Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Windows Installer runs everytime the PC boots

Windows Installer runs everytime the PC boots

Jeff Strickland

I have an HP multi-function thingymabob, and the software never finished
the install of Photo Gallery and Fax.

The multi-function thingy does not have a phone line attached, so there is
no fax and never will be. The photo gallery seems to work fully, so I don't
know what the installer is trying to do.

I'd like to stop the installer from ever looking at these modules, but I
don't know how to do that. I'm sure I have to go into the Registry, and I
know the Registry is a place to serious harm to the rest of the stuff. The
law of unintended consequence is that if I can screw jit up, I will.

What should I do to the Registry to halt the installer?

PS
Win XP Home, SP2.

PS2
The HP installation CD is not the answer, I already tried. I completely
uninstalled the multi-function whatever-it-is and removed the software and
drivers, then installed again from scratch. The Fax module fails because it
does not find the dial tone that is not there and never will be. I do not
recall what the photo module wants, but it seems to work with what it
already has, and the installer wants the CD with every start up, so whatever
it wants is not provided on any permanant basis even though the application
seems to work right.

pickled

This is occurs with programs and drivers from all vendors because of some
miswriting of the Windows registry.
It is probably too late to go back to a point prior to the first time you
installed the driver in System Restore but you can see if there are back-ups
that old.
I have a notebook that did the same thing every time I started Word 2003, it
did not resolve with uninstall/reinstall of the program, but curiously
recently disappeared after an XP update.
Go figure.
Don't you think you should contact HP, which has been reasonably responsive
to Email support in my past experience, instead of this newsgroup?

Jeff Strickland

"pickled" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%k5Mj.17813$%(E-Mail Removed)...
> This is occurs with programs and drivers from all vendors because of some
> miswriting of the Windows registry.
> It is probably too late to go back to a point prior to the first time you
> installed the driver in System Restore but you can see if there are
> back-ups that old.
> I have a notebook that did the same thing every time I started Word 2003,
> it did not resolve with uninstall/reinstall of the program, but curiously
> recently disappeared after an XP update.
> Go figure.
> Don't you think you should contact HP, which has been reasonably
> responsive to Email support in my past experience, instead of this
> newsgroup?

I have not had the warm fuzzy experience with HP as you have had.

I am hoping that the newsgroup will know where the Installer module lives
within the Registry so I can find the specific instances that are invoking
installation(s) and delete them.

Fred

"Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> "pickled" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%k5Mj.17813$%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> This is occurs with programs and drivers from all vendors because of some
>> miswriting of the Windows registry.
>> It is probably too late to go back to a point prior to the first time you
>> installed the driver in System Restore but you can see if there are
>> back-ups that old.
>> I have a notebook that did the same thing every time I started Word 2003,
>> it did not resolve with uninstall/reinstall of the program, but curiously
>> recently disappeared after an XP update.
>> Go figure.
>> Don't you think you should contact HP, which has been reasonably
>> responsive to Email support in my past experience, instead of this
>> newsgroup?
>>

> I have not had the warm fuzzy experience with HP as you have had.
>
> I am hoping that the newsgroup will know where the Installer module lives
> within the Registry so I can find the specific instances that are invoking
> installation(s) and delete them.

Try using the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/290301

Jeff Strickland

I thunk of that already.

I can't seem to choose which parts of the multi-function thing-a-ma-bob I
want. It assumes I want all of them since I bought the machine.

I can't uninstall the fax because it is not installed yet. It makes me want
to dust off my high-powered rifle and go find a clock tower ...

news(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Since the software never finished loading, uninstall the software for the
> "HP multi-function thingymabob" and reboot.
> If you just want the printer part of it, just install the driver. If
> necessary, re-install sw with "the thing" hooked up, lest it finish this
> time, then uninstall the parts of it that you do not want.
>

> "Fred" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "pickled" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:%k5Mj.17813$%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>>

>>> I have not had the warm fuzzy experience with HP as you have had.
>>>
>>> I am hoping that the newsgroup will know where the Installer module
>>> lives within the Registry so I can find the specific instances that are
>>> invoking installation(s) and delete them.

