Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > I have a DOS program with an Icon how can I change it

Reply
Thread Tools

I have a DOS program with an Icon how can I change it

 
 
Christian Blackburn
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-12-2008
Hi Gang,

I have come across something that I wouldn't believe unless I'd seen
it with my own eyes, a DOS program with an icon. Can someone tell me
how to change the icon, my company no longer has the source code for
it, but we want the icon to match the rest of the suite. I know the
program isn't Win16 nor Win32 and I've tried about 10 resource and or
icon editors on it thus far and none work. I don't even know how Quan
got the icon in there, but I really need to change it. Any
suggestions? Has anyone done this? See screenshot:
http://www.fastandfriendly.biz/files...%20change1.png
http://www.fastandfriendly.biz/files...%20change2.png
http://www.fastandfriendly.biz/files...%20change3.png

Download Zip of EXE [844 bytes!](if you're concerned about safety, go
ahead and scan it at VirusTotal.com, that's what I'd do):
http://www.fastandfriendly.biz/files...o%20change.zip

Thanks,
Christian Blackburn
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Christian Blackburn
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-12-2008
Hi Sam,

I'm asking, because editing resources is something programmers know
about. DOS is clearly one of the first platforms C++ ever worked, so
I'm going to have to argue that there is something in C++ called DOS
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbo_C%2B%2B).

Thanks,
Christian

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Ian Collins
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-12-2008
Christian Blackburn wrote:
> Hi Sam,
>
> I'm asking, because editing resources is something programmers know
> about. DOS is clearly one of the first platforms C++ ever worked, so
> I'm going to have to argue that there is something in C++ called DOS
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbo_C%2B%2B).
>

That may be so, but your question falls under the domain of DOS
programming, not the C++ language. A DOS programming group is the best
place to ask.

--
Ian Collins.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jerry Coffin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-12-2008
In article <30bee21f-2fc2-43fd-b6a8-
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Hi Sam,
>
> I'm asking, because editing resources is something programmers know
> about. DOS is clearly one of the first platforms C++ ever worked, so
> I'm going to have to argue that there is something in C++ called DOS
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbo_C%2B%2B).


This argument seems to be roughly equivalent to saying: "pig are
animals that breathe air, so I'm going to have to argue that there's
something in air called pigs."

Your question will be topical when pigs fly!

--
Later,
Jerry.

The universe is a figment of its own imagination.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Christian Blackburn
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-13-2008
Hi Sam,

Apparently you think C++ runs inside a vacuum. Last time I checked it
requires a platform of some kind so maybe you could show me a little
latitude for asking a question about modifying an exe on a given
platform. Sure, there might be better places to ask this, but last
time I checked DOS is a diminishing group and they probably won't be
able to explain anything about the icons. I'm still not even sure I'm
working with a DOS application, but windows certainly treats it as one
(perhaps it's OS/2 or something). In any event, I couldn't locate a
resource editing newsgroup, so I thought I'd ask some hardcore
programmers. You all seem to be afraid to get your feet wet. If you
don't know the answer just leave this thread alone until somebody who
does is able to reply.

Cheers,
Christian
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jerry Coffin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-13-2008
In article <6b0ab019-0f75-4bda-97e4-9f321ad30e98
@q24g2000prf.googlegroups.com>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
> Hi Sam,
>
> Apparently you think C++ runs inside a vacuum. Last time I checked it
> requires a platform of some kind so maybe you could show me a little
> latitude for asking a question about modifying an exe on a given
> platform. Sure, there might be better places to ask this, but last
> time I checked DOS is a diminishing group and they probably won't be
> able to explain anything about the icons. I'm still not even sure I'm
> working with a DOS application, but windows certainly treats it as one
> (perhaps it's OS/2 or something). In any event, I couldn't locate a
> resource editing newsgroup, so I thought I'd ask some hardcore
> programmers. You all seem to be afraid to get your feet wet. If you
> don't know the answer just leave this thread alone until somebody who
> does is able to reply.


I (for one) do have some pretty good ideas of the answer -- but the
question isn't topical here, and in an effort at discouraging wildly
off-topic threads, I'm not going to answer here.

