Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > RF Interference with network

RF Interference with network

JoeT

OK anyone who has 2.4GHz phones knows they tend to knock the wireless cards
offline right? My question to the masses is this:

Do the newer 5GHz phones have the same effect or are they a good alternative
to the 2.4GHz phones?

Thanks in advance!

WLW

The 5Ghz phones do not affect the 802.11b and 802.11g wireless networks
which operate on 2.4Ghz.

The MAY interfere with the 802.11a wireless networks which operate on 5Ghz.

--
William L. Whipple
WWW.EZine.Com

"JoeT" <noway@today> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> OK anyone who has 2.4GHz phones knows they tend to knock the wireless
> cards offline right? My question to the masses is this:
>
> Do the newer 5GHz phones have the same effect or are they a good
> alternative to the 2.4GHz phones?
>
> Thanks in advance!

JoeT

"WLW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The 5Ghz phones do not affect the 802.11b and 802.11g wireless networks
> which operate on 2.4Ghz.
>
> The MAY interfere with the 802.11a wireless networks which operate on
> 5Ghz.
>
> --
> William L. Whipple
> WWW.EZine.Com
>

> "JoeT" <noway@today> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> OK anyone who has 2.4GHz phones knows they tend to knock the wireless
>> cards offline right? My question to the masses is this:
>>
>> Do the newer 5GHz phones have the same effect or are they a good
>> alternative to the 2.4GHz phones?
>>
>> Thanks in advance!

Thank you very much. I'd read some rather ambiguous information on the topic
that naturally left me with the same questions afterwards so I figured it
might help to ask here.

Jim Seifert [MSFT]

I've found 900mhz cordless phones to coexist very well with a/b/g wireless
networks.

newsgroup purposes only.
"JoeT" <noway@today> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> OK anyone who has 2.4GHz phones knows they tend to knock the wireless
> cards offline right? My question to the masses is this:
>
> Do the newer 5GHz phones have the same effect or are they a good
> alternative to the 2.4GHz phones?
>
> Thanks in advance!

TW

I have a 2.4ghz Uniden phone and a D-Link DI624 router and D-Link cards for
all computers on my network, and I have found that it's the PHONE that
accepts the interference, but the phone doesn't seem to cause any problems
with my network. In fact, my network causes problems with my phone instead
of the phone causing network problems.
The closer I get to the router the louder the static is on the phone.

Am I the only one experiencing this?

"Jim Seifert [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've found 900mhz cordless phones to coexist very well with a/b/g wireless
> networks.
>
> --
> Please do not send e-mail directly to this alias. This alias is for
> newsgroup purposes only.
> rights.
> "JoeT" <noway@today> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> OK anyone who has 2.4GHz phones knows they tend to knock the wireless
>> cards offline right? My question to the masses is this:
>>
>> Do the newer 5GHz phones have the same effect or are they a good
>> alternative to the 2.4GHz phones?
>>
>> Thanks in advance!

WLW

> Am I the only one experiencing this?

No, it's a common problem.

Tell the phone to switch channels. There should be a button on the phone to
make it change channels.
--
William L. Whipple
WWW.EZine.Com

"TW" <twilckenATmsnDOTcom> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a 2.4ghz Uniden phone and a D-Link DI624 router and D-Link cards for
>all computers on my network, and I have found that it's the PHONE that
>accepts the interference, but the phone doesn't seem to cause any problems
>with my network. In fact, my network causes problems with my phone instead
>of the phone causing network problems.
> The closer I get to the router the louder the static is on the phone.
>
> Am I the only one experiencing this?
>

> "Jim Seifert [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I've found 900mhz cordless phones to coexist very well with a/b/g
>> wireless networks.
>>
>> --
>> Please do not send e-mail directly to this alias. This alias is for
>> newsgroup purposes only.
>> rights.
>> "JoeT" <noway@today> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> OK anyone who has 2.4GHz phones knows they tend to knock the wireless
>>> cards offline right? My question to the masses is this:
>>>
>>> Do the newer 5GHz phones have the same effect or are they a good
>>> alternative to the 2.4GHz phones?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance!

TW

That wouldn't work for me due to the fact that I use D-Link "Super G" mode
which uses as I understand it channel bonding using ALL available channels.
Using super G mode my router is locked to channel 6, but in fact uses all
channels. If I turn off the super G I can choose any channel but loose out
on the performance side.
This is something I have learned to live with, with the phone interference,
by not getting to close to my wireless router.
I just posted to let people know that sometimes the phone takes the
interference and NOT the wireless network. My phone has NEVER interrupted my
wireless network.
Maybe this is because I use a pure D-Link wireless environment, but I don't
know this for a fact.