Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Re: K.N. King's Second Edition

Re: K.N. King's Second Edition

s0suk3@gmail.com

On Apr 30, 10:27 pm, Bob Nelson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Right next to K&R2 on my bookshelf is _C Programming: A Modern Approach_ by
> Professor K.N. King. The second edition of this book is now available. See
> this URL for details:
>
> http://knking.com/books/c2/
>
> I don't think I'm alone among c.l.c. participants in recommending this book
> (based upon the very good first edition).

I have ordered both K&R 2 and the 2nd edition of C Programming: A
Modern Approach; they should be arriving in a few days. I'm not a
total novice programmer but I am totally new to C. Which one should I
learn first?

Robert Gamble

On May 1, 4:40 am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Apr 30, 10:27 pm, Bob Nelson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Right next to K&R2 on my bookshelf is _C Programming: A Modern Approach_ by
> > Professor K.N. King. The second edition of this book is now available. See
> > this URL for details:

> >http://knking.com/books/c2/

> > I don't think I'm alone among c.l.c. participants in recommending this book
> > (based upon the very good first edition).

> I have ordered both K&R 2 and the 2nd edition of C Programming: A
> Modern Approach; they should be arriving in a few days. I'm not a
> total novice programmer but I am totally new to C. Which one should I
> learn first?

You really can't go wrong either way. K&R may get you writing
programs faster as the book is one third the size of CPMA, if you have
programming experience and work well with terse texts you may want to
start with it. CPMA is longer but it covers C99, discusses the entire
C library, is easier to understand, and provides and wider and deeper
coverage of the language. I would probably start with K&R and see how
it works for you, if it's too hard to follow, go with CMPA instead.
If you make it through K&R you will still be able to learn quite a bit
from CPMA, probably not so much the other way around but despite the
order I would strongly suggest reading both in their entireties.

--
Robert Gamble