Velocity Reviews > General Computer Discussion > Software > Firefox Firetune

Firefox Firetune

XhArD XhArD is offline
Senior Member
Location: Queensland, Australia

Found a link to this thing called Firetune for anyone who uses Firefox.
http://www.totalidea.com/freestuff4.htm
Someone on the forum that I found the link on said:
"I used this program for a week. It speed up some websites, but made others go slower, or not load at all for some reason. It works by opening about 30 connections to the web server which proberbly isn't too good on their end (or yours)."
Ive started using it, and it works fine. Every webpage I've gone to so far with this installed has been loaded almost instantly. Haven't found any that load slower yet, but I'm sure I will eventually. Anyone who uses Firefox should definitely download this program It's easy to set up aswell, once you install and run it, you choose your pc/connection combination, eg. Fast Computer (1.5Ghz+)/Fast Connection(DSL+) Press Tune, and it's all good
EDIT: I notice firetune was mentioned in the "best list of free software you will ever see" topic, but only briefly. no links, no info, so all that was missing is here

The Modfather The Modfather is offline
Senior Member
The Modfather's Avatar

I used it, it sped me up considerably. I also did some manual tuning in firefox a few months ago that improved things too. I wish I had the darned text file that I had then to show you what changes to make.

XhArD XhArD is offline
Senior Member
Location: Queensland, Australia

that wasnt the user.js trick was it?

The Modfather The Modfather is offline
Senior Member
The Modfather's Avatar

No... Just some changes you make in the FF control settings.

unholy unholy is offline
Senior Member
Location: Australia

i remember the one using config thingy...

The Modfather The Modfather is offline
Senior Member
The Modfather's Avatar

Right, config thingy, that's the technical term, I forgot.

unholy unholy is offline
Senior Member
Location: Australia

"about:config" is the techinal term i forget the rest of it though just put it in the url bar and hit enter
i think it has something to do with HTTP.Pipelineing

The Modfather The Modfather is offline
Senior Member
The Modfather's Avatar

Yep, here's the details.
Scroll down and look for the following entries: network.http.pipelining network.http.proxy.pipelining network.http.pipelining.maxrequests
Normally the browser will make one request to a web page at a time. When you enable pipelining it will make several at once, which really speeds up page loading.
Alter the entries as follows: Set "network.http.pipelining" to "true" Set "network.http.proxy.pipelining" to "true" Set "network.http.pipelining.maxrequests" to some number like 30. This means it will make 30 requests at once.
Lastly right-click anywhere and select New-> Integer. Name it "nglayout.initialpaint.delay" and set its value to "0". This value is the amount of time the browser waits before it acts on information it receives. If you're using a broadband connection you'll load pages MUCH faster now!

XhArD XhArD is offline
Senior Member
Location: Queensland, Australia

Thanks for the tips i'll have to have a fiddle with the settings soon

The Modfather The Modfather is offline
Senior Member
The Modfather's Avatar

Firetune did more to speed it up than those tweaks did for me though.

Fasterfox or Firetune? The Waker Firefox 2 12-12-2005 03:20 PM
Firefox / Firetune R Hickey Firefox 7 12-03-2005 02:19 AM
FireTune Wygtya Firefox 2 08-16-2005 06:51 PM
FireTune version #1 mike555 Firefox 0 04-07-2005 01:03 AM