Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: Spybot S&D

Re: Spybot S&D

monkey_cartman@yahoo.com

Sarah Houston wrote:
> After downloading the latest free version of Spybot S&D recently, my
> Winfax pro 10 started hanging up all the time when starting it.
>
> I checked in the running programs and kept seeing massive teatimer usage.
>
> I found with Google that it's part of S&D.
>
> So I went in there and disabled the teatimer, per a post I saw on the web
> from someone else, and now Winfax starts just fine and the computer seems
> to run faster in general.
>
> Has anyone else dealt with this kind of thing from S&D?

Yea, if I install SBSD teatimes may or may not work correctly, I just
don't install it.

monkey_cartman@yahoo.com

Sarah Houston wrote:
> http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote :
>

> > Sarah Houston wrote:
> >> After downloading the latest free version of Spybot S&D recently, my
> >> Winfax pro 10 started hanging up all the time when starting it.
> >>
> >> I checked in the running programs and kept seeing massive teatimer
> >> usage.
> >>
> >> I found with Google that it's part of S&D.
> >>
> >> So I went in there and disabled the teatimer, per a post I saw on
> >> the web from someone else, and now Winfax starts just fine and the
> >> computer seems to run faster in general.
> >>
> >> Has anyone else dealt with this kind of thing from S&D?

> > Yea, if I install SBSD teatimes may or may not work correctly, I just
> > don't install it.
> >

> Does it have its own uninstaller program, so it won't trash the registry
> when uninstalled? I'd like to get rid of it now but don't trust Win XP
> uninstall to do it right.

That's a tough question, you can look in the folder, should be in
program files. It's tough because add\remove can do it wrong, likewise
the programs uninstallers can foul things up. I would just do the add/
remove programs.

You know, just a thought, I don't use these programs anymore, or
rarely. I found that windows keeps people kind over overly sensitive
about doing windows when in reality it's a pretty solid system.
Causing them to install never perfected programs like teatimer and
other programs that mess with the registry. I think all the helper
apps
actually degrade the quality of the operating system so I really don't
use them

All I use for security is a router and use firefox and the built in
firewall, or I like outpost free for xp, and get updates when they
come out.

Before you download something google the name of the program with
"spyware" You will probably never find a virus or spyware if you
always do that. You can google "problem" with the name of the program
and can usually get an idea of what other problems people may have had
are.

On that note windows xp has service pack 3 update out. Some have had
problems with it, mine went pretty well and the system is working well.

PeterC

On Sat, 10 May 2008 21:33:13 -0500, Sarah Houston wrote:

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote :
>

>> Sarah Houston wrote:
>>> After downloading the latest free version of Spybot S&D recently, my
>>> Winfax pro 10 started hanging up all the time when starting it.
>>>
>>> I checked in the running programs and kept seeing massive teatimer
>>> usage.
>>>
>>> I found with Google that it's part of S&D.
>>>
>>> So I went in there and disabled the teatimer, per a post I saw on
>>> the web from someone else, and now Winfax starts just fine and the
>>> computer seems to run faster in general.
>>>
>>> Has anyone else dealt with this kind of thing from S&D?

>> Yea, if I install SBSD teatimes may or may not work correctly, I just
>> don't install it.
>>

> Does it have its own uninstaller program, so it won't trash the registry
> when uninstalled? I'd like to get rid of it now but don't trust Win XP
> uninstall to do it right.

Teatimer is just on or off - doesn't need uninstalling.

If you want to remove Spybot, try Revo uninstaller. Use it in medium or
advanced mode, but be v. careful about inspecting items to remove in the
Registry.
--
Peter.
It's not rocket science, you know.