>> Try using the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility
>> http://support.microsoft.com/KB/290301

Jeff Strickland

news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> If it IS the FAX installer, and you have no install options, maybe the
> simplest thing to do is to run a phone cord down the hall ( 25' costs
> about $5 at Walmart) to an RJ11 jack.

Well, that phone cord would have to run down the hall, out the door, over
the fence from the nieghbor's house to my brother-in-law's house, in the
door, and up the hall to get to the computer that has no phone line.

This might come as a surprise to you, but there are people that no longer
have a land line phone -- they rely entirely on cell service!

> If you uninstall it (exactly what model is "the multi-function
> thing-a-ma-bob"? )
> http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/...plit%2Fsupport
>
> via start-programs or Control Panel add/remove, and reboot - does it
> STILL run the installer at startup ? Or does the problem reoccur only
> after each install ? ( Meaning the uninstall at least cleans up the
> registry - use F8 and
> Bootlog.txt ) What does event log show ?

We have disconnected the machine, completely uninstalled, then started over
from Step 1. The installation includes the fax, which is not capable of
completing.

Trust me, I've done the easy stuff. I need to understand the structure of
the Registry so I can clean it up in the correct place to solve this problem
without creating new problems.

Paul

Jeff Strickland wrote:

> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> If it IS the FAX installer, and you have no install options, maybe the
>> simplest thing to do is to run a phone cord down the hall ( 25' costs
>> about $5 at Walmart) to an RJ11 jack.
>>

> Well, that phone cord would have to run down the hall, out the door,
> over the fence from the nieghbor's house to my brother-in-law's house,
> in the door, and up the hall to get to the computer that has no phone line.
>
> This might come as a surprise to you, but there are people that no
> longer have a land line phone -- they rely entirely on cell service!
>

>> If you uninstall it (exactly what model is "the multi-function
>> thing-a-ma-bob"? )
>> http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/...plit%2Fsupport
>>

>> via start-programs or Control Panel add/remove, and reboot - does it
>> STILL run the installer at startup ? Or does the problem reoccur only
>> after each install ? ( Meaning the uninstall at least cleans up the
>> registry - use F8 and
>> Bootlog.txt ) What does event log show ?
>>

> We have disconnected the machine, completely uninstalled, then started
> over from Step 1. The installation includes the fax, which is not
> capable of completing.
>
> Trust me, I've done the easy stuff. I need to understand the structure
> of the Registry so I can clean it up in the correct place to solve this
> problem without creating new problems.

What is the model number of the HP equipment ?

Paul

Jeff Strickland

"Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:fu7psp$u5u$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Jeff Strickland wrote:
>>
>> "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>> If it IS the FAX installer, and you have no install options, maybe the
>>> simplest thing to do is to run a phone cord down the hall ( 25' costs
>>> about $5 at Walmart) to an RJ11 jack.
>>>

>> Well, that phone cord would have to run down the hall, out the door, over
>> the fence from the nieghbor's house to my brother-in-law's house, in the
>> door, and up the hall to get to the computer that has no phone line.
>>
>> This might come as a surprise to you, but there are people that no longer
>> have a land line phone -- they rely entirely on cell service!
>>

>>> If you uninstall it (exactly what model is "the multi-function
>>> thing-a-ma-bob"? )
>>> http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/...plit%2Fsupport
>>>
>>> via start-programs or Control Panel add/remove, and reboot - does it
>>> STILL run the installer at startup ? Or does the problem reoccur only
>>> after each install ? ( Meaning the uninstall at least cleans up the
>>> registry - use F8 and
>>> Bootlog.txt ) What does event log show ?
>>>

>> We have disconnected the machine, completely uninstalled, then started
>> over from Step 1. The installation includes the fax, which is not capable
>> of completing.
>>
>> Trust me, I've done the easy stuff. I need to understand the structure of
>> the Registry so I can clean it up in the correct place to solve this
>> problem without creating new problems.
>>

> What is the model number of the HP equipment ?
>
> Paul

I don't recall, but I think it's a 2610.