Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: battery life in movie mode

Re: battery life in movie mode

Dave Cohen

Sandro wrote:
> modern digital cameras can take decent movies....
>
> But ... in practice, how long will the battery last when a camera is
> used to take a movie ?
>
> I have a Samsung TZ3, but I guess the same basic ideas can be applied
> to other brands as well.
>
> In other words : with a 4GB memory card, the manual states I can
> register 44 minutes of movies.
>
> But can the battery last 44minutes without being recharged ?

Why not just run the bloody thing and you tell us.
Dave Cohen

Roy G

"Sandro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 09 May 2008 19:02:51 GMT, Dave Cohen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Sandro wrote:
>>> modern digital cameras can take decent movies....
>>>
>>> But ... in practice, how long will the battery last when a camera is
>>> used to take a movie ?
>>>
>>> I have a Samsung TZ3, but I guess the same basic ideas can be applied
>>> to other brands as well.
>>>
>>> In other words : with a 4GB memory card, the manual states I can
>>> register 44 minutes of movies.
>>>
>>> But can the battery last 44minutes without being recharged ?

>>Why not just run the bloody thing and you tell us.

> because my camera has got only 1GB card, and I'm not sure if it's
> worth buying a bigger one.
>
> To take pictures, 1Gb is more than enough for me.
> A 4Gb card is useful only to hold movies , IMHO.

Well try taking 4 lots of 1 Gig movies without recharging.

That might let you work out whether the insignificant cost of a 4 Gig Card
is worth it.

You have looked at the online prices recently, haven't you????

Roy G

ASAAR

On Sat, 10 May 2008 00:39:19 +0200, Sandro wrote:

>>> But can the battery last 44minutes without being recharged ?

>>Why not just run the bloody thing and you tell us.

> because my camera has got only 1GB card, and I'm not sure if it's
> worth buying a bigger one.

Have you checked your camera's manual? Most won't have this
information, and while Canon also doesn't, they do usually provide
"playback time" (defined as "continuous playback at 3 seconds per
image"). I wouldn't expect it to be the same as the amount of time
the camera can take movies, but for the A640, it's rated for an
impressive 20 hours of playback time using either alkaline or NiMH
AA batteries, so I'd be quite surprised if the A640 wouldn't be able
to make movies far longer than 44 minutes using alkalines, or per
charge using NiMH batteries. If your TZ3 isn't a real battery hog
it should also be able to last more than 44 minutes per charge.

Tzortzakakis Dimitrios

? "ASAAR" <(E-Mail Removed)> ?????? ??? ??????
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>>Why not just run the bloody thing and you tell us.

>> because my camera has got only 1GB card, and I'm not sure if it's
>> worth buying a bigger one.

> Have you checked your camera's manual? Most won't have this
> information, and while Canon also doesn't, they do usually provide
> "playback time" (defined as "continuous playback at 3 seconds per
> image"). I wouldn't expect it to be the same as the amount of time
> the camera can take movies, but for the A640, it's rated for an
> impressive 20 hours of playback time using either alkaline or NiMH
> AA batteries, so I'd be quite surprised if the A640 wouldn't be able
> to make movies far longer than 44 minutes using alkalines, or per
> charge using NiMH batteries. If your TZ3 isn't a real battery hog
> it should also be able to last more than 44 minutes per charge.

Why not get a camcorder which is tailored for the task? I usually carry
both, and have made lots of videos (mini DV) from my sister's and
brother-in-law concerts (they are both musicians). I have a sony dcr hc-32e
and (still) a nytech www.nytech.de

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
major in electrical engineering

ASAAR

On Sat, 24 May 2008 20:54:30 +0300, Tzortzakakis Dimitrios wrote:

>> Have you checked your camera's manual? Most won't have this
>> information, and while Canon also doesn't, they do usually provide
>> "playback time" (defined as "continuous playback at 3 seconds per
>> image"). I wouldn't expect it to be the same as the amount of time
>> the camera can take movies, but for the A640, it's rated for an
>> impressive 20 hours of playback time using either alkaline or NiMH
>> AA batteries, so I'd be quite surprised if the A640 wouldn't be able
>> to make movies far longer than 44 minutes using alkalines, or per
>> charge using NiMH batteries. If your TZ3 isn't a real battery hog
>> it should also be able to last more than 44 minutes per charge.

> Why not get a camcorder which is tailored for the task? I usually carry
> both, and have made lots of videos (mini DV) from my sister's and
> brother-in-law concerts (they are both musicians). I have a sony dcr hc-32e
> and (still) a nytech www.nytech.de

Anyone that makes lots of videos (or wants better audio) should
probably follow your advice. As my main interest is still
photography (I probably take less than 10 minutes of video per year,
and the camera's video quality is more than adequate) I'm much more
likely to buy/waste money on new cameras and lenses than on
camcorders. The last two I bought (and which haven't been used in
many years) were from Sony and Fuji, both using 8mm tapes.

Tzortzakakis Dimitrios

? "ASAAR" <(E-Mail Removed)> ?????? ??? ??????
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 24 May 2008 20:54:30 +0300, Tzortzakakis Dimitrios wrote:
>
>>> Have you checked your camera's manual? Most won't have this
>>> information, and while Canon also doesn't, they do usually provide
>>> "playback time" (defined as "continuous playback at 3 seconds per
>>> image"). I wouldn't expect it to be the same as the amount of time
>>> the camera can take movies, but for the A640, it's rated for an
>>> impressive 20 hours of playback time using either alkaline or NiMH
>>> AA batteries, so I'd be quite surprised if the A640 wouldn't be able
>>> to make movies far longer than 44 minutes using alkalines, or per
>>> charge using NiMH batteries. If your TZ3 isn't a real battery hog
>>> it should also be able to last more than 44 minutes per charge.

>> Why not get a camcorder which is tailored for the task? I usually carry
>> both, and have made lots of videos (mini DV) from my sister's and
>> brother-in-law concerts (they are both musicians). I have a sony dcr
>> hc-32e
>> and (still) a nytech www.nytech.de

> Anyone that makes lots of videos (or wants better audio) should
> probably follow your advice. As my main interest is still
> photography (I probably take less than 10 minutes of video per year,
> and the camera's video quality is more than adequate) I'm much more
> likely to buy/waste money on new cameras and lenses than on
> camcorders. The last two I bought (and which haven't been used in
> many years) were from Sony and Fuji, both using 8mm tapes.

Ee, kamaimasen yo, as the japanese say, yes of course. I use both, the
camcorder and the still camera