Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Python plugin for Firefox

Python plugin for Firefox

zelegolas

Hi,

It's may be a stupid question but do you if someone tried to create a
python plugin for firefox?
If you know an Open Source project let me know...

Thanks

Steve Holden

zelegolas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It's may be a stupid question but do you if someone tried to create a
> python plugin for firefox?
> If you know an Open Source project let me know...
>
> Thanks

Look for references to Mark Hammond's PyCon keynote and the work he's
been doing with the Mozilla team.

regards
Steve
--
Steve Holden +1 571 484 6266 +1 800 494 3119

Todd Whiteman

zelegolas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It's may be a stupid question but do you if someone tried to create a
> python plugin for firefox?
> If you know an Open Source project let me know...
>
> Thanks

This was asked just recently on the list (included responses below):

Joe P. Cool wrote:
> > In 2005 I heard of plans to add Python as a second language to the
> > Gecko engine. Is this still true? Or has this plan been abandoned?

You can use Python inside of Mozilla (Gecko) based applications now,
such as Firefox/Thunderbird/Komodo Edit/XulRunner which communicate
through the Mozilla XPCOM architecture.

There are builds of PyXPCOM (Python XPCOM) that can be downloaded and
easily installed through the xpi extension mechanism, see:
http://pyxpcomext.mozdev.org/

The Mozilla 1.9 branch (Gecko 1.9) also contains the hooks necessary to
be able to use Python as a script handler, instead of having to use
JavaScript. This is commonly referred to as PyDOM.

To get and use PyXPCOM (Mozilla 1.8 and Mozilla 1.9):
* install the above extension
* or make your own build of the Mozilla application

To get and use PyDOM (Mozilla 1.9):
* you'll need to make your own build of the Mozilla application

I'm the one working on the PyXPCOM extension, which I am hoping will
eventually contain the PyDOM module as well (once I get around to making
new Mozilla builds with this enabled).

Cheers,
Todd