Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > High Mag. at reduced Pixels.

High Mag. at reduced Pixels.

Bob Williams

The 10 MP Panasonic FZ-50, and perhaps others, have a very interesting
feature. The normal Zoom Range of the FZ-50 is 12X, (35-420 mm).
However, the Extended Optical Zoom function uses the center of the
10-megapixel CCD, and extends the zoom ratio beyond 12x when the
resolution is decreased. For example, the 12x optical zoom extends to
21.4x for 3-megapixel image recording , or 17.1x for 5-megapixel and
13.4x for 8-megapixel recording.
If I understand it correctly, this is not simply a Digital Zoom action,
but an honest-to-goodness OPTICAL zoom operation.
How does Panny do this?
Bob Williams

Alex Monro

Bob Williams wrote:

> The 10 MP Panasonic FZ-50, and perhaps others, have a very interesting
> feature. The normal Zoom Range of the FZ-50 is 12X, (35-420 mm).
> However, the Extended Optical Zoom function uses the center of the
> 10-megapixel CCD, and extends the zoom ratio beyond 12x when the
> resolution is decreased. For example, the 12x optical zoom extends to
> 21.4x for 3-megapixel image recording , or 17.1x for 5-megapixel and
> 13.4x for 8-megapixel recording.
> If I understand it correctly, this is not simply a Digital Zoom
> action, but an honest-to-goodness OPTICAL zoom operation.

No, it's just digital zoom, without interpolating back up to the full
image size. You would get exactly the same effect by cropping in an
image editor program.

The only difference between this and other digital zoom functions is
that Panasonic is a bit more honest in making it clear that you lose
resolution.
--
Alex Monro
Exeter, UK

pjdd@rediffmail.com

On May 10, 1:22*pm, Alex Monro <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Bob Williams wrote:
> > The 10 MP Panasonic FZ-50, and perhaps others, have a very interesting
> > feature. The normal Zoom Range of the FZ-50 is 12X, (35-420 mm).
> > However, the Extended Optical Zoom function uses the center of the
> > 10-megapixel CCD, and extends the zoom ratio beyond 12x when the
> > resolution is decreased. For example, the 12x optical zoom extends to
> > 21.4x for 3-megapixel image recording , or 17.1x for 5-megapixel and
> > 13.4x for 8-megapixel recording.
> > If I understand it correctly, this is not simply a Digital Zoom
> > action, but an honest-to-goodness OPTICAL zoom operation.

> No, it's just digital zoom, without interpolating back up to the full
> image size. *You would get exactly the same effect by cropping in an
> image editor program.
>
> The only difference between this and other digital zoom functions is
> that Panasonic is a bit more honest in making it clear that you lose
> resolution.

Making the subject appear larger by pre-cropping in the camera
could be useful for people who either don't want or don't know
how to process a picture with a computer.

I know several people who enjoy snapping pictures, but have never
held a mouse in their hands. They either let their kids download
their shots to a computer or take the camera directly to a print
shop to order 4x6 prints. There must be millions of such people
around the world and, in their own way, many of them are no less
serious about taking pictures than the people in this NG. Catering
to them is simply good business strategy and IMHO, more relevant
than cramming more and more pixels into a small sensor.

Bob Williams

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)lid wrote:
> Bob Williams wrote:
>> The 10 MP Panasonic FZ-50, and perhaps others, have a very interesting
>> feature. The normal Zoom Range of the FZ-50 is 12X, (35-420 mm).
>> However, the Extended Optical Zoom function uses the center of the
>> 10-megapixel CCD, and extends the zoom ratio beyond 12x when the
>> resolution is decreased. For example, the 12x optical zoom extends to
>> 21.4x for 3-megapixel image recording , or 17.1x for 5-megapixel and
>> 13.4x for 8-megapixel recording.
>> If I understand it correctly, this is not simply a Digital Zoom
>> action, but an honest-to-goodness OPTICAL zoom operation.
>> How does Panny do this?

> The magic of the advertising lie.
>
> Doug McDonald

That was my first assumption too, but why does Panny call it "Extended
OPTICAL Zoom"?
Why not just call it Digital Zoom like everyone else?
"CREATIVE" Advertising I guess .
Bob

reduced scope imports VisionSet Java 2 12-17-2005 02:29 PM
[HELP] <GC: Reduced max java heap size to .... bytes due to memory contraints> ] Leon Java 2 06-15-2005 09:26 PM
Ciscon ISDN router-reduced dial out? David Wood Cisco 3 02-06-2005 11:18 PM
ViewState Size Reduced, but not Completely Empty Jeff S ASP .Net 1 01-20-2004 01:55 AM
OT H1b Visa limit reduced by 135,000 wahooo congress Rick MCSE 1 10-14-2003 04:40 PM

Advertisments