Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Mysterious cookie problem

Mysterious cookie problem

Bruce W.1

BACKGROUND

My ASP.NET app has been running (or rather available) on a server for
about 4 months now. The server is at
http://www.webhost4life.com/
They don't add cookies to any of the sites they host.

The app was created with VS.NET v.7. And the server is running Windows
2000 Advanced Server.

My app does not use cookies but it does use in-process session state.

My IE6 is set to prompt when a website wants to set a cookie.

MYSTERIOUS PROBLEM

Just in the last couple of weeks I've noticed that my web app wants to
set a cookie. It did not do this before. So I click allow cookie.

Then I go to the cookies folder and there is no cookie for my website.
That's good because my site does not use cookies.

So what's going on here? The only system changes have been the usual
Windows updates, on both my PC and the server.

Why does the cookie dialog appear? Does anyone know what's going on
here?

Thanks for your help.

Michal A. Valasek

Hello,

| My app does not use cookies but it does use in-process session state.
| Just in the last couple of weeks I've noticed that my web app wants to
| set a cookie. It did not do this before. So I click allow cookie.
---
| Then I go to the cookies folder and there is no cookie for my website.
| That's good because my site does not use cookies.
|
| So what's going on here?

For managing session state are used cookies with no expiration date
specified. These are "per-session" cookies, which are not stored to disk.
Are kept in memory and disappears web browsing session ends.

IMHO, windowsupdate on your computer caused your browser to ask for
permission of using these non-permanent cookies.

--
Michal A. Valasek, Altair Communications, http://www.altaircom.net
Please do not reply to this e-mail, for contact see http://www.rider.cz