Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Software tools in Pascal: did I make a mistake?

Software tools in Pascal: did I make a mistake?

noagbodjivictor@gmail.com

Hello,

a while ago, someone asked a question about software engineering in C,
and someone else proposed Software tools in Pascal of Kernighan. And
pointed that it was not about Pascal at all. I went to Amazon, and the
comments also say the same thing.

Well I just got my order of the book; it came into my mail box today,
and the preface suggests a "Standard Pascal compiler." Oh no! Pascal
doesn't even exist nowadays...

What's in this book that a C programmer can learn? How is it related
to C.
Now that I have it, I must do something with it...

Thanks

Jean-Marc Bourguet

> Hello,
>
> a while ago, someone asked a question about software engineering in C,
> and someone else proposed Software tools in Pascal of Kernighan. And
> pointed that it was not about Pascal at all. I went to Amazon, and the
> comments also say the same thing.
>
> Well I just got my order of the book; it came into my mail box today, and
> the preface suggests a "Standard Pascal compiler." Oh no! Pascal doesn't
> even exist nowadays...

Delphi seems still alive; out of my environment but still alive.

> What's in this book that a C programmer can learn? How is it related
> to C.
> Now that I have it, I must do something with it...

Reading it? It's a good book IMHO. A rare book where you can see how
programs evolves instead of presenting the result.

The relationship with C? I've read C code which looked less like C that
the Pascal code in that book. As the saying says that a FORTRAN programmer
can program in FORTRAN with every language, that book is a proof that C
programmers can program in C with Pascal.

Yours,

--
Jean-Marc

CBFalconer

"(E-Mail Removed)" wrote:

> a while ago, someone asked a question about software engineering
> in C, and someone else proposed Software tools in Pascal of
> Kernighan. And pointed that it was not about Pascal at all. I
> went to Amazon, and the comments also say the same thing.
>
> Well I just got my order of the book; it came into my mail box
> today, and the preface suggests a "Standard Pascal compiler." Oh
> no! Pascal doesn't even exist nowadays...
>
> What's in this book that a C programmer can learn? How is it
> related to C. Now that I have it, I must do something with it...

Try comp.lang.pascal.ansi-iso. Cross-posted and f'ups set.

Try the download section.

Friedrich Dominicus

> Well I just got my order of the book; it came into my mail box today,
> and the preface suggests a "Standard Pascal compiler." Oh no! Pascal
> doesn't even exist nowadays...

Not true. And at least one is quite alive
http://www.freepascal.org/

Regards
Friedrich

--
Please remove just-for-news- to reply via e-mail.

noagbodjivictor@gmail.com

Thanks all. Just got freepascal. I hope this book will help me write
better C too.