Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > lcc-win32 conformance question

lcc-win32 conformance question

Keith Thompson

> On Apr 27, 5:20 am, Keith Thompson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

[...]
>> For example, since the identifier __attribute__ is reserved to the
>> implementation, no strictly conforming program may use it; therefore,
>> a conforming implementation may provide an extension that affects only
>> programs that use the identifier __attribute__.

> A program which uses // comments isn't strictly conforming
> either, so a conforming implementation may provide an extension...

Exactly. *But* that doesn't relieve the implementation of its
obligation to diagnose syntax errors.

>> But must the implementation still issue a diagnostic if the use of an
>> extension violates a constraint or syntax rule? In my opinion, the
>> answer is yes; the standard permits extensions, but that doesn't
>> override the requirement to issue a diagnostic. Doug Gwyn, a member
>> of the C standard committee, has expressed the same opinion over on
>> comp.std.c.

> Sounds right, and it doesn't explain why __attribute__ may get
> away without a warning

The C standard conformance police haven't caught up with them yet,
probably because they don't exist.

Nokia

Hans Schneider

teapot schrieb:

> If I compile this program
>
> int main(void)
> {
> return 0; // foo bar baz
> }

That is no useful comment.

According to article <dsdahk$sq9$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"foo" and "bar" are not standardisiert.

> with
>
> "lc -A -ansi89 foo.c"

Where is -ansi89 described?

I have lcc-win32 version 3.8 and it says only what -ansic is
but not -ansi89.

Why can you know it exists?

I think -ansi89 is not official.

> (minus the quotes), no diagnostic is produced; but isn't this style of
> comment illegal in C89 and thus this piece of code should be invalid?
>
> How standards conformant is (unnamed compiler)?

Peter Nilsson

Richard Heathfield wrote:
> ... the appearance of a // in a C90 program is either:
>
> (a) part of a string literal " like // this "; or

(aa) character constant like '//'; or
(ab) token sequence to be stringised, like...

#define STR(x) #x
puts(STR(//));

; or

> (b) part of a comment /* like // this */; or
> (c) a division followed immediately by a comment like//*this*/that; or

(e) ignored conditional block like...

#if 0
What do you mean // is not valid?
#endif

; or

> (d) a syntax error.
>
> I think that covers all the possibilities.

It can appear in a #include directive...

#include <//samba/usr/include/header.h>

.... though that probably excludes it from being a 'C90' program.
What's your view on it appearing in a #error directive?

--
Peter

Peter Nilsson

Oops, I didn't mean to send previous reply after reading Keith's.

Peter Nilsson wrote:
> Richard Heathfield wrote:
> > ... the appearance of a // in a C90 program is either:
> >
> > (a) part of a string literal " like // this "; or

> (aa) character constant like '//'; or

<snip>

--
Peter