Given that it also relates (somewhat) to Windows, you might want to ask
someplace like comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32. It's open to _some_
argument whether it's completely topical there, but at least it's open
to argument, instead of obviously having nothing to do with the
newgroup's topic at all, as is the case here.

--
Later,
Jerry.

The universe is a figment of its own imagination.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Christian Hackl
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-13-2008
Sam wrote:

> It may be hard for you to wrap your brain around the following fact, but the
> "hardcore" of the "hardcore" programmers around here have nothing but
> contempt and hatred for Microsoft's shitware, and do not, and will not, use
> Windows.


Now that surprises me. I don't think I've ever seen such a hateful
anti-Microsoft flame by any of the regulars in this newsgroup,
especially as far as their C++ compiler is concerned.


--
Christian Hackl
 
Reply With Quote
 
Pascal J. Bourguignon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-14-2008
Sam <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Christian Blackburn writes:
>
>> Hi Gang,
>> I have come across something that I wouldn't believe unless I'd seen
>> it with my own eyes, a DOS program with an icon.

>
> What's "DOS"? There's no such thing called "DOS" in the C++
> programming language.
>
> Neither is there anything called an "icon", in the C++ programming language.
>
>> Can someone tell me
>> how to change the icon,

>
> Try asking on some other newsgroup, for this "DOS" thing that you keep
> talking about.


Wrong answer.

Try to explain how we could program in C++ a program that would scan a
DOS program, find its icon, and allow the user to edit it. How do we
implement in C++ such an icon editor?

class Icon;
class DosProgram: public std::fstream {
...
public:
Icon* readIcon(void);
void writeIcon(Icon* i);
};

....







--
__Pascal Bourguignon__
 
Reply With Quote
 
Michael DOUBEZ
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-14-2008
Pascal J. Bourguignon a écrit :
> Sam <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> Christian Blackburn writes:
>>
>>> Hi Gang,
>>> I have come across something that I wouldn't believe unless I'd seen
>>> it with my own eyes, a DOS program with an icon.

>> What's "DOS"? There's no such thing called "DOS" in the C++
>> programming language.
>>
>> Neither is there anything called an "icon", in the C++ programming language.
>>
>>> Can someone tell me
>>> how to change the icon,

>> Try asking on some other newsgroup, for this "DOS" thing that you keep
>> talking about.

>
> Wrong answer.
>
> Try to explain how we could program in C++ a program that would scan a
> DOS program, find its icon, and allow the user to edit it. How do we
> implement in C++ such an icon editor?
>
> class Icon;
> class DosProgram: public std::fstream {
> ...
> public:
> Icon* readIcon(void);
> void writeIcon(Icon* i);
> };
>
> ...


ANSWERS:
- Show what you have done up to now.
- And what is your c++ question ?


Concerning the format of the file, I guess wotsit.org is a good starting
point.

Looking into the files, they have no recognizable signature (NE, LE, MZ
....) in the header but I was able to open play with the icons with MSVC++6.

Michael
 
Reply With Quote
 
Christian Hackl
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-14-2008
Sam wrote:

> Christian Hackl writes:
>
>> Now that surprises me. I don't think I've ever seen such a hateful
>> anti-Microsoft flame by any of the regulars in this newsgroup,
>> especially as far as their C++ compiler is concerned.

>
> Well, you haven't been around much, methinks.


A few years, I'd say, although most of the time my participation was
passive.

> That's rather mild, compared to what else you'll find out there.


In my opinion, the only MS product that is getting bashed here by
regulars is VC6. Of course, bashing anything not related to C++ would be
off-topic, anyway


--
Christian Hackl
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: How include a large array? Edward A. Falk C Programming 1 04-04-2013 08:07 PM
DOS Program to Change File Associations James Reid C Programming 13 10-09-2006 10:22 PM
[newbie]How to install python under DOS and is there any Wxpython can be installed under dos? john san Python 19 02-18-2005 12:05 PM
for C~how to change the detail in the dos prompt title bar when run a program Leecher C++ 2 11-29-2003 04:10 PM
Executing DOS (yes, DOS) program from within Python? Ben Fairbank Python 2 10-07-2003 08:51 AM



Advertisments