Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Help with pointers and absolute memory addresses

Help with pointers and absolute memory addresses

Ian Collins

cr88192 wrote:

> actually, I would have also liked it had existing 64 bit OS's come up with
> the idea of running drivers in Ring1 or Ring2 connected to a 32-bit stub
> kernel, so that 32-bit drivers would still work in long mode...
>
> or, also, a 64-bit "monitor" kernel, with a 32-bit "main" kernel and
> drivers, and a mix of 32 bit and 64 bit processes. most of the OS would
> remain 32-bit, but then we can start adding 64 bit stuff...

Considering (at least in the *nix wold) how quickly drivers have been
ported to 64 bit, that would have been wasted effort.

Throw someone a life-line, they'll cling on to it, make them swim and
they'll swim!

--
Ian Collins.

cr88192

"Ian Collins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> cr88192 wrote:
>>
>> actually, I would have also liked it had existing 64 bit OS's come up
>> with
>> the idea of running drivers in Ring1 or Ring2 connected to a 32-bit stub
>> kernel, so that 32-bit drivers would still work in long mode...
>>
>> or, also, a 64-bit "monitor" kernel, with a 32-bit "main" kernel and
>> drivers, and a mix of 32 bit and 64 bit processes. most of the OS would
>> remain 32-bit, but then we can start adding 64 bit stuff...
>>

> Considering (at least in the *nix wold) how quickly drivers have been
> ported to 64 bit, that would have been wasted effort.
>
> Throw someone a life-line, they'll cling on to it, make them swim and
> they'll swim!

we still have problems in windows land, and when forced to rely on
crufted-over windows drivers...