Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > cable modem to router

cable modem to router

Travis

I have a Motorola SurfBoard sb5101 cable modem, and I'm wondering if
it's possible to buy a non-cable router (as the site I'm buying from
only has wired cable routers) that is wireless.

Could I run the ethernet cable from the modem to the router to the
main in point? I have an existing Telus ADSL router and it didn't work
properly when I tried that (then again, I plugged it in to the
computer port, as the only other port was an ADSL line). I am not
familiar with these types of routers and if they accept ethernet
sources as the main connection.

jameshanley39@yahoo.co.uk

On 15 Apr, 15:58, Travis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have a Motorola SurfBoard sb5101 cable modem, and I'm wondering if
> it's possible to buy a non-cable router (as the site I'm buying from
> only has wired cable routers) that is wireless.
>
> Could I run the ethernet cable from the modem to the router to the
> main in point? I have an existing Telus ADSL router and it didn't work
> properly when I tried that (then again, I plugged it in to the
> computer port, as the only other port was an ADSL line). I am not
> familiar with these types of routers and if they accept ethernet
> sources as the main connection.

Sounds like the NAT Routers you have seen are ADSL NAT Routers - NAT
Routers with an RJ11 US style telephone socket on them, i.e. with a
modem in them. (in the UK, those with BT lines at least, have a cable
with RJ11 on one side and BT plug on the other, BT plug goes into the
wall)

You might have to use a type of NAT Router without that modem in
there.
Those ones, instead of that RJ11 socket, what you call the ADSL
port.
Instead of that, they have an Ethernet Socket, but it is a different
colour and it is labelled WAN. or MODEM.

I am not sure, but I don`t think your NAT Router with ADSL port will
do it.
If you plug it into a regular ethernet port on there, which are the
only ethernet ports it has. Then I think that is just connecting them
to a network switch.

You might be able to use Internet Connection Sharing.. That is where
one computer is effecitvely the NAT Router. BUt I think that might
need an ethernet card in there with a few ethernet ports. And then I
am not sure about plugging the modem in..

I know you`d be OK if you had a NAT Router without a Modem in there.
But other than that.. I am not sure if you can have a few computers
online without that..

Travis

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Product...X6233(ME).aspx

I was looking at that router, as my cable modem has an ethernet cable
out, which I then connect to my computer. I am not familiar with that
type of router (I am pretty sure that d-link does not have a modem),
so I am able to connect the ethernet cable into that one, right?
Otherwise, it wouldn't have any way to get the connection. I primarily
need it for wireless networking to the new system I will be putting in
a different room.

jameshanley39@yahoo.co.uk

On 16 Apr, 00:40, Travis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> http://www.memoryexpress.com/Product...X6233(ME).aspx
>
> I was looking at *that router, as my cable modem has an ethernet cable
> out, which I then connect to my computer. I am not familiar with that
> type of router (I am pretty sure that d-link does not have a modem),

yep

> so I am able to connect the ethernet cable into that one, right?

yep

> Otherwise, it wouldn't have any way to get the connection.

if you were just doing this for one computer, then could plug a
wireless switch in and just use one port. But no need..

> I primarily
> need it for wireless networking to the new system I will be putting in
> a different room.

I actually have not had much experience - at home - to play with at my
leisure - with wireless or with the type of router with no modem in
it.. But I have seen them and set them up for other people without
problems!

I am absolutely sure the dlink one does not have a modem. Sure enough
to say it doesn`t! 100% sure!
The only way I could be more sure is if I had it!

There are many indications to me that the Dlink router does not have a
modem..
- Of NAT Routers available, DSL ones have a modem. There are no cable
routers that I have seen. So, since this is not a DSL Router. It is a
plain Router no dsl modem. and of course no cable modem built in.
The fact that it is not advertised as an ADSL modem, and that it is
clearly not a cable modem (cable modems are prob ISP specific anyway),
that indicates that it is a plain router.
But still, better to look at the specification and manual to check
- The link you gave doesn`t seem to indicate anything to me in the
spec it gives
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Product...X6233(ME).aspx
But this one does
The dlink site was a bit difficult to browse, but
googling DI 524 manual
brought up these PDFs
http://www.quadro.net/dlink%20524.pdf
ftp://ftp.dlink.co.uk/di_broadband_g...di-524_qig.pdf

nice to see dlink has an FTP site you can download manuals from!

At that ftp dlink PDF, I can see pictures of the back of it . And I
see the different coloured ethernet port that is labelled WAN..
And if one needed any more proof. The instructions talk about plugging
your cable or DSL modem in there.

The link on the quadro site has a picture of the back..
says "The Auto MDI/MDIX WAN port is the connection for the ethernet
cable to the cable or DSL modem"
So there you go..

And btw, googling MDI/MDIX.
Apparently "As a rule, end stations (i.e., PCs or workstations) and
routers use an MDI interface, hubs and switches use MDIX interfaces"

I don`t really know about that... But computers and NAT
routers(routers typically with hubs or switches built into them)
connect with a straight-through. So presumably their interfaces are
unlike..(so a straight-through cable from one to the other will
connect Transmit to receive, and receive to transmit).
And if connecting computer to computer, one uses a cross-over, (the
interfaces must be alike).
I don`t know which you should use to connect between cable modem and
computer.. I tend to have both just in case anyway. I would take a
lucky guess and try straight-through.
But you don`t need to worry about whether to use straight-through or
crossover, since it says
"Auto MDI/MDIX ports automatically sense the cable type .."
And the WAN port is labelled as Auto MDI/MDIX too.

By the way..
if you had a Wired plain router.. (no ADSL modem built in. But instead
a socket for an ADSL or Cable modem). Then you could add a Wireless
access point - which is a wireless switch.
Technically, all a wireless router is, is a wireless NAT Router, which
is a NAT router with a wireless switch.
Similar to how a Wired NAT router is a NAT Router with a (wired)
switch.

The wireless aspect is only between computer and router. or rather,
computer and switch.. (NAT Router has switch built in. In this case, a
wireless switch)

jameshanley39@yahoo.co.uk

On 16 Apr, 01:36, "(E-Mail Removed)"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 16 Apr, 00:40, Travis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >http://www.memoryexpress.com/Product...X6233(ME).aspx

<snip>
so it looks appropriate in function ..
whether it is good is another matter.

BTW, on a related note-
an interesting toy..
http://support.dlink.com/emulators/di524/h_wizard.html

this is useful for tech support on it ..

and perhaps a bit useful for you to just look at what the web
interface is like.

of course, if it was a really bad interface then they would be too
ashamed to have a simulations of it!

one thing people are saying about it - googling it - is
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...fm/412352.html
cannot disable the wireless!!!!!
last comment in that thread is a suggestion to chop off or remove the
aerial!

one thing I have done to find a good router, was call a reliable ISP
and see which ones they recommend. The UK ISP, Zen, sell ones they
find reliable.. I called their tech support , they were well aware of
issues with routers, overheating for example.. Model numbers can be
different UK-US though. and Zen are UK..