Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > What are the differences in EOF & FEOF in the

What are the differences in EOF & FEOF in the

context of a C program reading from a file?

I know its end of file but ...not sure?

Peter Nilsson

2005 wrote:
> context of a C program reading from a file?

Please don't ask your real question in the subject line.

FEOF is not mentioned in the C standard.

> I know its end of file but ...not sure?

Get yourself a decent C text book. C is not a good
language to learn by asking 20 (000) questions.

--
Peter

On Apr 7, 11:06 pm, Peter Nilsson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> 2005 wrote:
> > context of a C program reading from a file?

> Please don't ask your real question in the subject line.
>
> FEOF is not mentioned in the C standard.
>
> > I know its end of file but ...not sure?

> Get yourself a decent C text book. C is not a good
> language to learn by asking 20 (000) questions.
>
> --
> Peter

I do have several books - I saw a code online with EOF when reading
from a file.
That's why

I read the book too but would like a crisp answer

I appreciate a tip.

On Apr 7, 11:47 pm, Richard Heathfield <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> 2005 said:
>
> <snip>
>
> > I do have several books - I saw a code online with EOF when reading
> > from a file.
> > That's why

> > I read the book too but would like a crisp answer

> K&R2 provides a crisp answer on page 16.

I have K&R - not sure if there had been a "2"

EOF - a distinctive value when there is no more input, a value that
cannot be confused with any real character. This value is called
EOF, for ``end of file''.
FILE *in = fopen("myfile.txt", "r"); // Open myfile.txt read-only
while((myChar=fgetc(in)) != EOF) {
---------
---

feof is to distinguish between cases where a stream operation has
reached the end of a file and cases where the "EOF" (End Of File)
error message has simply been returned as a default error message,
without the end of the file actually being reached.

while(!feof(my_file)) {
/* [...End of file not reached, do something with it...] */
}
-----
--

So what is the difference when it comes to application?

Philip Potter

2005 wrote:
> I have K&R - not sure if there had been a "2"
>
> EOF - a distinctive value when there is no more input, a value that
> cannot be confused with any real character. This value is called
> EOF, for ``end of file''.
> FILE *in = fopen("myfile.txt", "r"); // Open myfile.txt read-only
> while((myChar=fgetc(in)) != EOF) {
> ---------
> ---
>
> feof is to distinguish between cases where a stream operation has
> reached the end of a file and cases where the "EOF" (End Of File)
> error message has simply been returned as a default error message,
> without the end of the file actually being reached.
>
> while(!feof(my_file)) {
> /* [...End of file not reached, do something with it...] */
> }
> -----
> --
>
> So what is the difference when it comes to application?

What do *you* think the difference is? Post your answer here, and we
will tell you if you are right or not, and if you are wrong, we will
tell you where your mistake is.

I suggest this for two reasons:

1) It is *much* more effective to learn by doing than by being lectured.
2) It's difficult to see which bit is confusing you. You have already
asked the difference between feof() and EOF, and Richard gave you this
answer. If you just ask the same question again, we don't know how to
make it any clearer.

Philip

Keith Thompson

2005 <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> On Apr 7, 11:47 pm, Richard Heathfield <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> 2005 said:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> > I do have several books - I saw a code online with EOF when reading
>> > from a file.
>> > That's why

>> > I read the book too but would like a crisp answer

>> K&R2 provides a crisp answer on page 16.
>>

> I have K&R - not sure if there had been a "2"

K&R2 is the second edition. The first edition is mostly of historical
interest; it describes a largely obsolete version of the language. If
you have the first edition, invest in a copy of the second.

> EOF

[snip]

> feof is to

[snip]

> So what is the difference when it comes to application?

The comp.lang.c FAQ is at http://www.c-faq.com. Read section 12.
Then read the rest of it.

Nokia

David Thompson

On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 00:52:07 -0700, Keith Thompson <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> 2005 <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> > I have K&R - not sure if there had been a "2"

> K&R2 is the second edition. The first edition is mostly of historical
> interest; it describes a largely obsolete version of the language. If
> you have the first edition, invest in a copy of the second.

Which you might be able to finance by selling K&R1 to a collector. <G>

And get the errata at http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/cbook/2ediffs.html