Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Noisy heat sink fan.

Noisy heat sink fan.

joevan

I tightened the four screws holding it to the plate and it seems to
have helped. Maybe I should get another one to be on the safe side?

joevan

On Sat, 10 May 2008 15:32:59 GMT, joevan <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I tightened the four screws holding it to the plate and it seems to
>have helped. Maybe I should get another one to be on the safe side?

Its a foxconn and I can post a picture of the board section with it if
that would be of help.
I haven't been able to match the exact image on line.

joevan

On Sat, 10 May 2008 15:37:51 GMT, joevan <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Sat, 10 May 2008 15:32:59 GMT, joevan <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>I tightened the four screws holding it to the plate and it seems to
>>have helped. Maybe I should get another one to be on the safe side?

>Its a foxconn and I can post a picture of the board section with it if
>that would be of help.
>I haven't been able to match the exact image on line.

Here is a small picture of the unit.

http://download.yousendit.com/4D70A2D31CF584C4

thanatoid

joevan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news(E-Mail Removed):

> On Sat, 10 May 2008 15:37:51 GMT, joevan
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 10 May 2008 15:32:59 GMT, joevan
>><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>I tightened the four screws holding it to the plate and it
>>>seems to have helped. Maybe I should get another one to be
>>>on the safe side?

>>Its a foxconn and I can post a picture of the board section
>>with it if that would be of help.
>>I haven't been able to match the exact image on line.

> Here is a small picture of the unit.

You call THAT "small"? 300+ KB?

Anyway, it looks pretty standard except it /looks/ like someone
has done a little number on the screws. You may need a small
Vise-Grip to get them out. Names of cheap CPU fans are
irrelevant, they're all crap made in China (get a Tawainese one
if you can - I don't know if any are made in Japan or Korea) and
the sizes are standard because the CPU chips are standard size.

You have a variety of options. Search online, there are
heatsinks which use NO fans and work great (Zalman etc.), there
are noiseless fans, there are fans like yours which MAY just
need CLEANING, and there are other things. Sorry I can't be more
specific but this is really a simple matter.

A heat sink should have very thin layer of special goo so it
"connects" 100% with the CPU surface. Then you screw a fan (or
whatever) on top of it.

--
There is no doubt that life is given us, not to be enjoyed, but
to be overcome--to be got over.

- Arthur Schopenhauer

joevan

On 10 May 2008 17:27:51 GMT, thanatoid <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>joevan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news(E-Mail Removed) :
>
>> On Sat, 10 May 2008 15:37:51 GMT, joevan
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>Its a foxconn and I can post a picture of the board section
>>>with it if that would be of help.
>>>I haven't been able to match the exact image on line.

>> Here is a small picture of the unit.

>You call THAT "small"? 300+ KB?
>
>Anyway, it looks pretty standard except it /looks/ like someone
>has done a little number on the screws. You may need a small
>Vise-Grip to get them out. Names of cheap CPU fans are
>irrelevant, they're all crap made in China (get a Tawainese one
>if you can - I don't know if any are made in Japan or Korea) and
>the sizes are standard because the CPU chips are standard size.
>
>You have a variety of options. Search online, there are
>heatsinks which use NO fans and work great (Zalman etc.), there
>are noiseless fans, there are fans like yours which MAY just
>need CLEANING, and there are other things. Sorry I can't be more
>specific but this is really a simple matter.
>
>A heat sink should have very thin layer of special goo so it
>"connects" 100% with the CPU surface. Then you screw a fan (or
>whatever) on top of it.

Thanks, next time I shut down I will remove the fan and check it more
carefully. Sorry about the size. The photo starts out at 1.3 meg. I
resized it to 1/2 and saved at 92%. I use broadband so not thinking I
guess I still posted a needless size for this sort of helpful place.

joevan

On Sat, 10 May 2008 17:44:47 GMT, joevan <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>>>I tightened the four screws holding it to the plate and it

I think I know what the problem. The tiny little fan is in place with
screws that just fit between the fins on the heat sink. I can be moved
a bit up or down. If I have to I could use slightly larger screws,
but I seem to have it adjusted fairly well now.

ian field

"Meat Plow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 10 May 2008 19:07:25 +0000, joevan wrote:

>> I think I know what the problem. The tiny little fan is in place with
>> screws that just fit between the fins on the heat sink. I can be moved
>> a bit up or down. If I have to I could use slightly larger screws,
>> but I seem to have it adjusted fairly well now.

> Use some hot glue.

Excellent fan failure warning device: fan fails - heatsink heats up - hot
melt glue melts - fan hits bottom of PC case with loud clunk!

Blinky the Shark

joevan wrote:

> I think I know what the problem. The tiny little fan is in place with
> screws that just fit between the fins on the heat sink.

What the heck kinda way is *that* to secure a fan? Did you get this
system at the thrift shop or something?

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

PeeCee

"joevan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I tightened the four screws holding it to the plate and it seems to
> have helped. Maybe I should get another one to be on the safe side?

Joevan

Attaching those fans to the heatsink by screwing into the interfin gap is
quite normal.
If they won't tighten, remove the fan altogether and squeeze the fins
together with a pair of pliers.
The heatsink material is aluminium and should bend quite easily.

While you have the fan off remove the round label over the back and apply
some drops of 20/50 motor oil to the bearing, work it in and reseal the
label.
(most chipset fans are of this phosphor bronze bearing type, however if it
is a ball bearing type there will be no way to lubricate the bearing and if
noisy the only way to fix is by replacement)

Best
Paul

thanatoid

"ian field" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:mooVj.37176$(E-Mail Removed)2:

Isn't computer technology just ****ing STATE OF THE ART????

>>> I can be moved a bit up or down. If I
>>> have to I could use slightly larger screws, but I seem to
>>> have it adjusted fairly well now.

>> Use some hot glue.

> Excellent fan failure warning device: fan fails - heatsink
> heats up - hot melt glue melts - fan hits bottom of PC case
> with loud clunk!

I was wondering how to comment but you said it SO much better
than anything I could have come up with!