Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Re: Unstable wireless connection setting

Re: Unstable wireless connection setting

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Het the Wireless components out of the Standby loop. I.e they should switch
to standby.
male sure that the Network card is Not set to Power Save.
http://www.ezlan.net/example/powersave.jpg
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Marvin Kornblau" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:48237401$0$7725$(E-Mail Removed)...
> If I shut my computer down and then, later, boot up, my wireless
> connection to my Belkin router is usually lost. This also usually happens
> if the computer goes into Standby.
>
> I can reconnect by going to "Wireless Network Connection Properties",
> finding my unconnected Belkin router in the Wireless Networks Tab and
> reentering my "WPA PSA TKIP" network key in Belkin properties, and then
> repairing the internet connection.
>
> None of this should be needed and, in fact, only recently started
> happening.
>
> Any ideas how to stop this from happening?

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
This screen shots are from WinXP with Buffalo Wireless card.
Windows read the info for the menus from the card's drivers, if you have a
different card it would look different but the principle should be the same.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Marvin Kornblau" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:48244e8e$0$12911$(E-Mail Removed)...
> My settings do not look like the ones in your link. I am using XP Pro.
> Does that matter?
>
> Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:
>> Hi
>> Het the Wireless components out of the Standby loop. I.e they should
>> switch to standby.
>> male sure that the Network card is Not set to Power Save.
>> http://www.ezlan.net/example/powersave.jpg
>> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>>
>> "Marvin Kornblau" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:48237401$0$7725$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> If I shut my computer down and then, later, boot up, my wireless
>>> connection to my Belkin router is usually lost. This also usually
>>> happens if the computer goes into Standby.
>>>
>>> I can reconnect by going to "Wireless Network Connection Properties",
>>> finding my unconnected Belkin router in the Wireless Networks Tab and
>>> reentering my "WPA PSA TKIP" network key in Belkin properties, and then
>>> repairing the internet connection.
>>>
>>> None of this should be needed and, in fact, only recently started
>>> happening.
>>>
>>> Any ideas how to stop this from happening?

Carthell

On May 9, 12:53*pm, Marvin Kornblau <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I used the closest setting that I could find. *It made
> matters worse.
>
> I then went back to where it was before and it took endless
> futzing around
> before I could connect to the Belkin network. *I have no
> idea of exactly what
> I did as it took "endless" repetitions to connect. *Any
> other ideas?

Barring environmental problems (Hey! Why are you shoving those
I-beams into your closet??):

My mom suffered through a wireless PCI card and a USB
wireless device that (on a Win98se machine, mind you) simply
could not maintain a connection to my router because it depended
so much on the 'puter to do the work.

Check the CPU and memory utilization with and without the device.
If you see a significant spike in either, trade in the device for
wired NIC and a wireless access point. With my set-up, my mom's
PC is happier, and I don't spend hours rebooting and re-entering
security keys until something decides to work.