
WWW.EZine.Com

"Herby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Yes I checked the all the KB articles. No joy.
> "WLW" wrote:
>
>> > The article is KB 829652. Any help??

>> That KB article seems to be about changing logon credentials. ???
>>
>> Have you looked at KB 313242 - How to troubleshoot wireless network
>> connections in Windows XP
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313242
>>
>> --
>> William L. Whipple
>> WWW.EZine.Com
>>

>> "Boshie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I too have the same problem. No Wireless connection icon in the network
>> > connections folder. I found a an article in support that addresses the
>> > issue
>> > and references a hotfix but have not found out how to get the hot fix.
>> > The
>> > article is KB 829652. Any help??

=?Utf-8?B?Qm9zaGll?=

I am also running a DWL-122 USB adpater. I also have the same adapter on a
second machine that is working correctly. The only difference is the one
that is not working is XP-Pro and the one that does work is XP-Home. I agree
it is a windows issue and should have paid closer attention to when it quit
so I new what changes were made. It is in my sons room.

I use a D-Link DI-514 Router.

The funny thing is the icon disappered long before the adpater quit working.
I recently changed my WEP key and that is when it quit working. I went to
change the Key on the machine with no icon and couldn't because the icon is
gone. I changed the key back thinking it would work but NOPE! Gone for good.