Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Re: lint still useful?

Re: lint still useful?

user923005

On Apr 11, 5:27*am, "copx" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I saw one here posting the output of a lint tool in a thread, and that made
> me wonder whether using such tools are still useful.

They are still useful. I lint all of my work.

> I mean, modern compilers are lint tools themselves, the list of warnings GCC
> can produce is almost endless for example. I heard that lint was used in the
> past mainly because C compilers provided only minimal sanity checks back
> then.

Modern compilers have better error checking than before. But Lint is
better.

> Do you use a lint tool? If yes, which one?

Splint for C (it's free):
http://www.splint.org/

PC-Lint for C and C++ on a PC (it's commercial):
http://www.gimpel.com/

And Flexelint for C and C++ on non-PC platforms (same location as PC-
Lint).

I also use bounds checkers and design verification tools and case
tools and anything else I can get my hands on.
They make you look a lot smarter than you are by finding things you
are too dull to notice.

jaysome

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 11:58:12 -0700, user923005 wrote:

> On Apr 11, 5:27*am, "copx" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I saw one here posting the output of a lint tool in a thread, and that
>> made me wonder whether using such tools are still useful.

> They are still useful. I lint all of my work.

As should everyone.

>> I mean, modern compilers are lint tools themselves, the list of
>> warnings GCC can produce is almost endless for example. I heard that
>> lint was used in the past mainly because C compilers provided only
>> minimal sanity checks back then.

> Modern compilers have better error checking than before. But Lint is
> better.
>
>> Do you use a lint tool? If yes, which one?

> Splint for C (it's free):
> http://www.splint.org/

Fair advice.
(Note that splint does not work with C++ code).

> PC-Lint for C and C++ on a PC (it's commercial): http://www.gimpel.com/

Excellent advice.

> And Flexelint for C and C++ on non-PC platforms (same location as PC-
> Lint).

Excellent advice.

> I also use bounds checkers and design verification tools and case tools
> and anything else I can get my hands on. They make you look a lot
> smarter than you are by finding things you are too dull to notice.

Excellent advice.

The more compilers and tools you can use on your code the better, IMHO.

--
jay

http://www.microsoft.com/express/
http://www.ubuntu.com/
http://www.parasoft.com/
http://www.gimpel.com/
http://www.coverity.com/
http://www.bullseye.com/
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Gcov.html
http://www.splint.org/

PC-Lint complains about this code, but I don't know what's wrong withit (PC-Lint error #145) David Sudolcan C Programming 7 04-04-2011 02:58 AM
css 'lint' Captain Dondo HTML 1 06-24-2005 10:40 PM
Re: LF Java Lint tools gimme_this_gimme_that@yahoo.com Java 0 01-15-2005 05:45 AM
Re: LF Java Lint tools Stefan Reich Java 0 01-11-2005 02:30 AM
Target VM Microsoft? or Java Lint to check for MS VM compatibility? Vincent Cate Java 14 12-22-2003 04:59 PM

Advertisments