Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > wifi newbie

wifi newbie

antony

Hi

I'd like to install a wireless network in my house. I have a machine with an
internal DSL modem that I want to use as the wifi internet "server." I have
another 2 machines that'd I'd like to be able to pick up the internet
wirelessly.

Can anyone tell me what kit I would need for this?

Many thanks
Ant

Jack

Hi

This page might help it talks about DialUp but it might be the same.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...wman_02april08.
mspx?pf=trueHi

However going this way might result in a system that is Not very stable, and
always trouble when you want to change or use new hardware.

I would get rid of the Internal DSL Modem and get an External Ethernet DSL
Modem, and then do the Wireless and Networking as most system do
(http://www.ezlan.net/~network/router.jpg).

This page has some info about DSL connections:
http://www.ezlan.net/PPPOE.html

External modem - http://www.dslmodemsdirect.com/ModemModels/5515.htm

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"antony" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
>
> I'd like to install a wireless network in my house. I have a machine with

an
> internal DSL modem that I want to use as the wifi internet "server." I

have
> another 2 machines that'd I'd like to be able to pick up the internet
> wirelessly.
>
> Can anyone tell me what kit I would need for this?
>
> Many thanks
> Ant

antony

Thanks Jack

I also have the option of using an external cable modem but this is
connected to the computer via USB as the network connector is faulty. Does
this have to be connected directly to any wifi device or can they both
connect independantly to the computer?

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
>
> This page might help it talks about DialUp but it might be the same.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...wman_02april08.
> mspx?pf=trueHi
>
> However going this way might result in a system that is Not very stable,
> and
> always trouble when you want to change or use new hardware.
>
> I would get rid of the Internal DSL Modem and get an External Ethernet DSL
> Modem, and then do the Wireless and Networking as most system do
> (http://www.ezlan.net/~network/router.jpg).
>
> This page has some info about DSL connections:
> http://www.ezlan.net/PPPOE.html
>
> External modem - http://www.dslmodemsdirect.com/ModemModels/5515.htm
>
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>

> "antony" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi
>>
>> I'd like to install a wireless network in my house. I have a machine with

> an
>> internal DSL modem that I want to use as the wifi internet "server." I

> have
>> another 2 machines that'd I'd like to be able to pick up the internet
>> wirelessly.
>>
>> Can anyone tell me what kit I would need for this?
>>
>> Many thanks
>> Ant

Jack

Hi
Unfortunately both Internal and USB DSL modems can not use straight the
Wireless Cable/DSL Routers that are available to consumers.

All of these Routers need Ethernet input in the WAN side.