Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Error with win32com client on windows 2003 server

Error with win32com client on windows 2003 server

SPJ

04-18-2008
Sorry, forgot to mention Subject in my earlier post, hence reposting.
------------
I am writing a script which need's to convert an excel file to csv (text) format. For that I am using the following code:

excel = win32com.client.Dispatch("Excel.Application","Quit ")
workbook = excel.Workbooks.Open(xlsfile)
workbook.SaveAs(csvfile, FileFormat=24) # 24 represents xlCSVMSDOS
workbook.Close(False)
excel.Quit()

I did not have any problem running this script on a windows xp machine with python 2.5.2 and windows extensions. But I get the following error when I run the same script on a windows 2003 server with the same python and windows extension installation:

excel = win32com.client.Dispatch("Excel.Application","Quit ")
File "D:\Python25\Lib\site-packages\win32com\client\__init__.py", line 95, in Dispatch
dispatch, userName = dynamic._GetGoodDispatchAndUserName(dispatch,userN ame,clsctx)
File "D:\Python25\lib\site-packages\win32com\client\dynamic.py", line 98, in _GetGoodDispatchAndUserName
return (_GetGoodDispatch(IDispatch, clsctx), userName)
File "D:\Python25\lib\site-packages\win32com\client\dynamic.py", line 78, in _GetGoodDispatch
IDispatch = pythoncom.CoCreateInstance(IDispatch, None, clsctx, pythoncom.IID_IDispatch)
com_error: (-2147221005, 'Invalid class string', None, None)

I verified that installation is same. Any idea's as to what might be the problem? One thing I have noticed though is I can't see Microsoft office 11.0 object library when I do combrowse on windows 2003 server. I also to tried to reinstall python and windows extension. But still no luck.

I would appreciate if anyone can guide me as to why this is happening and how to resolve this.

Thanks,
SPJ

__________________________________________________ __________________________________
Be a better friend, newshound, and
know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now. http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i...Dypao8Wcj9tAcJ

Mike Driscoll

04-18-2008
On Apr 18, 3:12 pm, SPJ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Sorry, forgot to mention Subject in my earlier post, hence reposting.
> ------------
> I am writing a script which need's to convert an excel file to csv (text) format. For that I am using the following code:
>
> excel = win32com.client.Dispatch("Excel.Application","Quit ")
> workbook = excel.Workbooks.Open(xlsfile)
> workbook.SaveAs(csvfile, FileFormat=24) # 24 represents xlCSVMSDOS
> workbook.Close(False)
> excel.Quit()
>
> I did not have any problem running this script on a windows xp machine with python 2.5.2 and windows extensions. But I get the following error when I run the same script on a windows 2003 server with the same python and windows extension installation:
>
> excel = win32com.client.Dispatch("Excel.Application","Quit ")
> File "D:\Python25\Lib\site-packages\win32com\client\__init__.py", line 95, in Dispatch
> dispatch, userName = dynamic._GetGoodDispatchAndUserName(dispatch,userN ame,clsctx)
> File "D:\Python25\lib\site-packages\win32com\client\dynamic.py", line 98, in _GetGoodDispatchAndUserName
> return (_GetGoodDispatch(IDispatch, clsctx), userName)
> File "D:\Python25\lib\site-packages\win32com\client\dynamic.py", line 78, in _GetGoodDispatch
> IDispatch = pythoncom.CoCreateInstance(IDispatch, None, clsctx, pythoncom.IID_IDispatch)
> com_error: (-2147221005, 'Invalid class string', None, None)
>
> I verified that installation is same. Any idea's as to what might be the problem? One thing I have noticed though is I can't see Microsoft office 11.0 object library when I do combrowse on windows 2003 server. I also to tried to reinstall python and windows extension. But still no luck.
>
> I would appreciate if anyone can guide me as to why this is happening and how to resolve this.
>
> Thanks,
> SPJ
>
> __________________________________________________ __________________________________
> Be a better friend, newshound, and
> know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now. http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i...Dypao8Wcj9tAcJ

I would recommend that you re-post to the PyWin32 user's group. They
know the low-down on this stuff.

You can find them here: http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/python-win32

However, if you cannot access the object library, than that's probably
the problem. I've no idea how to resolve that though. The gurus on the
group linked above would likely know however.

Mike