Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Re: select statement question...

Re: select statement question...

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit dba:

> Trying to use size parameter in select statement. Problem... it raises
> the box from the line instead of lowering it.

The select element is inline by default, and it participates in
rendering as if it were a large letter. In particular, its lower edge
sits on the baseline of text.

> Select an area {box with multiple select items only showing one} then
> select a {box with multiple select items only showing one}. Select
> boxes line up with the text line.

That's because the elements are vertically smaller than the line height,
or just a little taller. (Actually, what matters is whether the element
is taller than the distance from baseline to the upper edge of the line,
as defined by its line height.)

> However, when I use the size parameter to show two variables at a time
> the box moves up on line instead of down one line. Is there a way to
> reverse that and have the box "lower?" on line?

To change this, you change the vertical-align property of the select
elements.

You can add the following to your CSS stylesheet:

select { vertical-align: text-top; }

> Any assistance will be appreciated.

The best approach is to put one input item and its label on one line.
This is good for clarity and for accessibility. Example:

You may still have the same problem in rendering, but the solution is
the same. Besides, now you have the option of using a table, with labels
in one column, input fields in another.

Don't try to construct a sentences that contain input items. If
explanations are needed, present them as such as text before the input
items.

--
Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit dba:

> Using a form to present database fields for selection. Have been
> trying using radio buttons etc to get it so the user can select one
> person from a multiple person presentation. Not have any success.

Can you please post the URL of your attempt? The basic idea is that you
just a have a set of <input type="radio" ...> elements with the same
name="..." attribute. There are complications if you want to make things
work smoothly and reliably, especially the initial selection problem
(see http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/forms/choices.html ), but apart from
that, the following approach should work well:

Doe</label></div>
Doe</label></div>

Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/